Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-24-2023, 06:30 AM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The poster you're both referring to said explicitly they're using the Books app on a Mac and iPhone, not a Kindle, and they're downloading .acsm files, hence not Amazon ebooks. Their issue has actually nothing to do with Amazon or this thread.
The OP also said that he gets a Mobi file. That would mean (to me) that he may be sending to a Kindle and it's doing the conversion based on the first Kindle format in the list.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 06:44 AM   #32
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The OP also said that he gets a Mobi file. That would mean (to me) that he may be sending to a Kindle and it's doing the conversion based on the first Kindle format in the list.
They said nothing about a Kindle. Yes, the mobi thing is weird. So is epubs automagically vanishing. Something is really wrong there, or the OP left something unsaid.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2023, 10:56 PM   #33
endriu
Enthusiast
endriu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Amazon is not deleting side-loaded eBooks. If Amazon was doing this, there would be a major outcry and we'd have more then 1 post on MR about this.
Yes it does. Happened to me yesterday, when I turned on the Wi-Fi (for some articles sent using Send to kindle extension to be downloaded). I was left with empty author folders under /documents
endriu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 11:18 PM   #34
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
But are the books still openable on the Kindle?
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 08:45 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by endriu View Post
Yes it does. Happened to me yesterday, when I turned on the Wi-Fi (for some articles sent using Send to kindle extension to be downloaded). I was left with empty author folders under /documents
If you use Calibre to side load and you've not changed the default template and you delete from the Kindle using the Kindle' software, you will eventually end up with empty author directories.
Advert
Old 12-06-2023, 10:37 AM   #36
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
you can download all your ebooks it just takes a while. you don't need to do 25 at a time i do about 200 at a time
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 02:39 PM   #37
endriu
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
But are the books still openable on the Kindle?
No, they are all gone.
Old 12-06-2023, 02:40 PM   #38
endriu
Enthusiast

Quote:
If you use Calibre to side load and you've not changed the default template and you delete from the Kindle using the Kindle' software, you will eventually end up with empty author directories.
I DID NOT delete anything. Just turned on the Wi-Fi. Why is it so hard to grasp?
Old 12-06-2023, 02:46 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by endriu View Post
I DID NOT delete anything. Just turned on the Wi-Fi. Why is it so hard to grasp?
What I said is one way to get empty author directories.

If Amazon is deleting side loaded eBooks, keep WiFi off.
Old 12-06-2023, 02:50 PM   #40
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
If Amazon is deleting side loaded eBooks, keep WiFi off.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 12:49 AM   #41
talespin
talespin began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
By default, if you haven't changed things, calibre will convert Epub files to Mobi upon sending them to your Kindle. So the mobi file is the only thing sent to your Kindle from calibre.
Thank you for your reply. First off, I have absolutely no idea what things I could change. Second, I don’t have a Kindle. The flow is public library -> acsm -> MacBook -> Adobe Reader -> calibre -> Books app. No Kindle involved.

This doesn’t bother me, because the books remain in the Books library on my MacBook and I can convert the mobi in my calibre library to an epub if I need to. This was just something I noticed that I didn’t understand.
talespin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 06:32 AM   #42
hengyu
Enthusiast
hengyu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2016
Same thing just happened to me, turned on WiFi, lost hundreds of sideloaded books.
hengyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 08:57 AM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hengyu View Post
Same thing just happened to me, turned on WiFi, lost hundreds of sideloaded books.
There is a very simple solution. Do not turn on WiFi.

There's another partial solution should you want or need to turn on WiFi. Use calibre with the Reading List plugin. You create a Y/N column. Then the Reading list plugin will allow you to populate the column based on the books on your Kindle. So if you ever have books removed, you'll know what was on the Kindle and can easily put them back. I have this very same setup for my Libra 2. The column gets a Y if the book is on the Reader and emptied when the book has been removed. Simple really.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-19-2023 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-19-2023, 02:49 PM   #44
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle Paperwhite 5, 16 gb version
Well, I haven't had it happen ::crosses fingers:: at least not yet. Turned on WiFi just this morning and all my sideloaded books are right there in my Documents folder. I've been using Send To Kindle to get them on my Paperwhite, does that make a difference? Or is this happening no matter which method is used?

Am on my first Kindle, still trying to figure out how to sort books into shelves or collections or whatever like they are on my Kobo. Most of what's on it are direct freebies/purchases/Kindle Unlimited loans from Amazon. There are many (too many!) books that I got from other stores, giveaways and fanfiction sites all waiting to be added but if they're going to get zapped by whatever's hitting some people's Kindles ... that's a thing I'd like to avoid.
Byrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2023, 02:58 PM   #45
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdie View Post
Well, I haven't had it happen ::crosses fingers:: at least not yet. Turned on WiFi just this morning and all my sideloaded books are right there in my Documents folder. I've been using Send To Kindle to get them on my Paperwhite, does that make a difference? Or is this happening no matter which method is used?

Am on my first Kindle, still trying to figure out how to sort books into shelves or collections or whatever like they are on my Kobo. Most of what's on it are direct freebies/purchases/Kindle Unlimited loans from Amazon. There are many (too many!) books that I got from other stores, giveaways and fanfiction sites all waiting to be added but if they're going to get zapped by whatever's hitting some people's Kindles ... that's a thing I'd like to avoid.
Send to Kindle is not affected. Only books sideloaded via USB seem to disappear.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote