Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-09-2023, 01:36 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Hanlon's Razor.

Personally, I tend to the belief that the issue may be people who use Amazon's ASIN identifier and send the book as a ebook not a personal document or who used Download & transfer via USB to download books that for whatever reason are no longer in your Amazon library.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 02:51 PM   #17
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Hanlon's Razor.

Personally, I tend to the belief that the issue may be people who use Amazon's ASIN identifier and send the book as a ebook not a personal document.
That's what I did with all my Amazon purchases. They all went into Calibre, got edited and sent from there to my Kindles via USB. If Amazon now deletes all such books, that's seriously diminishing any wish I might have to ever buy a Kindle again. Yes, there are workarounds (delete ASINs, don't ever switch wifi on), but it's still a PITA.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2023, 10:14 AM   #18
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Not the same issue, but related - I have to keep redownloading my regular books from Amazon (not side-loaded from Calibre). It’s annoying, especially when I’m away from my wifi. Plus it makes me feel like I don’t own my books.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 06:19 PM   #19
acprinter
Groupie
acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 11th generation
I reported this happening quite some time ago. Is it Amazon or a glitch in Calibre?
acprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 06:27 PM   #20
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acprinter View Post
I reported this happening quite some time ago. Is it Amazon or a glitch in Calibre?
Amazon, of course, because it only happens when wifi is on.
Advert
Old 11-13-2023, 12:21 PM   #21
DanDavis872
DanDavis872 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I'm fairly confident I understand what is happening with a very similar occurrence for me.

Basically if the book has metadata identifying it with an Amazon book, regardless of how it came to be on your device, and the status of that ebook changes from present to absent/unavailable on your Kindle, then when the device syncs with Amazon it will remove the ebooks.

This is avoidable by ensuring that if the ebooks are or will be removed/absent from your device (Content and Devices of your Amazon account), your Amazon account does not consider them to be on the Kindle in question and that this same device is synced with the server BEFORE side-loading the ebooks from Calibre. Otherwise, the Kindle will scan your new books, sync with the server, notice that since the last sync you removed several of these books, and delete them from the device.

Do note that "deleting" the book from your content history prevents Amazon from syncing progress and other data between devices if you use these features but merely removing them from the device according to your account is effective.

Last edited by DanDavis872; 11-13-2023 at 12:24 PM.
DanDavis872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 01:27 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by janrey View Post
https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...loaded-ebooks/

It maybe a bug between Calibre and Kindle.
Nah! If it was, we'd have already heard of it and it would have been fixed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 02:47 PM   #23
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDavis872 View Post
Basically if the book has metadata identifying it with an Amazon book, regardless of how it came to be on your device, and the status of that ebook changes from present to absent/unavailable on your Kindle, then when the device syncs with Amazon it will remove the ebooks. removing them from the device according to your account is effective.
Is this by title/author, or something else?
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 04:55 PM   #24
talespin
talespin began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
I've noticed something similar, though in a slightly different setup. I use ascm files to download the books themselves into the Adobe Digital Editions app on my MacBook. Since I don't like any of the Adobe readers, I convert the books with calibre and read them using the native Books apps on my MacBook and iPhone.

Sometime later, I'll discover that both the original epub and the calibre epub have been replaced by a single mobi file. After reading this thread, I'm convinced that there's some automatic library housekeeping going on behind the scenes. This happens only to the epubs in my calibre library - the books I've added to my native Books libraries aren't affected.
talespin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 11:32 AM   #25
DanDavis872
DanDavis872 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Is this by title/author, or something else?
I am not certain. I would guess ASIN or something else embedded and perhaps not read by Calibre. Since this is avoidable by returning or removing the book according to your Amazon account, I have not experimented much with any other method.

I believe that I once had success converting a book to EPUB to prevent it being auto-pruned from my Kindle, which suggests to me the metadata in question is embedded and not immediately visible/editable to Calibre.
DanDavis872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 12:39 AM   #26
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by talespin View Post
Sometime later, I'll discover that both the original Epub and the calibre Epub have been replaced by a single mobi file.
By default, if you haven't changed things, calibre will convert Epub files to Mobi upon sending them to your Kindle. So the mobi file is the only thing sent to your Kindle from calibre.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 03:32 AM   #27
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

There's no automatic housekeeping going on behind the scenes in calibre. If your epub files disappear from your library without any action on your part, something is seriously wrong. Cloud syncing or a networked drive are the usual culprits.
Old 11-24-2023, 04:38 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by talespin View Post
I've noticed something similar, though in a slightly different setup. I use ascm files to download the books themselves into the Adobe Digital Editions app on my MacBook. Since I don't like any of the Adobe readers, I convert the books with calibre and read them using the native Books apps on my MacBook and iPhone.

Sometime later, I'll discover that both the original epub and the calibre epub have been replaced by a single mobi file. After reading this thread, I'm convinced that there's some automatic library housekeeping going on behind the scenes. This happens only to the epubs in my calibre library - the books I've added to my native Books libraries aren't affected.
If you have a Kindle that can read KF8, you'll want to set calibre to use AZW3 as the first format for your Kindle. Also, calibre does not remove any eBooks from your library. I've been using it since it was LibPRS500 for the Sony Reader and it's never once removed any eBooks from any library,
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 05:08 AM   #29
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you have a Kindle that can read KF8, you'll want to set calibre to use AZW3 as the first format for your Kindle. Also, calibre does not remove any eBooks from your library. I've been using it since it was LibPRS500 for the Sony Reader and it's never once removed any eBooks from any library,
Agree 100% with all that.

I think I've been using Calibre since version 1.15, released in December 2013. XP till 2016 (Ver 1.48 is on VM clone of my 2002 laptop). Briefly Win7. Linux since 2017. I've never lost files in Calibre. Any issues I ever had with conversion were either the wrong imported content or wrong conversion output settings.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 06:07 AM   #30
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
By default, if you haven't changed things, calibre will convert Epub files to Mobi upon sending them to your Kindle. So the mobi file is the only thing sent to your Kindle from calibre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The poster you're both referring to said explicitly they're using the Books app on a Mac and iPhone, not a Kindle, and they're downloading .acsm files, hence not Amazon ebooks. Their issue has actually nothing to do with Amazon or this thread.