Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-17-2016, 11:06 AM   #1
mariaclaudia
Zealot
mariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of light

Device: none
Problems with the author's link

Good Morning:
Today I noticed a problem in Calibre. Each time you add a new book by an author that I have in my library, whether a book or several who added, the "link" corresponding to each author field is reset to the generic Google. All authors'm getting them the link that corresponds to the website where regularly downloaded ebooks, and a few days ago (thought I might have been wrong of me to not save the changes good) happens: every time I add a book again, if the author is already in the library, changes to the generic link with Google.

Sorry my grammar
Regards from Lima, Perú

Blessings
mariaclaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 02:52 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@mariaclaudia - it works fine for me

In my journals library, all authors have a unique value in the Manage Authors author_link field, they are urls to notes in an Evernote database. The value of the author_link remains as it was when I add new 'books' for an existing author

When I add new books to that library I use the 'get metadata from file name' option - i.e. the file name will be something like Anne-Marie Slaughter - A Duty to Prevent.

Can you provide
  • an example of an author and a couple of books (just the name and titles),
  • the value you would have in the author's link field
  • the value would have in the Preferences->Look and Feel->Book Details
  • what method you use to get the Author name when you add books - from the file name, or from within the book - ie is the first option checked or not

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	145621

The fact that I have a link to a note in an Evernote database is irrelevant. Before I thought of using links to Evernote Notes, they were links to folders, then they were links to a local web server.

In the Look and Feel field I have search-calibre, but I just did a quick test with the default value (https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?search={author}) and that made no difference.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2016, 04:12 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Are you setting this link via Manage Authors (Tag browser Context)?

Is the Author being (AS) imported Precisely the same as the ones in the DB or do you fix those?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:22 PM   #4
mariaclaudia
Zealot
mariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for answer. My mistake, I have not explained well. By example.

1. I open Calibre and search for Pablo Neruda (authors:"=Neruda, Pablo")
2. Then I select a book, anyone
3. To the right of the screen I see the cover of the book and some information about it
4. If I move the cursor over "Authors: Neruda, Pablo", Calibre shows me the web address assigned by myself to this author, in this case https://www.epublibre.org/autor/index/2813
5. Now, I go to the website where I download epubs
6. Search for something new by Pablo Neruda, and download it
7. Add this book to my library
8. Close Calibre (only for precaution)
9. Start Calibre and search for Pablo Neruda
10. Now, when I move the cursor over "Authors: Neruda, Pablo" I see this link: https://google.com/search?q=Neruda,+Pablo

That's the problem. At this moment I have 2,109 authors and 8,537 (8,440 epub and 99 PDF). I have Calibre 2.49 [64bit] version. Any time I add one or more books, If the author have a personal link, when I add a new book, this link is restored to the "original"

Again, sorry my grammar
Best regards from Lima, Perú
Old 01-17-2016, 05:33 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@mariaclaudia - in my previous post I asked about this setting

Name:	attachment.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	145623

Is the first setting ticked or not ticked ?

And can you confirm that in this setting,

Views:	315
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	145624

where I have

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?search={author}

you have

https://www.google.com/#q={author}

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-17-2016 at 05:36 PM.
Advert
Old 01-17-2016, 06:09 PM   #6
mariaclaudia
Zealot

Oh, yes, sorry, my mistake, I forgott that info... sorry :-(

Ok, about the first question, I have ticked, and for the second question, I have https://www.google.com/#q={author}
Old 01-17-2016, 07:15 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@mariaclaudia - I cannot replicate your problem at all.

What format are the downloads - EPUB, MOBI... PDF ??
Do you have the DRM Tools installed?
Do the books you're adding have DRM protection?

I don't use the tools, almost all of my e-books are public domain texts. When reading for pleasure I prefer paper.

I just did this test
  • I installed a fresh copy of calibre portable version 2.49
  • I made one change to preferences - replaced the Wikipedia link in Look and Feel->Book Details with the Google link.
  • Downloaded two books from here :
    https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48487
    https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48310
  • I added the first book (Charles II)
  • As expected clicking Author took me to Google
  • I went into manage authors and put -- https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/125951.Jacob_Abbott -- into the Link field for Jacob Abbot
  • As expected clicking Author now took me to Jacob Abbot's page at Goodreads
  • I added the second book (Genghis Khan)
  • Clicking Author still took me to Jacob Abbot's page at Goodreads

My only suggestion is that you try repeating what I did. Those are 'well formed' EPUBs with no DRM - thanks to MR member crutledge.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-17-2016 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:13 PM   #8
mariaclaudia
Zealot

I downloaded only in epub format. I don't know if those books have DRM protection. This "issue" I noticed since 2 weeks ago more or less, if i'm not mistaken. The place were I'm downloading is https://www.epublibre.org/inicio/index

MC
Old 01-17-2016, 09:51 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@mariaclaudia - I'm just about out of ideas

I downloaded La Exilada and La Promesa by Pearl Buck from epublibre.org, added La Exilada then entered her epublibre.org page into the Link field, it worked of course. I then added La Promesa and the link to epublibre.org still works See attached screen shots

You can see in the screen shots that it picked up the Publisher, Published Date and Tags from the inside the file, as well as the Author and Title.

Which operating system do you use - Apple OSX, Linux or Microsoft Windows? If Windows which 'edition' of calibre, 32 bit, 64 bit or Portable - I have tested 64 bit and Portable.

Aside : after the add, the Title Sort had 'La promesa' on pink, to 'fix' it I had to hit the button between Title and Title Sort which changed it to "promesa, La". The Author Sort field had "Buck, Pearl S." on green. I do not know if the book's language (Spanish) has any role to play in this, or the fact that it is different to the calibre interface language or my language setting in Windows. But I wouldn't think any of that has anything to do with the Author Link field - but maybe I'm wrong.

All Preferences with the exception of the L&F->Book Details->default author link template are the default settings.

BR
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	145628   Click image for larger version

Views:	206
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	145629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	145630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	145631  

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-17-2016 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:18 PM   #10
mariaclaudia
Zealot

Sorry for not answer before, but I was little sick, however now I'm better.
I do a screen capture about this "issue". I hope now my point will be more clearer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs6tY6RFV74

Is this normal?

Regards from Lima, Perú
Old 01-26-2016, 11:38 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The problem is when you open the metadata editor for the new book. Don't use the "Copy author sort to author" to fix the author name. Use the author drop-down to find the existing author called "Scott, Walter".

What is happening is:
- You have an author called "Scott, Walter" with the author sort of "Scott, Walter".
- You then add another book whose author is "Walter Scott". This creates a new author called "Walter Scott" with the author sort of "Scott, Walter".
- In the book metadata editor, you use the "Copy author sort to author". This renames the author "Walter Scott" to "Scott, Walter".
- As there already is an author with that name, calibre is replacing the existing author with the new author. Hence, you lose the link.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:16 AM   #12
mariaclaudia
Zealot

I knew it!, I knew there had to be an explanation, but did not think it would be so simple

Now, because I have a spanish version, let me ask you something: where is the author drop-down option you said? I proceed as you see because some times I add many books by many authors, so, it's the easy way for me. Thanks for answer!!!!
Old 01-27-2016, 12:31 PM   #13
higgs
Connoisseur
higgs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicing

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kindle PW3
Use the arrow at the right of the Author field.
higgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:22 PM   #14
mariaclaudia
Zealot

Do you mean this?

[Image too big - replaced by attachment]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2zsbeiu.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	145880  

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-28-2016 at 03:21 AM.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:44 PM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
No. As part of the author field, at the right end, there is an arrow. When you press that, it drops down a list of all the authors in your calibre library. You can select the author you want. Or, you can start typing the name, and the drop down will show, but it will be filtered to names that match what you type.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote