Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 03-23-2014, 02:38 PM   #1
ChrisNunz
ChrisNunz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
[Feature Request] Reading Goals

I thinking today of a feature somehow built into Marvin that would allow for the reader to input values based on whatever their reading goals are for a day, week, maybe even a month, or year if you set goals that long term.

For example, "I'd like to read X number of words every [day/week/month]." And have the app show the reader how many words they've read that day/week/month, and each time they open the app, they can see how many they have left for their daily/weekly/monthly goal.

The same can be done for X number of minutes to read per day. I would think those 2 inputs would the the most widely versatile between devices, whereas something like pages would vary if it's iPhone or iPad, and percentage would vary greatly with each book, though perhaps that could still work on a book by book basis.

I just think it would be good for motivational purposes.

Oh, and maybe the functionality could be taken a step further, and Marvin could even automatically break down a daily/weekly amount of words to read in order to achieve a certain book goal. For example, selecting X number of books and then a date of which you'd like to complete them all, and have Marvin suggest a daily goal to reach to complete them all?

How difficult would this be?

Thanks!
ChrisNunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:13 PM   #2
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
I think this is totally beyond the scope of an ebook reader. Goodreads and LibraryThing offer such functionality, though.
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2014, 09:37 PM   #3
ChrisNunz
ChrisNunz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philantrop View Post
I think this is totally beyond the scope of an ebook reader. Goodreads and LibraryThing offer such functionality, though.
I suppose I disagree, I think it'd be perfect for an e-reader and a feature I'd constantly use. The way I imagine it, it'd all work in-app and automatically.

How does Goodreads offer the same things though? I frequent that site a lot but I haven't seen anything close to what I suggest in this thread.

Thanks!
ChrisNunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:47 AM   #4
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
I suppose I disagree also. Who is to say what is beyond the scope of an e-book reader functionality? (The answer, of course, for Marvin is Kris).

However, the e-book reader is the only entity in a position to collect actual statistics relating to reading goals (when a book is started and finished; how many words are read per unit time; etc.). I think it would be a cool "extra" and one more thing that would set Marvin above the crowd.
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote