Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-02-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
martingUSA
martingUSA began at the beginning.

Device: SRS-505
Font display issues (bold letters)

why does the T1 has problems with bold letter/font?
Some Chapter title it's bold, some it is not, if you back the same chapter title is bold again.
anybody has same problems? any solutions?

it's intermittent and seems really strange https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smilies/mad.gif
martingUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:19 AM   #2
seabee
Connoisseur
seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by martingUSA View Post
why does the T1 has problems with bold letter/font?
Some Chapter title it's bold, some it is not, if you back the same chapter title is bold again.
anybody has same problems? any solutions?

it's intermittent and seems really strange https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smilies/mad.gif
Yes, the problem is well known, however, I can't remember what's the thread about that.

According to some comments (jackie_w ...), adding @font-face explicit references to the font files inside the PRS-T1 for each style (plain, bold, italic, bold-italic) and using these font-face in each font-family attributes that appear in the CSS could fix the problem, but you have to know how to modify your ePUB books (it's a ZIP archive containing files in sub-directories) and a little about CSS files

[Edit] It was here (2nd post, already from jackie_w)

Last edited by seabee; 12-03-2011 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Found previous report of the bug
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
This is a known fault with the PRST1. If you read your epub with font set to anything other than 'Original' (e.g. Amasis etc) then italic, bold and bolditalic will be very unpredictable. This is even mentioned in the User Guide.

The current workarounds depend on whether your epubs have DRM or not.
  • epub with DRM - no workaround. Read with font set to 'Original' if you want all your bold and italics to display correctly.
  • epub without DRM - 2 workarounds, both options require you to edit each epub:
    1. Open up the epub and add the relevant @font-face statements to its css file. This option can be employed to correctly use any of the T1's extra internal fonts (Amasis, PalatinoNova, Frutiger etc). Read with font set to 'Original'.

You can do this manually or, if you're a Calibre user, you can add the necessary @font-face statements to ExtraCSS and do a conversion to epub. For an example of the @font-face statements used to read in Amasis with all italics/bold intact see this post.
    2. Fully embed the fonts of your choice inside the epub. Then read the epub with font set to 'Original'. This option takes longer to apply but allows you to use any fonts (TrueType or OpenType) you like.

[Edit:] Seabee beat me to it

Last edited by jackie_w; 12-03-2011 at 08:40 AM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
martingUSA
martingUSA began at the beginning.

Device: SRS-505
This kind of sucks....
Yes, I do like to read in Verdana, and I can set up my epubs with that font using above methods, but that doesn't mean everybody else does too. If someone else reads my epub he no longer has the option to switch fonts.
What's the point in having the options to switch between fonts if it doesn't fully work.

Sony needs to fix this

Martin
martingUSA is offline   Reply With Quote