Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-10-2010, 09:03 PM   #1
bam451
bam451 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thinking of getting a Kindle, Can I really get library books for it?

I keep reading that it is possible to get check out library books for a Kindle. Is this true? Is it really hard?
bam451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Can it be done? Yes. Is it hard? No.....not if you find a good guru to help.

1) Your library of choice (where ever you have a library card ) must carry mobipocket format ebooks, and have a selection that pleases you.

2) You must download and run "kindlefix.py" script on your computer, after you download the library book, so that your kindle can 'read' it.

3) You simply then load the book to your kindle, using the USB cord, and after the load period is over, (whatever your library's loan period is) the book "closes" just as if you left it on your computer. You can then delete it, because its no longer readable.

We are no longer able, thanks to Amazon, to provide detailed instructions on how to do this, but some searching should provide results. Good luck.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2010, 12:33 AM   #3
bam451
bam451 began at the beginning.

How is the quality once the books go through this process?
bam451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:54 AM   #4
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam451 View Post
How is the quality once the books go through this process?
The quality is unaffected - I believe the script just re-encrypts the eBook with your Kindle's PID key.

You can also remove Digital Rights Management from ePub ebooks, convert them to MOBI and delete the ebooks manually when your loan expires. I don't think doing this is wrong since libraries rely on a similar "honesty system" when they deliver audiobooks as DRM-free MP3s or WMAs that can be converted to a DRM-free format for iPods or burnt to CDs which you must destroy when the loan expires.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:15 AM   #5
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
This turned out to be ridiculously easy -- snagging the Kindle pid, installing Overdrive to borrow the book (this is a requirement of your library), removing the DRM with a one dialog box entry (input name, output name), converting to mobi, dropping onto the Kindle.

It sounds way more complicated than it is.

If there is a caveat ... it's that many libraries have a pretty sorry collection of library e-books at the moment.

Last edited by SensualPoet; 04-11-2010 at 10:18 AM.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 04:06 AM   #6
emai7s2
Connoisseur
emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.

Device: Palm & PPC
Adobe Digital Editions support, which is a frequent requirement for supporting ebook downloads from public libraries, seems to be an increasingly common feature on many ebook readers (Irex, PocketBook, Kobo, etc.). See: http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/devices/

Does Amazon plan to offer ADE support for the Kindle at some point? I know there are some kludges around that allow the Kindle to access library books in mobi format, but I am interested in official out-of-the-box ADE support.
emai7s2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:14 AM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by emai7s2 View Post
Does Amazon plan to offer ADE support for the Kindle at some point? I know there are some kludges around that allow the Kindle to access library books in mobi format, but I am interested in official out-of-the-box ADE support.
It's always possible, but kinda doubtful at this point. Amazon has very few reasons to want to open up the Kindle so that you can buy books from everyone else and that's what adding ADE support would do. It'd be nice, but at this point I just don't see it (unless they start really losing vs. the Nook and others that do support it).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:31 AM   #8
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

epub is coming but it will most likely not be with ADE support. Amazon takes a loss on a lot of its ebooks to have the lowest or matching pricing. The offset of that is the profit on Kindles. Why would they give that up?
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:33 AM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pboss View Post
epub is coming but it will most likely not be with ADE support.
Where is this announced?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:50 AM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
epub is coming but it will most likely not be with ADE support.
Source???

Quote:
Amazon takes a loss on a lot of its ebooks to have the lowest or matching pricing.
With agency pricing for a lot of the titles they used to take a loss on it's not the same as it was. Even then it was really only a small number of titles (mainly current bestsellers) that they were taking a loss on (and still are on some Random House titles). Most/all back catalog titles weren't loss leaders.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:18 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
epub is coming but it will most likely not be with ADE support. Amazon takes a loss on a lot of its ebooks to have the lowest or matching pricing. The offset of that is the profit on Kindles. Why would they give that up?
Amazon takes a loss on some titles, but we can be sure they more than make up for it on others. Kindle4iPad is another profit center, not a loss leader. Otherwise there would be no Kindle4iPad (which is free). They may make some money on Kindle devices, but that's pretty much a one-time proposition. A successful business needs steady streams of sales, and that is what ebook sales do for Amazon. The agency model has actually made it possible for them to make money on bestsellers.

There's no need for native ePub support for Kindle, unless it supports Adobe DRM, and I just don't see that happening. I would prefer that they just add support for ePub to the list of formats that the conversion service supports. It is easy enough to convert non-DRM ePub as it is, and ePub as a format doesn't offer much advantage over mobi (better at tables, probably). Putting more software on the device for such a small benefit is not worth it.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:54 PM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Do yourself a favor and get a Sony. It works without conversion.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:00 PM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Do yourself a favor and get a Sony. It works without conversion.
Yes, there are several sub $200 e-ink readers, including Sony PRS300 (sold at amazon.com). If our local library offered ebook lending, and was open more than 20 hours a week, I would get one just for this purpose.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:19 PM   #14
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Well you can get a Sony, however, I have been reading library books on my Kindle for over a year. I am not a technical person by any means, however, with the indirect help of many on these boards, I was able to piece together the means by which to do this. It was a little struggle, again, because I am not technical, but if I can do it, I swear anyone can do it.

I might also add that I do not manipulate the date stamp of the book - just the ability to convert it and get it into my Kindle. After 14 or 21 days, depending on the time allowed for checkout, the book simply disappears. It is wonderful, because I have had to cut back significantly on purchasing books and this allows me a viable option of reading new books. I don't feel as though I am doing anything illegal, if I did, I would not do this.

I thank the many folks here on MobileRead that helped without giving direct information. When I asked questions, they answered them the best they could again, without giving direct information. I love it!!!!! and I love my Kindle!!! Once I get the updated 2.5 bin, I will really be set. 1000 books on my Kindle need some organization. Good Luck!
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:46 PM   #15
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
There are several choices if you want to load library ebooks and not mess with removing DRM. The Nook, the various Sony readers, the Kobo Reader, and the Aluratek Libre come to mind. Each has its merits. Just be aware that maybe 1/3 of the library ebooks (based on my experience with my library) are available in ePub. The rest of the title are mostly MobiPocket with a smattering of PDFs.

Personally, I took the time to learn how to remove the DRM (for personal use only) and I'm careful to delete the library books after I've read them. (Library ebooks can be checked out for 7 or 14 days.) That way I am not locked into one platform or device.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote