Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-18-2016, 10:19 AM   #1
bazzz
Enthusiast
bazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: iPad Pro
Out of all bad technical PDF reading solutions, Aura One probably the best

I received my Kobo Aura One yesterday. I read technical (software development) PDFs nearly exclusively. And I wasn't expecting much after reading the initial reviews.

But it wasn't that bad after all, if you're willing to put some work into it (which should - of course - not be necessary, KOBO IMPROVE YOUR PDF ENGINE ASAP!).

What I do:

- I cut the margins of the PDF via BRISS (http://briss.sourceforge.net/), make the margins really slim
- I save that cropped PDF to my Kobo Aura One
- Then zoom just slightly (105%), the footer disappears, page turns keep the orientation

Page turns have been with the PDFs I've tested slow, but not unusable slow.

fyi
bazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:29 AM   #2
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Nice writeup. In your opinion, is the text sufficiently large when reading whole-page PDFs in portrait? For a person with decent eyesight.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2016, 10:32 AM   #3
bazzz
Enthusiast
bazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy bluebazzz can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: iPad Pro
Yes, it is. It would be nicer if it had a bigger display (say: 9"), but it's generally ok. It is like reading on a retina iPad mini, but with a much nicer display and a much worse PDF engine/CPU.
bazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:57 AM   #4
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
I agree, I found the display really pleasant in that regard and the size sufficient. If the PDF files do not have too large margins, the “adjust size to width” option is useful and carries over to the next page.
If there were highlighting and note options (and generally, better support for cropping on the device) , I might have kept mine for I would have gotten some unique use out of it...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:20 PM   #5
feebsjee
feebsjee began at the beginning.

Device: none
What made you chose the Aura One over the Boox N96?
feebsjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2016, 01:37 AM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzz View Post
But it wasn't that bad after all, if you're willing to put some work into it (which should - of course - not be necessary, KOBO IMPROVE YOUR PDF ENGINE ASAP!).
You should address your complaint about PDFs to Adobe/Data Logic/etc. PDFs are rendered by the Adobe RMSDK software. It would be nice if Kobo enabled reflow for PDFs but since the whole idea of PDFs was to show pages as designed, reflow is contrary to that ideal.

I will admit the only PDF files I keep around are tech manuals, the few fiction books I had purchased were converted and then edited with Sigil to make them readable. I've opened some PDFs in Acrobat and resized which has given some rather odd results, most other's I open on my iPad since it's CPU power/memory/screen size make it a better PDF reader though even there the flipping A1 size diagrams are pretty much unusable with much scrolling.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:04 AM   #7
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
I have found reading many PDFs surprisingly comfortable on Aura One.

I use Acrobat to crop pages, not too thin margins for it to work on both left and right pages (most books have thinner margins on the spine side), and just enough zoom to suppress kobo page number on the bottom. I just miss the patch to eliminate the arrows.

Occasionally I've had to go into landscape mode, but I wouldn't like to have to do it with a long book.

Of course it is annoying to have to call the dictionary and enter the word I'm looking for, and it is only viable for GOOD scans of books that are not too dense or with annoyingly thin fonts, but I am pleased to be able to read books unavailable otherwise.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote