Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-22-2016, 01:12 PM   #1
simoon
simoon began at the beginning.

Device: none
Make cursor auto focus to search box

I access my ebooks library using Calibre content server. Recently I bought a barcode scanner to read the ISBN on books I acquired and search whether I have the book in Calibre library.

After each scan I need to press the "Tab" key seven times to bring the cursor back to the search box, or I can put down the scanner and use the mouse to click the search box. I am wondering is it possible to make the cursor auto focus to the search box after each scan? It will be great if the auto focus can also be done in Calibre program.

and in advance.
simoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:30 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by simoon View Post
I access my ebooks library using Calibre content server. Recently I bought a barcode scanner to read the ISBN on books I acquired and search whether I have the book in Calibre library.

After each scan I need to press the "Tab" key seven times to bring the cursor back to the search box, or I can put down the scanner and use the mouse to click the search box. I am wondering is it possible to make the cursor auto focus to the search box after each scan? It will be great if the auto focus can also be done in Calibre program.

and in advance.
Not the answer to your request....But

Have you tried a single BackTab ( Shift+ TAB)
Alt+Left Arrow returns to the previous page
Ctrl+A then higlights the (previous) value which the next scan will overwrite

Ctrl+F gets you to the Search bar in Calibre GUI
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2016, 03:39 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can press the / key to directly focus the search box.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:56 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Or Ctrl+F, which is common on Windows at least. Or Alt+S, which is common on OSX, I think. I guess '/' comes from Vi

See ==>> Keyboard Shortcuts

The default keyboard shortcuts can be overidden, via ==>> Preferences->Keyboard->Miscellaneous->Start Search

The RTFM problem is on the rise, I blame SocMed, it renders the attention span of its users to that of a gnat

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:33 PM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
The RTFM problem is on the rise, I blame SocMed, it renders the attention span of its users to that of a gnat

BR
For what it's worth, I've always found the Calibre manual difficult to use. It always seemed as if it was written for programmers (had lots of assumptions on the level of computer knowledge) not regular folks. I haven't been there in a long time, though, so maybe it's better than it used to be.

Edit: "Better" is probably unfair. Perhaps more user friendly for folks with less tech knowledge.

Last edited by FizzyWater; 07-22-2016 at 08:07 PM.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2016, 08:16 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
For what it's worth, I've always found the Calibre manual difficult to use. It always seemed as if it was written for programmers (had lots of assumptions on the level of computer knowledge) not regular folks. I haven't been there in a long time, though, so maybe it's better than it used to be.
I tend to agree with you, also see what I wrote in last para of ==>> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=14

I have the impression that a good deal of the User Guide is auto-generated from the source code, which is of course written by programmers. Maybe there should be two manuals, a User Guide and a Technical Reference Manual.

But writing documentation is a thankless task, and it often takes more effort to maintain it than it does to maintain the code itself. Then there is the problem of translation. I think that's why the major s/w producers stopped producing them.

Rebecca Price created a non-technical manual there's a link to it in here ==>> New to calibre? Start Here. As I recall it was not received with any great enthusiasm. I wonder how many hits it gets.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-22-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:32 AM   #7
simoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Not the answer to your request....But

Have you tried a single BackTab ( Shift+ TAB)
Alt+Left Arrow returns to the previous page
It goes back to previous page but not focusing the search box.
Ctrl+A then higlights the (previous) value which the next scan will overwrite
It highlight everthing, I am not sure what "higlights the (previous) value" mean.

Ctrl+F gets you to the Search bar in Calibre GUI
This is great, I change it to F12 so that I can re focus faster.
Thank you theducks, thanks for your advice.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:41 AM   #8
simoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Thank you Sir, after trying hitting "/" in Chrome, Firefox and IE. All fail to focus the search box.

Finally I found out it is working in Calibre UI. Is there a shortcut key for browser?
"/" work on Youtube page but not Google homepage

Last edited by simoon; 07-23-2016 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:02 PM   #9
Joanna
Groupie
Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

"/" in Firefox opens quick find with focus on the search box.

Didn't know about the '/' shortcut in Calibre - Kovid, thanks for sharing that, it comes in handy.
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:28 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thank you theducks, thanks for your advice.
The 'Everything selected' by control-A is because the search box focus failed

I used Firefox, starting from a Search results page (with no additional clicks on that page after that) when I wrote those. Obviously, that was way too fragile of a solution
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:17 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Thank you Sir, after trying hitting "/" in Chrome, Firefox and IE. All fail to focus the search box.

Finally I found out it is working in Calibre UI. Is there a shortcut key for browser?
"/" work on Youtube page but not Google homepage
See ==>> Shortcuts and Hot Keys Reference for Windows, Mac OS, Linux and Web.

BR