Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-25-2007, 04:12 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Complete Casanova using BookDesigner

Well, I spent almost 2 hours trying to put this together for myself, and also trying to understand this program as I was doing it. It's manageable for me; perhaps it might prove useful for someone else. One can access the chapters just by paging beyond the first title/author page.

I realize there's a lot to be criticized here, but this is my first attempt to join more than one file, and then trying to "fix" things by using BookDesigner. I first joined the files using Word. I had these as separate RTF files.

Any suggestions for further enhancements would be greatly appreciated.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:08 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It appears Bbeb file is not a valid attachement

Sorry.

Thanks,
Don
Advert
Old 02-25-2007, 06:59 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Don,

You could use another extension just for the upload, if the extension is the problem...
E.g. Instead of MyFile.lrf, you could upload "MyFile_ChangeToDotLRF.txt".

I think people would be very interested to hear any additional comments about things that you found tricky, or that worked well for you.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:27 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Casanova file....

Thank you for the info on how to upload this file.

Don't foget to change it back to an .lrf fil extent.

To do this, go to "My computer," then go to "Tools," then go to "Folder Options," and then to "View." From there, deselect "Hide extensions for known file types." This will allow you to see the .txt extenion on Casanova file.

Now, change that .txt back to .lrf

Don't forget to select the "Hide extensions for known file types" when you've finished.

To be honest, this file is nothing special. I just wanted the Casanova files as one file, and didn't want to create a "Collection" area in the Reader for 5 files.

Playing with BookBinder is frustrating, but this is an incredible program. I like it because I can also insert photos and create TOCs, things that Word's RTF won't do. On the downside, it's easier to format different special things using RTF. At the moment, I have 178 books on my Reader, with the nod going to Bookbinder and then to RTF. I especially like downloading Gutenberg files and moving them into BookBinder.

Let me know how I can fix certain things, or redo different things with this file.

Thanks,
Don
Attached Files
File Type: txt Casanova, Jacques - The Memoirs of Jacques Casanova.txt (626.6 KB, 349 views)
Old 02-26-2007, 03:44 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm just curious why you would want to hide the file extensions? The first thing I do on any new Windows machine is to go to "Folder Options" and switch off all the things it thinks it should hide from me. I want to see everything .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2007, 05:02 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

I'm used to it, I guess

Mainly, for me, I think this is the first time I've had a need to even change the extent or to look at it.

Also, the look of the icon itself clues me in to what kind of program it belongs to.

Don
Old 02-26-2007, 05:22 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Fair enough. For those of us who go back to the old "MS-DOS" days it just seems "wrong" not to see the file extensions; they seem so much a "part" of the file.

I'm very interested in your experiences with BookDesigner - I have a number of RTF files with pictures in that it would be great to be able to view (the pictures, that is) on the Reader. How much work is involved in converting an RTF file into an LRF using BookDesigner?
Old 02-26-2007, 06:16 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Here's what I do

I just duplicated an RTF file and also made copy of a 209 kb jpeg file to play with.

Open BookDesigner and then open the RTF file within BookDesigner. After your RTF is open, place the cursor where you want the file to appear when you are finished loading it.

Then go to the top of the menu in BookDesigner and go to "Insert" and go to "Picture."

A small box will appear in the bottom left side of your screen. Go to "Browse" and find your picture. Then click on "insert" and then close the box.

You now have your picture or photo in BookDesigner. (This particular one I just experimented with looks great.)

Now, go to "make Sony Reader file." I always make a "test" first to see if everything is the way I want it.

That's it.

If anyone else has a different technique, I'm open to any suggestions.

Don
Old 02-26-2007, 08:09 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Could you tell me what I need to download in order to use BookDesigner? The thread in the the "Contents" section of the forum is so long and confusing that I'm a bit lost as to what I actually need!

Thanks,
Old 02-26-2007, 06:20 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

This - may - be the location

I'm fairly new to these Forums, so there's still a lot I'm trying to understand....

I THINK you need to go the last page in the Forums with the tild of Bookdesigner Update.

You download the main program and install it (I think it's version 4.0).

Then download the file below that: That's the BookDesigner Update. That should bring you to 5.0.

However, I must tell you that program has a "complicated" and complex look to it. I've been playing with it since the end of December. But there's soooo much I don't know.

I'm one of those strange people who like to play with programs, even when I don't fully understand them. I used to play around with CP/M on my Kaypro portable, just before MS Dos supplanted that operating program. At the same time, I also played around with TRS-Dos on Radio Shack's computers. Then the Macintosh came along and I bought into that until about 5 years ago.

Don