Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-18-2006, 03:00 AM   #1
Sponge_Bath
Sponge_Bath began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
A repository for well laid out books

I thought it might be a great idea to start some sort of repository (if one has been started already somewhere else) of free books that are nicely laid out for the Sony.

I know you can get Sony formatted books from manybooks.net and then there's GutenMark but there's nothing like adding the human touch: A table of contents, properly linked footnotes, nice line spacing, etc.

So to get the repository started or to add to it if I'm too late, here's Beowulf in PDF format and an editable 'source' format in .doc.

Cheers.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Beowulf - Gummere.pdf (391.7 KB, 355 views)
File Type: doc Beowulf - Gummere.doc (308.0 KB, 364 views)
Sponge_Bath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:07 AM   #2
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Its a nice thought but, at least for now, the reader does not handle PDF format well enough to make it a format of choice for my use. For me, for now, LRF and RTF are the only choices.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2006, 08:22 AM   #3
randyman
Enthusiast
randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.randyman shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Now, iPad!
Isn't the usability of a pdf just a matter of whether or not it's properly formatted for the Reader? I've had no difficulties at all with the ones I've sized properly...

Thanks for the "Beowulf", Sponge Bath - with the Zemekis movie in production, I was planning to read it (for the first time, I'm sorry to say...
randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:17 AM   #4
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Please guys! Be wary of copyrights, this is no pirate site!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:37 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Well, said, yvanleterrible. While Beowulf ought to be safe enough (since it's not a Disney production ), the copyright issue is one we need to not lose sight of.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2006, 10:12 AM   #6
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Don't be so sure. Unless the Beowulf is one that is directly taken from the old English (which is quite likely unreadable to most but the true fan) or from an old translation of the text, it is probably a recent adaptation in modern verse. If so, the copyright attaches to the translation as an original work of the translator who readapts the work. An example is the recent Seamus Heaney translation. Copying such a modern rendition would be a copyright infringement. If this site wishes to stay away from copyright infringement issues it should not allow content.

Now, insofar as PDF's, the problem is with the rendition of the text. The PDF fonts are rendered graphically and are hard to read. Moreover, the fonts are not scalable as with RTF and LRF (although the entire image can be slightly enlarged one level). Since I want the best experience for my eyes, PDF's ain't the way to go for me.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 04:12 AM   #7
Sponge_Bath
Sponge_Bath began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Hi Everyone,

I have just started my own repository of books that I have laid out for myself at:

http://www.box.net/public/pdbf4k8i6d

It will ONLY ever contain OUT-OF-COPYRIGHT material from Gutenberg, manybooks or the like.

At the moment it contains:
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
Colonel Chabert - Honoré de Balzac
Vikram and the Vampire - Sir Richard F Burton (Footnotes are not yet linked)
Fanny Hill - John Cleland
The Idiot - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
The Rainbow - D H Lawrence
Women in Love - D H Lawrence

Books currently being laid out:
Various titles by Jane Austen
Various titles by Honoré de Balzac
1001 Nights All Volumes by Sir Richard F Burton (Volume 1 is done but no TOC)
Chess and Checkers: The Way to Mastership by Edward Lasker using the Cheq font
Various titles by D H Lawrence
and other titles or REQUESTS that pique my interest

All are in PDF format because I like the ITC Stone family of fonts, proper italics (not obliqued roman) and bold,fi fl ligatures, 1.5 line spacing, control over letter and word spacing, line breaks, A4 paper etc.

Cheers.
Sponge_Bath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 06:50 AM   #8
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponge_Bath
Hi Everyone,I have just started my own repository of books that I have laid out for myself ...
After taking a quick glance at some of these titles, I'd be interested in learning what Sony Readers users think. What strikes me is that there are no margins (Pride and Prejudice, The Idiot): does this really work on the Reader?
ath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 07:28 AM   #9
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Instead of creating a repository, I'm working on a website that can generate exactly this kind of content in PDF and that you can customize to your own taste too, Sponge_Bath. Files are nice, but generating them is much flexible, this way you can add table of contents or create PDFs for more than a single device.
Take a look at the topic I've started: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...?threadid=9165
Still in beta, but we're working on removing any bug that we find, and we'll add more and more books in the first section of the website (btw, anyone can send a book too in this section, we'll just check if it's in the public domain or not before showing it on the website).
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:33 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ath
After taking a quick glance at some of these titles, I'd be interested in learning what Sony Readers users think. What strikes me is that there are no margins (Pride and Prejudice, The Idiot): does this really work on the Reader?
No margins works just fine; the "e-Ink" bit of the Reader doesn't go right up to the edge of the screen - there's a margin of about 4mm between the edge of the e-Ink and the edge of the screen. I create all my content with no margins.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 12:00 PM   #11
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
No margins works just fine; the "e-Ink" bit of the Reader doesn't go right up to the edge of the screen - there's a margin of about 4mm between the edge of the e-Ink and the edge of the screen. I create all my content with no margins.
I use a 1mm margin as a template on the reader. Most LRF that I've seen had margins that were much too large for my taste.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:22 PM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
4~5mm suits me just fine -- more words to the page.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:43 PM   #13
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
What I find confusing is Sponge _Bath's saying the PDF's are formatted for the Sony Reader. When I inspected Women in Love the mediabox was set to 595.276 x 841.89 aka 8.3" x 11.7".

This size forces the Sony Reader to scale the pages by half and not all of the kerning values are even. Thus resulting in half pixel positioning errors for the Reader to deal with.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:51 PM   #14
unkilbeeg
Enthusiast
unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: Sony PRS-500/Astak EZReader 5"/PocketBook 360/Kindle
And PDF is my first *practical* choice for books on the Sony. *I* have control over font size -- no, it doesn't allow me to change them on the fly too well, but I don't care, since I chose the initial size in the first place. Yes, the Sony does a really bad job with serif fonts, so I use sans serif. I can include images and they work. I get a working table of contents. I get typeset quality layout. Page turns don't seem to take any longer than those of the LRF files I get from manybooks.

LRF might be better if I could find some LRF generating tools that I could make work, but so far I've had no luck with that.

RTF is inherently limited -- table of contents is not supported. I'll use it if I can find no alternative, but really, with a little effort I can turn rtf to good PDF.

Text has nothing going for it other than its universality and the ability to easily adjust font size. Since I can trivially turn text into typeset PDF (and with a little more effort, TOC), there's no point.
unkilbeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:28 PM   #15
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkilbeeg
And PDF is my first *practical* choice for books on the Sony. *I* have control over font size -- no, it doesn't allow me to change them on the fly too well, but I don't care, since I chose the initial size in the first place. Yes, the Sony does a really bad job with serif fonts, so I use sans serif. I can include images and they work. I get a working table of contents. I get typeset quality layout. Page turns don't seem to take any longer than those of the LRF files I get from manybooks.

LRF might be better if I could find some LRF generating tools that I could make work, but so far I've had no luck with that.

RTF is inherently limited -- table of contents is not supported. I'll use it if I can find no alternative, but really, with a little effort I can turn rtf to good PDF.

Text has nothing going for it other than its universality and the ability to easily adjust font size. Since I can trivially turn text into typeset PDF (and with a little more effort, TOC), there's no point.
I agree on all your points, that's exactly why we generate PDFs with feedbooks... LRF sounds like the only alternative IF we had some tools for it (latex2lrf anyone ?).