Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-08-2017, 02:50 PM   #16
cliver
Connoisseur
cliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enough

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
As a test, I just installed ADE 2.0.1 on this computer. Went pretty flawlessly.

winetricks -q dotnet35sp1
winetricks -q windowscodecs
winetricks -q corefonts
wine ${INSTALL_FILE}

The only additional step I required was installing the 32-bit version of nvidia's official driver. (I use nvidia graphics cards.)

This is on wine 2.0.1,1 on FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE. It should work on any linux though.
Thanks ottdmk, I'll give that a go when I can stop banging me head against the wall
cliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:53 PM   #17
cliver
Connoisseur
cliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
With Windows, ADE 2.0.1 is trivial to install and very easy to get registered. The problem comes in trying to get ADE 2.0.1 to run under Wine (Linux). It can be done, but it's not easy (from what I've read).
As a matter of principle I dropped windows in favour of Linux a couple of months back.
Maybe I should have kept one machine running windows in hindsight
Advert
Old 06-08-2017, 05:21 PM   #18
Scruffy1
Scruffy1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura Edition 2
Thought I would share my setup. I'm running linux (ubuntu) and have windows as a virtual machine. Within the windows virtual machine I have ADE. I can move files between the virtual windows and ubuntu via a shared directory. I have also used wine with ADE, but much prefer the virtual machine configuration.
Scruffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:41 PM   #19
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliver View Post
As a matter of principle I dropped windows in favour of Linux a couple of months back.
Maybe I should have kept one machine running windows in hindsight
Couldn't you download the epub to your Galaxy note and strip the downloaded epub?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:12 AM   #20
cliver
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy1 View Post
Thought I would share my setup. I'm running linux (ubuntu) and have windows as a virtual machine. Within the windows virtual machine I have ADE. I can move files between the virtual windows and ubuntu via a shared directory. I have also used wine with ADE, but much prefer the virtual machine configuration.
That's my next step I think. Do you use calibre? If so do you have to run it in the VM or can it still run in Linux and load the files download in Windows and strip the DRM?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Advert
Old 06-09-2017, 02:14 AM   #21
cliver
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Couldn't you download the epub to your Galaxy note and strip the downloaded epub?
Sorry signature​ is really old and I don't have that anymore. Could look into doing it in my android though, thanks for the idea.

Old 06-09-2017, 05:19 PM   #22
Scruffy1

I used Calibre in ubuntu. I download the file into ADE (windows virtual machine) then cut/paste the file into a directory that is shared by windows and ubuntu.

Another option you may consider is using a boot loader (also called boot manager). I have 4 or 5 operating systems one computer. I can selected which operating system (windows, ubuntu , puppy ... etc) to boot. The advantage of the VM is you don't have to shut-down and reboot to change operating system.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 06-10-2017, 03:01 AM   #23
cliver
Connoisseur

Quote:
I used Calibre in ubuntu. I download the file into ADE (windows virtual machine) then cut/paste the file into a directory that is shared by windows and ubuntu.

Another option you may consider is using a boot loader (also called boot manager). I have 4 or 5 operating systems one computer. I can selected which operating system (windows, ubuntu , puppy ... etc) to boot. The advantage of the VM is you don't have to shut-down and reboot to change operating system.

Hope this is helpful.
Thanks Scruffy1, and does calibre strip the DRM successfully without ADE on "the same" machine?
I have ADE running in a VM now just need to set it up.
Thanks all for the input.

Old 06-10-2017, 11:54 AM   #24
Scruffy1

I haven't had any problem with DRM removal with this set up. The only thing my IT guy (aka "the husband") hasn't been able to get working is the the VM recognizing the usb. Most likely there is a fix, but it's not a big deal to me.
Old 06-10-2017, 02:05 PM   #25
cliver
Connoisseur

Quote:
I haven't had any problem with DRM removal with this set up. The only thing my IT guy (aka "the husband") hasn't been able to get working is the the VM recognizing the usb. Most likely there is a fix, but it's not a big deal to me.
Thanks Scruffy1, I've got the VM set up and "working" I have ADE installed and set up and can download books to it. The problem I have is calibre on the Linux host can't see the keys in ADE.
I have at the moment installed ePubee in the VM and strip the DRM there before I copy it acrross and import it into calibre. This works but I'd like to get it working directly in calibre if I can (just cuts out one application and simplifies things.
Can I ask what your step by step process is after downloading to ADE please?
Also how do you have your shared folder set up? I can't seem to see it in the VM for some reason.
Thanks a million for your help btw.
BTW: I've read elsewhere that getting USB to work in a VM is problematic (so don't be to hard on your IT guy )

Last edited by cliver; 06-10-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:09 PM   #26
Scruffy1

Cliver,

Glad to hear you have VM up and running. Here are my steps once the book is downloaded to ADE.

Open Windows Explorer and follow this path:
Windows Explorer>My Documents>My Digital Editions

In My Digital Editions, you should see your downloaded book as "xxx.epub" .

I now open another Windows Explorer window and go to My Network Places. Select the network/computer you want to connect with and login. Here, I have a folder that I call "Books". I just copy the "xxx.epub" in "Books".

We use Samba Share as our network file sharer. Samba is set up in linux. Think of the VM as a stand alone computer that needs to be connected to the network.

Back in Linux, just use the calibre "add book" tab to find the folder/files. In order for calibre to remove DRM, you will have add a plug-in to calibre.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:27 AM   #27
cliver
Connoisseur

Quote:
Cliver,

Glad to hear you have VM up and running. Here are my steps once the book is downloaded to ADE.

Open Windows Explorer and follow this path:
Windows Explorer>My Documents>My Digital Editions

In My Digital Editions, you should see your downloaded book as "xxx.epub" .

I now open another Windows Explorer window and go to My Network Places. Select the network/computer you want to connect with and login. Here, I have a folder that I call "Books". I just copy the "xxx.epub" in "Books".

We use Samba Share as our network file sharer. Samba is set up in linux. Think of the VM as a stand alone computer that needs to be connected to the network.

Back in Linux, just use the calibre "add book" tab to find the folder/files. In order for calibre to remove DRM, you will have add a plug-in to calibre.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Scruffy1, think I've got it sorted. My samba share wasn't set up correctly. Looking good now, just need to buy a book and try it.
Must say I'm loving the VM solution, much better than wine imho.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:43 AM   #28
cliver
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliver View Post
Thanks Scruffy1, think I've got it sorted. My samba share wasn't set up correctly. Looking good now, just need to buy a book and try it.
Must say I'm loving the VM solution, much better than wine imho.

Works fine. The only extra step I needed was to set up calibre in my windows VM, install ddrm plugin and use it once to get the key. Export the key and import it into my Linux version on calibre, uninstall calibre from the windows VM and we're good to go

Old 06-23-2017, 03:26 PM   #29
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
If ADE is a pain, can't you run Kobo's desktop software (or even the legacy Sony Reader desktop software) under Wine instead? They are both able to login to the Kobo book store. Sony's reader software even works as a generic Adobe DRM epub reader IIRC.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:30 AM   #30
cliver
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
If ADE is a pain, can't you run Kobo's desktop software (or even the legacy Sony Reader desktop software) under Wine instead? They are both able to login to the Kobo book store. Sony's reader software even works as a generic Adobe DRM epub reader IIRC.
To be honest I think it's wine that's the pain.
My aim is to be as vendor agnostic as I can.
I am using a VM to run ADE in which means I can now purchase books from Amazon or any of the vendors that use Adobe DRM (Kobo, Google play etc.), strip the DRM in Calibre on Linix and load the book onto the reader of my choice.
The VM solution works well and I have installed a couple of other windows apps that I need for other things on it and they all run fine. The only problem I had was getting it to see my USB ports but a search on Google sorted that out. The VM option is much better than wine IMHO.
I'd be interested to hear other opinions on wine vs VM though if anyone has any leanings either way?
For me it seems that anything I wanted to run in wine was just problematic. In the VM it just seems to work. That is for the apps I have run on it so far, those being: ADE, Calibre and Logitech's remote control management software).