Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-10-2011, 05:50 PM   #1
ywen
ywen doesn't litterywen doesn't litter

Device: kindle 3 3g
hmm kindle build quality

I just bought a kindle 3 from target.. maybe i'm just super sensitive to these things so I want to get an idea from other K3 owners..

the back plastic panel, on the right side, next to the page buttons is not entirely solid feeling like the left side. Everytime I gently squeeze it(such as when advancing a page), the back surface caves in a bit and makes a tiny squeaking sound.

Not a big deal, but it's noticeable as part of the reading experience. I would like to have one that feels solid all around. .but I would feel kind of self conscious to take this back to target for just this issue alone..

Perhaps when fitted with a case, the squeak and surface movement will be mitigated...

Anyone else experience these build quality variances with the K3?

Last edited by ywen; 04-10-2011 at 05:52 PM.
ywen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Every once and a while, my Kindle makes a small creeek if you squeeze it too hard. It does not bother me though, so I have not contacted Amazon about it.

Last edited by kranu; 04-10-2011 at 10:34 PM.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Nope.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:33 PM   #4
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
I just took my K3 out of it's case and gave it a good squeeze test all the way around. It is very solid. No squeeks, no soft spots, nothing but solidness.

I've tried all the page turn buttons on both sides and none of them cause any, even slight, movement of the backing.

I would absolutely return it and get another. If it bothers you now, it will bother you later. You may have just gotten a dud one where there was supposed to be a support piece there or something.

In the past, others have said they could hear things shaking around inside their Kindles. Maybe some pieces that were meant for support had come loose.

Anyway, take it back and get what you paid for.

Last edited by wvcherrybomb; 04-11-2011 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Ambien
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:08 AM   #5
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
The top of mine is a little loose and it squeaks if I press on it. The corners are fine, as is most of the top left, but right where it says "amazonkindle", the "zonkindle" part is loose (and a little further, over to where the p key would be)
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2011, 12:49 AM   #6
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
the kindle 3 is not very solidly built compared to the k2, IMHO.
still, it's solid enough and if that squeaking doesn't bother you, well, then no big deal.
otherwise, call amazon. I'm sure you'll be able to return/exchange it.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:50 AM   #7
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I took the first K3 I had back because the plastic was raised up a little on one side of the screen. If I pressed on it, the adhesive that held it in place would loosen again and make a sound like bubble gum on a shoe when it raised back up. It drove me nuts.

I got that one from Target too. They were out of stock and I got a cash refund with no problems or restocking fees.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:12 AM   #8
astromark
astromark began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I had this problem. It drove me nuts in bed where I could hear the creaking. (Of the Kindle!) After a while I also had something come loose inside.

I called Amazon and had a new one sent out which was much better. The first one didn't seem to be put together very well, but the second one is.
astromark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:24 AM   #9
ywen

Hmm I wonder whether I can take it back to Target or call up amazon... I feel bad about opening another Kindle from Target because the packaging has that "tear open" rip line, what if it's put together even worse than the one i have now? ...
Old 04-11-2011, 10:09 AM   #10
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ywen View Post
Hmm I wonder whether I can take it back to Target or call up amazon... I feel bad about opening another Kindle from Target because the packaging has that "tear open" rip line, what if it's put together even worse than the one i have now? ...
That really is not your problem. It is a problem with their quality control and they need to know about it - return it to Target and try another one.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #11
ywen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
That really is not your problem. It is a problem with their quality control and they need to know about it - return it to Target and try another one.
Right.. I just wanted to get an idea of the accepted norm of build quality for the K3.. looks like some people have units that feel completely solid so it would seem the one I have is not the expected norm.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:25 AM   #12
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I've never put my Kindle through a squeeze test so I had to take it out and check it - feels solid to me.

I remember there used to be some complaints about loose and loud page turn buttons.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #13
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I had one whose screen wasn't properly glued to the bevel so it squeaked when I pressed the page buttons. I returned it because I figured it would only get worse, plus it was unnerving.

I agree that the K2 felt more solidly built probably thanks to the metal back. It also cost like $100 more. Oh well, quality ain't cheap.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:13 PM   #14
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
To me, the build quality is fine. It doesn't feel like it's going to fall apart at any given page turn, and if someone tries to pick my wallet, I feel confident that I could use it as a crime deterrent (planting a corner right between the eyes, frisbee style).
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:40 PM   #15
jasonjkay
jasonjkay began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Never noticed any problems like that, my only problem was when I dropped it and the top right hand corner became unclipped. I just squeezed it back together and still no problems.
jasonjkay is offline   Reply With Quote