Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-04-2007, 10:21 PM   #1
Painbearer
Painbearer began at the beginning.

Device: Motorola
Question What to buy?

Greetings everybody. First post here. Well, I am in USA at the moment. I am from Bulgaria and in my home I have around 15 GB of ebooks. From all kinds of formats:
.prc - Mobipocket
.lit - Microsoft Reader
.pdf - Acrobat Reader
.txt, .rtf, .html, .doc.

I also have one of those formats for Isilo Reader, but I can't remember the name. I just know I have it.

Well, since I am here, my mind has set upon buying one e-ink reader in order not to have so much strain on my eyes. If you can recommend the biggest, the one that can read the most formats it will be nice. I am willing to spend at most 500 for one of these things. I am Library Science student and I really appreciate the ebooks as a distinctive future of written literature. So if you can recommend something I will gladly appreciate it.

With all due respect:
Chavdar Likov/Painbearer
Painbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:45 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There is only one device available today which meets your requirements - the Sony Reader. You won't be able to read your PRC or LIT books on it without converting them to other formats, however.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2007, 10:35 AM   #3
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
With FBReader and a few hacks, you should be able to read everything *almost* natively on the iLiad.

It can natively read PDF, html, txt, and prc.

FBreader should allow it to read rtf (use Word to convert your .doc to rtf) and iSilo.

You can also setup a shell script that'll automatically convert your .lit files (using covertlit) into a format that's viewable in FBReader as well.

Edit: I just noticed your price limit. Looks like the iLiad may be a bit too much for you.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:55 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The iLiad would be a much better choice in terms of functionality, but not, unfortunately, for US$500. Hence my recommendation of the Sony Reader, which now costs only $279, it seems.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:59 PM   #5
Painbearer
Painbearer began at the beginning.

Device: Motorola
700 as I found... God dammit. Well I have to think about it. It is sound investment and from one point I'd like to read books on it. It seems that it has the best qualities from all types of e-book readers. I will probably buy it on next paycheck if I have the money. I have to check however... I don't have a bank account. I am in Montana, so I will have to check how can I pay. Does it have option for additional storage?
Painbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2007, 09:42 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
A shared SD & CompactFlash slot, as I recall ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:49 PM   #7
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
TXT, RTF, HTML and PRC should all work on the new Cybook.
LIT: easy to transform those into something else
PDF: A4 PDFs ? You can use Mobipocket's software to transform them if you buy the iLiad/Cybook.

Overall it depends if you have a large number of Mobipocket files. If you do, the Cybook sounds like the best choice, otherwise, the Sony PRS-500 should be fine.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:52 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
A shared SD & CompactFlash slot, as I recall ....
What do you mean by shared?

external storage:

SD card (hot swappable, max 1GB)
CF card (hot swappable, max 4 GB)
USB flash drive

It will also accept:
USB hub
USB keyboard
USB Bluetooth dongle
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:02 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was thinking the iLiad had a single slot that took SD and CompactFlash but not both at the same time. Is that not so, then? It's been too long since I looked at the iLiad's specs I guess. Need to rectify that.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:47 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I was thinking the iLiad had a single slot that took SD and CompactFlash but not both at the same time. Is that not so, then? It's been too long since I looked at the iLiad's specs I guess. Need to rectify that.
No, they are separate slots, side by side. The "SD" slot is actually for the older "MMS" standard, which means that only SD cards up to 1GB will work. I'm using the CF slot, which has no such limitations, and works up to at least 4GB (I have a 2GB card in mine).

Being a USB "host" as well as a client, it will also read USB memory sticks.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:30 AM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist

Thanks for educatin' me, HarryT.