Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-19-2008, 11:35 PM   #1
sahlberg
sahlberg began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Can ffl, ffi ligatures be used?

I am experimenting with html2lrf html2epub and ligatures by marking them up as fi ... in the html.

I get the fi and the fl ligatures to show up but ffl and ffi do not apparently exist in the default fonts in the reader.

Does anyone know if there are other fonts in the reader which contain a full set of the f ligatures? How do I switch to those fonts?
Is it possible to extract the fonts from the reader and manually add the missing ligatures?

Anyone have any other idea?

ronnie sahlberg
sahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:59 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why not just use the letter fi, fl, ffi, and ffl? Makes no sense to use ligatures in place where the letters work fine.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:26 AM   #3
sahlberg
sahlberg began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why not just use the letter fi, fl, ffi, and ffl? Makes no sense to use ligatures in place where the letters work fine.
The letters work but I think the ligatures look a lot better.

I take this as a no, these ligatures cant be used :-(
sahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:54 AM   #4
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
It is possible to replace the fonts in the reader - I think the PRSCustomizer includes Sony font's with extended chars, but I'm not sure exactly what chars are included. There's also a detailed document on how to replace the default font with an alternative font set, but either way you need to reflash the reader. That's easier than it sounds, although you do need an SD card to do so.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:10 AM   #5
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
For ligatures, hyphenation, real footnotes and any other typesetting features, use PDF instead of LRF/ePub to get much better results.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:22 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can embed fonts in the epub. At the moment, calibre doesn't have support for embedding fonts, its on my TODO list, but you can manually edit the epub to embed the font.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote