Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-12-2008, 12:02 PM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
These are all great recommendations. My only quibble is that I'd replace "The Uplift War" with "Startide Rising."
They're both great books - I just think that "The Uplift War" is a better story - much more going on in it. IIRC, the events of "Startide Rising" and "The Uplift War" happen in parallel, so it doesn't really matter which one you read first.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:57 PM   #32
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
I agree about the Foundation series not being very "hard" SF, but i found them a chore to get through. I just don't think there's enough action for her. I want her to get hooked on sci-fi, so I am hoping her first few reads are memorable.
If she also likes mysteries I like the R. Daneel Olivaw (was it?) series by Asimov. I think the titles where:

Caves of Steel
The Naked Sun
Robots of Dawn

Very soft SF... more like mysteries of the robotic laws.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:53 PM   #33
wmrawls
Connoisseur
wmrawls began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Dell Axim X50V
Eric Flint, Andre Norton, Bujould, Alan Dean Foster, (Bujolds Miles Vorkosigan would be a good one for her to read), SM Stirling....all of these have great stories but not "HARD core SF" in the that they don't dwell a lot on the High end technical stuff.IMHO that is.
wmrawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:26 PM   #34
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
(There was a horrible movie with Cheryl Ladd, where far future people come back and crash airplanes for some reason or another. I remember thinking the story was much better than the movie.) But I digress.
I enjoyed that movie (back then) didn't know it was based on a novel, gonner do a bit of research

Movie is based on John Varley's book 'Millennium' and it's only available on the darknet

Last edited by Gibbo; 05-12-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:52 PM   #35
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
This may sound funny, but Johanna Lindsey (romance novelist) wrote a few decent sci-fi/romance novels that might be a good bridge. I don't recall the titles (been 15 years or so) but I do recall enjoying them and they had some interesting twists on technology I hadn't seen elsewhere.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:38 AM   #36
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
These are all great recommendations. My only quibble is that I'd replace "The Uplift War" with "Startide Rising." It's one book earlier in the series; still a great starting point. And who wouldn't like a book in which (paraphrasing now) a character in the middle of a space battle experiences "a sudden overpowering sense of déjà vu" and recognizes it as being due to "a near miss with a probability weapon"? What a concept!

Xenophon
i'm adding that book to my own list on the basis of that incident alone.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:46 PM   #37
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Thanks everyone. I've managed to get her interested in The Caves of Steel, part of the Robot Series by Isaac Asimov. She seems to be enjoying it. I am going to suggest some of the fantasy work recommended here. Thanks again!
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:38 PM   #38
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
For soft SF, I'm surprised someone hasn't suggested the entire Star Wars catalog. Easy to read, plenty of action, more about the people than the technology, and the tech is colloquially-worded for easy understanding at any level. Same goes for most of the Star Trek catalog, for that matter.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:21 PM   #39
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
For soft SF, I'm surprised someone hasn't suggested the entire Star Wars catalog. Easy to read, plenty of action, more about the people than the technology, and the tech is colloquially-worded for easy understanding at any level. Same goes for most of the Star Trek catalog, for that matter.

Hmm, if going for the Star trek catalog, would suggest going for books by some of the better authors such as Diane Duane, Peter David, D.C. Fontana, etc.

I've found that that usually gives a better introduction to the franchise then just picking one up at random :-) .
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:24 PM   #40
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
When you are trying to get your kid to eat their vegetables you put cheese on top of the brussel sprouts, not the brussel sprouts on a saucer of cheese. If these are for a person that needs to be 'eased' into SF, I think the last two books you would want to put in front of them would be SW or ST. I can almost hear a high pitched yelp coming from his g/f as she carefully backs away.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:16 PM   #41
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, my wife loves Star Trek. She even went to a convention once, a long time ago. I think she would be interested, except she doesn't know where to start, with either series. There's so many dang books.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:31 PM   #42
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Allen M. Steele's Coyote Trilogy (Coyote, Coyote Frontier and Coyote Rising)

While some of Steele's work contains quite a bit of modern astro-science jargon, the Coyote series is much more just pure adventure and intrigue. When I originally gave Coyote an SFBC (science fiction book club) readers review I described it as something like:

first half is Political-Spy intrigue, and the second half is Mark Twain frontier adventure.

A great novel!

Donn

P.S. My 75 yo Mother, who is absolutely no SF fan, just loved Coyote too. It was probably the only science fiction she ever read.

Last edited by Donnageddon; 05-14-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:43 PM   #43
astrodad
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Allen M. Steele's Coyote Trilogy (Coyote, Coyote Frontier and Coyote Rising)

While some of Steele's work contains quite a bit of modern astro-science jargon, the Coyote series is much more just pure adventure and intrigue. When I originally gave Coyote an SFBC (science fiction book club) readers review I described it as something like:

first half is Political-Spy intrigue, and the second half is Mark Twain frontier adventure.

A great novel!

Donn

P.S. My 75 yo Mother, who is absolutely no SF fan, just loved Coyote too. It was probably the only science fiction she ever read.
That does sound interesting! Thanks!
Old 05-14-2008, 09:27 PM   #44
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
Actually, my wife loves Star Trek. She even went to a convention once, a long time ago. I think she would be interested, except she doesn't know where to start, with either series. There's so many dang books.
I agree... start with those by the authors busy mentioned.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:44 PM   #45
The Alternative
Techno-Junkie
The Alternative doesn't litterThe Alternative doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 (x's 2), PRS-505, PRS-600, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDecraene View Post

Women in general really don't seem to hit it off with SF don't they ??!!
I guess Ann Rand, Anne McCaffrey, Andre Norton, Mercedes Lackey, Emma Bull and a host of others would probably disagree with you...
The Alternative is offline   Reply With Quote