Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-17-2017, 02:41 PM   #31
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I have to assume Amazon is working on a real Windows 10 Kindle app (I'm still using Kindle for Windows 8 on my Windows 10 systems), ETA unknown. This should work with the Windows 10 accessibility features directly without need for 3rd party solutions (though these might offer additional features), and they might as well make it 'universal' so it runs on Windows Phone (if the platform still exists by that time).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:59 PM   #32
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Amazon is now delivering Kindle for PC version 1.19.1 (46084) from their main download page.

Perhaps someone can chime in if a direct download link for the older version is known.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2017, 07:53 PM   #33
tastyeng
tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tastyeng ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to name
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Perhaps someone can chime in if a direct download link for the older version is known.
Kindle for PC 1.17.1: https://s3.amazonaws.com/kindleforpc...1.17.44170.exe

The app may autoupdate itself to 1.19 though, so I'm not sure the old version will be usable for more than one run at a time unless one prevents the new version check. It's also possible that Amazon will eventually block older versions from being able to connect.

Amazon are still distributing the old version for the Mac from the official page, but presuming an eventual update to 1.19 here's the direct link for 1.17.1:

Kindle for Mac 1.17.1: https://s3.amazonaws.com/kindleforma...rMac-44182.dmg
tastyeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:50 AM   #34
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I have to assume Amazon is working on a real Windows 10 Kindle app (I'm still using Kindle for Windows 8 on my Windows 10 systems), ETA unknown. This should work with the Windows 10 accessibility features directly without need for 3rd party solutions (though these might offer additional features), and they might as well make it 'universal' so it runs on Windows Phone (if the platform still exists by that time).
When they pull their Windows Store app last fall, they said users should move to Kindle for PC. They were only going to continue developing one PC app. They still have a Windows Phone app.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:53 AM   #35
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastyeng View Post
The app may autoupdate itself to 1.19 though, so I'm not sure the old version will be usable for more than one run at a time unless one prevents the new version check. It's also possible that Amazon will eventually block older versions from being able to connect.
[/url]
Go to Tools > Options and uncheck automatic updates. But yes, eventually it will prompt you that you need to update to continue using.
Advert
Old 01-21-2017, 05:46 PM   #36
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad Mini, my PC and Galaxy Tab A :)
Thank you all for all the help. I successfully am back to version 1.17 of Kindle. The AutoUpdate has been turned off. I will use this version as long as it's working.

Thank you all for the suggestions and knowledge that was shared.

Shykat
Shykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:26 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Once you get version 1.17 save the download file in case you ever need it again.
Or until Amazon forces and update from 1.17 to 1.19. Then you won't have any need for the install file for 1.17.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:08 AM   #38
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Amazon is now delivering Kindle for PC version 1.19.1 (46084) from their main download page.
Some status updates:

On Jan 20 Amazon pulled 1.19.1 (46084) from the main download page and went back to delivering version 1.17.1.

Today (Jan 24) my Kindle for PC has updated to 1.19.2 (46095). In testing I found that a bug I noticed in the prior version has now been fixed. I am guessing that this will become the next released version unless more problems are found by Amazon.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:13 PM   #39
pluma
Enthusiast
pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
SOLUTION: don't buy a bs amazon device.

It's THAT simple.
pluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 06:32 PM   #40
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Go to Tools > Options and uncheck automatic updates. But yes, eventually it will prompt you that you need to update to continue using.
I just delete the final e off of EXE. It doesn't bother me until I want it again, and I do have the former versions if all I want to do is see what books are there.
I usually convert and stick them in a file ready to be copied to an SD card. I won't read on the app. I don't like it.

My old Wifi Nook will still turn on and use a 2G SD card. The inkBOOK does also.
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:51 PM   #41
Ghod
Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nook HD+, Nook Personal Touch, Nook Personal Touch with Glo
Question Can't We Just...

If the newer version of a reader app turns out to be a problem, and someone still has a copy of the older version on hand, shouldn't sharing it with someone else, who can't find that older version online, be ok? I don't recall, for example, seeing anything stated while downloading or installing the Nook for PC program that precludes giving copies to other people.

It's not an issue for me, since I was still able to locate a copy when I found that the Nook app for Win8 made my books unreadable on Win10, even though they appeared to be trying very hard to hide it. I'm thinking that in some cases, all links for one of these could easily disappear, leaving anyone preferring the older program high and dry.

I'm just thinking about how difficult it can be for some people, if, like me, the drive their software was all stored on blows chunks. In my case, I still was able to find both Kindle for PC and Nook for PC. I haven't yet bought anything from Kobo (despite having had my Aura for quite some time), so that software isn't an issue for me.

Just wondering.
Ghod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:59 PM   #42
lkmiller
Laura

@Ghod

Yes, that's fine. But with Kindle for PC, Amazon has eventually required you to upgrade if you wish to keep downloading your books.

Nook for PC (so far) has just continued to work even though it's not officially supported anymore.

Kobo's apps auto-update. But you can also download their books with Adobe Digital editions, and the older 2.0.1 version is still working for that.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:29 AM   #43
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
@Ghod

Yes, that's fine. But with Kindle for PC, Amazon has eventually required you to upgrade if you wish to keep downloading your books.

Nook for PC (so far) has just continued to work even though it's not officially supported anymore.

Kobo's apps auto-update. But you can also download their books with Adobe Digital editions, and the older 2.0.1 version is still working for that.
Although 2.0.1 is an "old" version, it was just recently forced on everyone (at least in the U.S. for library users). One day 1.7 worked (for U.S. libraries), and the next it didn't; I don't believe there was even any sort of communications that 1.7 would stop working.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:13 AM   #44
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
On Jan 20 Amazon pulled 1.19.1 (46084) from the main download page and went back to delivering version 1.17.1.
As of today [Jan 30] Amazon is again delivering 1.19 [specifically 1.19.2 (46095)] from the main Kindle for PC download page.

Added:

They also updated the Download & Install the Latest Version of Kindle for PC page.

Quote:
The latest version of Kindle for PC, 1.19.2, includes the following:

Enhanced Typesetting on eligible content for better reading:

Hyphenation plus smoother word spacing result in faster reading with less eye strain. Improved character placement increases word recognition speed with any font size.

Enhanced page layout: Drop caps, text, images, and Print-like layout that automatically adapt to your screen or font size.

You can enjoy reading with larger font sizes without compromising your reading experience. Page layout and margins automatically adapt to look great with even the largest font sizes.

Auto-column text: This improvement will add or delete columns based on the page width and font size in order to ensure comfortable reading for text lines.

Improvements to the search feature — We have increased the search results limit.

Text-to-Speech — This update includes support for Text-to-Speech on eligible Kindle content. For more details about Text-to-Speech, visit Kindle for PC Keyboard Shortcuts.

Other performance improvements.
Further addition:

Versions down to 1.14 are still supported for now, but that could change at any time.

I have a hypothesis that 1.14 has been supported this long because it is the basis of Kindle for PC with Accessibility Plugin. Now that TTS is supported by the latest release they have less reason the maintain support for that older version.

Last edited by jhowell; 01-30-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:45 PM   #45
lkmiller
Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Although [Adobe Digital Editions] 2.0.1 is an "old" version, it was just recently forced on everyone (at least in the U.S. for library users). One day 1.7 worked (for U.S. libraries), and the next it didn't; I don't believe there was even any sort of communications that 1.7 would stop working.
I had heard that ADE 1.7 had stopped working for Google Play ebooks, but didn't know about the Overdrive library books. I don't think there was any warning there either. Of course, the help pages have probably always guided people to the latest version. I've been using 2.0.1 since it *was* the latest version.