Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-30-2018, 03:35 PM   #1
bttrflii
bttrflii has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bttrflii has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bttrflii has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bttrflii has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Downgrade 5.9.2 Voyage

I absolutely screwed up when I was seeing how the Lending Library worked and left wi-fi on for long enough for update 5.9.2.0.1 to download and force-install itself. No amount of powering off my kindle or plugging it into my computer stopped the update or let me delete the update file, and I tried nonstop for over a half hour before I admitted defeat. I am absolutely furious with myself and am desperately hoping that someone knows if I can unscrew my kindle.

I've searched online and in this forum and tried the various downgrade firmware posts, but my kindle will either delete the bin files without saying anything (as in the case of v5.5) or will tell me that I have an invalid update (as in the case of 5.6.5 or the hotfix bins).

I DID have both the jailbreak and KUAL installed prior to this upgrade, but I have read confusing information on if that will make a difference in my situation. I didn't know until today that there was a new update to the jailbreak, so no, I'm sure that update wasn't installed since my files are dated 2016. When I try to open KUAL now, I get an application error. "The selected application could not be started. Please try again."

Please, if anyone knows a way for me to get my custom screen savers back instead of these ugly typeset ones, I will be tremendously grateful.
bttrflii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:48 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the dev forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:20 AM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Your jb should have survived.

But you do have to re-install everything.
You may have to use the ;log mrpi command in the search bar to trigger MrPI after you put the packages in /mrpackages.

You might want to re-read the final few steps of the jb to remind yourself of how to do these things.
The directions you followed are still there, just click the spoiler button to reveal them.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:32 PM   #4
SnowLeopardW
SnowLeopardW began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG with 3.4.2 firmware
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Your jb should have survived.

But you do have to re-install everything.
You may have to use the ;log mrpi command in the search bar to trigger MrPI after you put the packages in /mrpackages.

You might want to re-read the final few steps of the jb to remind yourself of how to do these things.
The directions you followed are still there, just click the spoiler button to reveal them.
Nothing happened after ;log mrpi. How to confirm my jailbreak is still there? Thank you!
SnowLeopardW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:58 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopardW View Post
Nothing happened after ;log mrpi. How to confirm my jailbreak is still there? Thank you!
What packages did you have in /mrpackages when you tried that command?
Old 02-01-2018, 01:08 PM   #6
SnowLeopardW

Quote:
What packages did you have in /mrpackages when you tried that command?
Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7.2_install.bin

Thank you for your help!
Old 02-01-2018, 02:14 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopardW View Post
Did you try the test program attached to the first post of the jb thread?
With what results?
Old 02-01-2018, 02:37 PM   #8
SnowLeopardW

Quote:
With what results?
Nothing happened after ;log mrpi with Update_dummy_0.0.N.bin in /mrpackages. Only copy update_kindle_voyage_5.9.2.0.1.bin and run. T_T
Old 02-01-2018, 02:54 PM   #9
SnowLeopardW

Quote:
With what results?
After put the Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_nomax_install.bin into / instead of /mrpackages and Update in the System Settings. Finally, ;log mrpi works and KUAL comes back. Thank you so much!
Old 02-02-2018, 01:58 AM   #10
bttrflii
bttrflii has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bttrflii has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bttrflii has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bttrflii has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I'm late to reply to my own thread, but I've been trying quite hard to get it done on my own. I sucked at it, but I really tried.

Like SnowLeopard, I had zero progress with ;log mrpi until I followed his example of installing the nomax jb hotfix. For those who come to this thread needing the same thing and who want specific instructions, scroll down a bit.

Unlike SnowLeopard, however, KUAL didn't magically start opening for me. I still get that application error when I try to open it even with ;log mrpi working fine. I have tried so many things that I can't even remember them all anymore. I even tried deleting every reference to KUAL in the directory system I could find and "installing" it again, which according to the KUAL page means just copying the azw2 file into the documents folder. Even with KUAL gone from my kindle that I could find, however, it still showed up when I ejected my kindle, so I'm not entirely sure I was ever able to clear out the broken one so that I could reinstall it. In case you're wondering "why not just touch and hold on it from your kindle, and then select delete", it's because I can't access any menu whatsoever on KUAL that way.

I read on one of the posts that if things are broken that you might need to reinstall MKK, but when I went to try that, everything in it was for the older kindles with nothing for the Voyage.

To quickly sum up what I've tried with links in case I'm in the wrong places, I went to 5.6.5 Jailbreak (closed-kindle) -- released! again since that's the jb post I followed. I tried and failed to find an MKK version for my Voyage at Mobileread Kindlet Kit. I tried and failed to reinstall KUAL from KUAL: Kindle Unified Application Launcher (v2.7), and I tried both the 2.6 and 2.7 versions of that. Even though the MrPI folders were still in my kindle, I did recopy them from MobileRead Package Installer but I don't think it made any difference since KUAL won't open anyway.

I did give putting the screen saver hack in the mrpackages folder again a shot and do a ;log mrpi on that, but though it installed, it didn't actually work. I'm still getting the default screen savers instead of either the "hey it worked" screen saver or my current book cover.

==
== To get the ";log mrpi" to work ==

Getting this to "work" actually means that you see text scrolling in a little box at the bottom of your kindle.

- Download the nomax hotfix
- Copy it to the root directory of your kindle
- Eject your kindle
- Go to Settings - Update
- After your kindle restarts, do a search for ";log mrpi" (no quotes). You should see tiny text at the bottom of your screen if it worked.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:27 AM   #11
nemiere
nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bttrflii View Post
I'm late to reply to my own thread, but I've been trying quite hard to get it done on my own. I sucked at it, but I really tried.

Like SnowLeopard, I had zero progress with ;log mrpi until I followed his example of installing the nomax jb hotfix. For those who come to this thread needing the same thing and who want specific instructions, scroll down a bit.

Unlike SnowLeopard, however, KUAL didn't magically start opening for me.
It seems the same behaviour that I have in my KV. I found my problem, and this simple solution works for me: My MRPI itself was obsolete, so I downloaded MRPI from NiLuJe snapshots, and replaced my Kindle /extensions/MRInstaler folder with the same folder from snapshot version. And KUAL, Python, SS installers now works from ";log mrpi".
nemiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:57 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemiere View Post
It seems the same behaviour that I have in my KV. I found my problem, and this simple solution works for me: My MRPI itself was obsolete, so I downloaded MRPI from NiLuJe snapshots, and replaced my Kindle /extensions/MRInstaler folder with the same folder from snapshot version. And KUAL, Python, SS installers now works from ";log mrpi".
Internally, MrPI uses KindleTool.
KindleTool must be able to identify the model of the device and the model the firmware package is built for.

Hence, new models must use the new build(s) of KindleTool.

Which is consistent with our statement "all add-ins must be re-installed after an update by Amazon".
Where to find the most recent build is described in the "release policy" section of the jail break.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:04 AM   #13
bttrflii

I had to be missing something, and I was critically off tangent when it comes to KUAL.

First, I did follow the install directions (several times, actually, over the course of my attempts) for MRPI from the link I gave in my prior post about "I did these steps". I believe where I got off tangent in this area is that KUAL *used* to open up a book-like interface that I could touch around in, and no amount of messing with MRPI files let me open the KUAL interface anymore. Since I couldn't open KUAL like I used to, I assumed I was 100% stuck.

That said, omg thank you so much, nemiere. Your direct focus on MRPI and using only ";log mrpi" got me focused on something other than my KUAL error and let me work around the hurdle I thought I was stuck on with KUAL no longer opening. I was able to get my screen savers working again and my Voyage is no longer a total piece of poop. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Secondly, in case it helps anyone else who comes to this thread, I finally, finally, finally found at least part of a solution my KUAL-doesn't-open problem. Even after upgrading KUAL itself, I still had to stumble across the never-mentioned and hidden-in-plain-sight booklet upgrade bin ninja-riding in the KUAL-v2.7.zip file. Put that little goober in your mrpackages folder, do a ";log mrpi" search, and you should have an open-able KUAL "book" again.

I'm still left with a "dev" KUAL app that doesn't open, but I can at least get into KUAL through the second file.

------

@knc1: There might be some confusion about the age of my Voyage since you mention "new models". I have one of the first 2014 Voyages ever shipped since I pre-ordered about six weeks in advance, so my kindle isn't really a spring chicken anymore. :p

@knc1, SnowLeopard, and nemiere:
Thank you guys so much. I mean it truly. Having book covers as screen savers is why I struggled through jailbreaking every kindle I've had and 99% of why I was so heartbroken at my kindle upgrading.

PS
Getting back to my thread title, however, if anyone does know if it's possible to downgrade a 5.9.2 firmware Voyage 1 to 5.6 again, I would still love to do so. This new UI is the suckage and I am repeatedly getting a bug where I can't move forward a page via any means at all without restarting my whole device first.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:19 AM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
@knc1: There might be some confusion about the age of my Voyage since you mention "new models". I have one of the first 2014 Voyages ever shipped since I pre-ordered about six weeks in advance, so my kindle isn't really a spring chicken anymore.
Not only are packages "model locked", they also have a "maximum build ID" lock.
The model ID never changes, the build ID increases with firmware builds.
Software intended to run on a PW2 (actually, the PW3, which is staying on the market longer than expected), are exceeding the previously set "maximum build ID".
So KindleTool (which is used internally by MrPI) had to be updated with a higher build ID limit.
OR
The packages had to be all re-packaged with a "nomax" style package - which defeats the model protections. Anyway, KindleTool got updated and coplate built a few of the critical packages in the "nomax" style (which is why the "nomax" in their filenames).

The PW1 and older do not have this problem, since they are no longer supported with firmware updates.

Note: PW2 introduced prior to KV == KV, one of the newer models.

(*) The PW2 is the beneficiary of the PW3's long production run because it uses the same SoC.
Only the i.MX6 devices are being supported with firmware updates (plus, of course, last year's Oasis, an i.MX7 device).
The devices using the i.MX50 series of SoC and older have no support.
(The TLS update last spring, that included the PW1 and older devices, was not in support of the devices, it was in support of the store operations (Amazon's revenue stream).)

Translation of all above:
Firmware for devices using a i.MX6 SoC (System on a Chip - the name started with the putting an entire IBM PC on a chip) are exceeding the planned on limit to one of the safety checks internal to KindleTool (and hence MrPI).)

Now how many of our non-techy users know what model series SoC is inside of their Kindle?

Last edited by knc1; 02-12-2018 at 04:36 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:07 AM   #15
nemiere
nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That said, omg thank you so much, nemiere. Your direct focus on MRPI and using only ";log mrpi" got me focused on something other than my KUAL error and let me work around the hurdle I thought I was stuck on with KUAL no longer opening. I was able to get my screen savers working again and my Voyage is no longer a total piece of poop. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
I'm glad my message helps you

Quote:
Secondly, in case it helps anyone else who comes to this thread, I finally, finally, finally found at least part of a solution my KUAL-doesn't-open problem. Even after upgrading KUAL itself, I still had to stumble across the never-mentioned and hidden-in-plain-sight booklet upgrade bin ninja-riding in the KUAL-v2.7.zip file. Put that little goober in your mrpackages folder, do a ";log mrpi" search, and you should have an open-able KUAL "book" again.
... providing that you have previously updated MRPI package itself. If your MRPI is outdated, ";log mrpi" search seems to work but does nothing than just removing the .bin file.
nemiere is offline   Reply With Quote