Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 10-21-2016, 07:23 PM   #1
Drizzt321
Drizzt321 began at the beginning.

Airon AirBook City Base

So, while waiting for my ebayed Sony PRS-T3 replacement (my current one stopped working ), I was poking around Amazon and saw this little device,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B1FGZUQ. Strangely I bought it on for $69.99, today when I look it's $80.00 for me. Odd.

A few details, it's a 6" E-Ink Pearl, 1024x758 like all the rest. Handles TXT, EPUB, PDF, FB2, DOC, RTF, CHM, DJVU, ZIP, HTM, HTML, MOBI (or at least, it claims, there are default epub and fb2 books on it), 4GB onboard with mSD up to 32GB. No touch screen, but plenty of buttons _including_ page turn on the bottom so I can change the page while holding it by the bottom. Yay!

That's my biggest complaint of nearly all of the newer ones. Sure, there _may_ be a page turn button on one side or both, but RARELY is there any at the bottom so if I'm holding it by the bottom, I have to completely shift in order to turn the page. No touchscreen though.

Anyway, just received it, charging it up then going home to use it. Very initial impressions:

* Came using English as the UI default, although nearly every other documentation including the box appears to be in Russian.
* Interface isn't too bad, although refresh is perhaps a bit slow. I think it's just a slower CPU than the PRS-T3 or something.
* Came with a few books onboard including stuff like Game of Thrones, Mockingjay, and some others. Probably pre-loaded pirated stuff
* There's actually a "refresh screen" button, interesting. And a setting to control how frequent the full screen is refreshed. Interesting. At higher number of pages (1, 3, 5) it goes slightly faster.
* Default font is a bit harsh, although I do see different fonts and different text sizes. I'll play around with them when I can.
* The lock is kinda odd. The power button on the bottom of the device, a long press locks/unlocks it. However, when charging, it doesn't seem like it'll unlock. But unplugging it results in an auto-unlock. A quirk.

Anyway, that's my quick, initial impressions, I'll provide some more if ya'll want.
Drizzt321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 07:56 PM   #2
Drizzt321
Drizzt321 began at the beginning.

So after spending a few weeks with this, a bit of an update.

Biggest complaint is the buttons. They're a bit squishy and don't always register well, which I guess is what you get for a cheap design so not as much precision goes into making sure the parts fit together as well. They work fine for the most part though, just have to make sure to push in the right spot, especially on the 4-way at the bottom.

Battery life is decent. Not amazing, but sufficient.

Refresh, as I said, is a bit slower than I'd like. Such is life for such a cheap device.

All in all, for the $70 I spent on it, it's a fair value. Sufficient, not much in the way of frills, and it works once you adjust to some of it's quirks. Could be a fair stocking stuffer if you have someone who wants a fairly simple e-book reader, but isn't tied to anything like Amazon or whatever e-book store.
Drizzt321 is offline   Reply With Quote