Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 07-08-2010, 06:14 PM   #1
jpt
Enthusiast
jpt began at the beginning.

Device: OLPC; Nokia 770; White EZ Reader Pocket Pro; Bookeen Cybook Odyssey
Pinpoint black specks on display

Hey--

I recently noticed a couple of tiny light gray-ish specks on my EZ Reader Pocket Pro's screen. I'm pretty sure they aren't dust -- or at least I couldn't wipe them off. I've tried fiddling with the inverted screen option in CoolReader, and I'm pretty sure they're not stuck pixels or the like. I think.

Should I be at all worried about this? They aren't *that* noticable -- I kind of have to look for them, and if I'm actually holding the device a foot or so away as I would when I'm normally reading, I can't see them at all. They might have been there before and I just never noticed them -- I'm not sure. It was quite a bit hotter today, and I did use it outside, though I don't think that should be an issue.

Just being my usual obsessive self.

Thanks,

-- J.P.

Last edited by jpt; 07-08-2010 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Specks aren't quite black
jpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:38 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpt View Post
Hey--

I recently noticed a couple of tiny light gray-ish specks on my EZ Reader Pocket Pro's screen. I'm pretty sure they aren't dust -- or at least I couldn't wipe them off. I've tried fiddling with the inverted screen option in CoolReader, and I'm pretty sure they're not stuck pixels or the like. I think.

Should I be at all worried about this? They aren't *that* noticable -- I kind of have to look for them, and if I'm actually holding the device a foot or so away as I would when I'm normally reading, I can't see them at all. They might have been there before and I just never noticed them -- I'm not sure. It was quite a bit hotter today, and I did use it outside, though I don't think that should be an issue.

Just being my usual obsessive self.

Thanks,

-- J.P.
Specks?
I now have a micro-small "moon crater" (about 5px across includes the fuzzy edges).

Not a mark on the plastic over it.
I thought I managed to do some damage without marking the outer screen, which is why I have not said anything (besides, the warranty is expired/voided because I peeled the case).
Other than that, it works everywhere else
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Care to post a pic or two, I'm curious to see these dots and your crater ducks!!
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Duckey peeled the case

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Specks?
I now have a micro-small "moon crater" (about 5px across includes the fuzzy edges).

I thought I managed to do some damage without marking the outer screen, which is why I have not said anything (besides, the warranty is expired/voided because I peeled the case).
Dear Duckey:

I would not think that just peeling the paint off the case by itself would void the warranty. Taking it apart to do the peeling might. However, I know you are constantly trying to help on here. If you wanna pursue it I would speak up in your behalf as I know you are highly technical-savvy! No guarantees but open to trying.

Dear JPT:

On the subject of black specs on the screen... I do not know. Why not call tech support at:1-866-368-8677 OR email to support@astak.com and attach a picture. Let us analyse this.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Duck's crater!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Care to post a pic or two, I'm curious to see these dots and your crater ducks!!
Dear Solicitous:

Be careful. Duckey has been banned in Boston for some of the pictures he posts! You may be thinking you are looking at a screen and the crater is elsewhere.
Advert
Old 07-08-2010, 06:57 PM   #6
jpt
Enthusiast

Mine aren't nearly that big; they're probably less than a pixel in size. Barely visible.

Just tried to get a picture... I think it's too small. (And I have a 10.1 megapixel camera.) Either that or I'm moving the camera slightly...

I don't think I'll worry about it.

-- J.P.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:04 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It is inline with the "D"
I could not get closer with my simple Camera.

Last edited by theducks; 07-26-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:11 PM   #8
jpt
Enthusiast

Quote:
The speck on mine is definitely smaller than that.

-- J.P.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #9
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Solicitous:

Be careful. Duckey has been banned in Boston for some of the pictures he posts! You may be thinking you are looking at a screen and the crater is elsewhere.
HAHA Thanks Robert. Perhaps I should have thought about what I was asking more clearly before posting (so much for 4 years university education improving my communication).

Ok Ducky, would you mind posting pictures of your 5" Pocket Pro (the ereader, not another 'device' you might have by that name) . I'm curious to see this sport. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:29 PM   #10
Solicitous
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks for that (forget my prior post I should have read the entire thread again). Is that spot constant when the PP is turned off or does it disappear and reappear when you turn it back on?
Old 07-08-2010, 07:35 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Thanks for that (forget my prior post I should have read the entire thread again). Is that spot constant when the PP is turned off or does it disappear and reappear when you turn it back on?
Always there
Power, no power.
looks just like someone shot my screen with a BB, but no mark on the clear screen.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:00 PM   #12
Robertb

Just know we are here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpt View Post
Mine aren't nearly that big; they're probably less than a pixel in size. Barely visible.

Just tried to get a picture... I think it's too small. (And I have a 10.1 megapixel camera.) Either that or I'm moving the camera slightly...

I don't think I'll worry about it.

-- J.P.
Dear J.P. :

You do have a one year warranty. You can relax for a while and IF anything does get worse we will be here.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:57 PM   #13
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Quote:
Specks?

I'm curious... when you say the plastic over it, do you mean the actual screen of the Pocket Pro, or did you purchase a protective screen cover (like what they have for Palms)? I've wondered if I should have some sort of cover to protect the screen, but I haven't really looked into it to see if anyone sells them, or if it's even recommended. I'd almost be afraid the protective cover would damage the screen, so I haven't looked into it too much.

Thanks
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:12 AM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davimee View Post
I'm curious... when you say the plastic over it, do you mean the actual screen of the Pocket Pro, or did you purchase a protective screen cover (like what they have for Palms)? I've wondered if I should have some sort of cover to protect the screen, but I haven't really looked into it to see if anyone sells them, or if it's even recommended. I'd almost be afraid the protective cover would damage the screen, so I haven't looked into it too much.

Thanks
The default screen.
The real display is under a clear sheet.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:39 AM   #15
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
If you rotate the screen between portrait and landscape, do the specks and crater move also or do they stay in the same place? If thge latter, then my money would be on stuck or dead pixels.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote