Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 06-21-2010, 09:32 PM   #1
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Exclamation What will the Nook & Kindle do to Astak?

Today I received an email from Barnes & Noble saying they have drastically dropped the price of the Nook. With 3G it is $199, with wi-fi only it is $149. That's amazing. I guess now Amazon is dropping the Kindle down to $189. This is great, as it will make it easier for more people to purchase ebook readers... but what will it do to smaller companies like Astak? I love my Pocket Pro and would hate to see Astak become a casualty of this type of price war. I know Robertb has said in the past Astak makes very little money on their readers. I really hope this doesn't take them out of the ereader game.
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
I really hope this doesn't take them out of the ereader game.
not with thinking buyers

for some people the freedom that only THEY decide whats on their devices is worth the extra money.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 09:56 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It does make it harder for smaller companies to compete. This is in part because Amazon and B&N (and Kobo) device owners probably also buy many of their ebooks from the originating site. So Amazon and B&N and Kobo can make a significant profit from selling ebooks. This is less true for the smaller companies, even though Astak does have an ebook store.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:04 PM   #4
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
not with thinking buyers

for some people the freedom that only THEY decide whats on their devices is worth the extra money.
To be honest, if B&N had offered a Nook at $149 back in February when I bought mine, I would have seriously considered it. Price was one of the biggest influencing factors in my purchase decision. Size was the second factor, so it's possible I would have still gone with the Pocket Pro. I really like the small size so I can easily put it in my purse. I don't know if the Nook would fit. Right now I am so glad the Nook wasn't cheaper, as I am extremely happy with my purchase. But I have a feeling the lower cost will influence a lot of people in their decisions of what to buy.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:07 PM   #5
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma

Wallcraft, it will be very interesting to see what the ereader market does in the next 6 months. I would love to buy an ereader for my daughter who loves to read, but that's not high on our list right now financially. But if the prices continue to drop, it might be feasible in the future. She would prefer a ipod, but I'd rather she have an ebook reader. And I'm not going to plunk down the money for her to have an ipod, just because that's what her friends have. I guess I'm mean that way.
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 10:29 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davimee View Post
Wallcraft, it will be very interesting to see what the ereader market does in the next 6 months. I would love to buy an ereader for my daughter who loves to read, but that's not high on our list right now financially. But if the prices continue to drop, it might be feasible in the future. She would prefer a ipod, but I'd rather she have an ebook reader. And I'm not going to plunk down the money for her to have an ipod, just because that's what her friends have. I guess I'm mean that way.
Price isn't everything

Good Value is what people should look for.
Astak offers the Value of NOT locking you in to a specific store.

Amazon lost most of my business when they refused to sell a modern book that I can read on MY reader. Cracking their DRM is not something I wish to do. Then have to clean up the page format mess.
I am buying a BOOK, not a do it yourself publishg project.

As long as Astak can service what they sell. they have my
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:39 PM   #7
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
not with thinking buyers

I tend to agree with you. I think the EZ line of ereader are great. To me they are simple to use with no added complications. I like the freedom of organising my ebooks the way I like through my own folder structure. I don't quite understand the desire for ereaders to index every book on an ereader, I know what is on there I put it there.

That said a gut feeling tells me we might see a price reduction. I like Astak and I want them to stay in business, to me they are honest players wanting to provide a product consumers want.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:44 PM   #8
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Price isn't everything

Amazon lost most of my business when they refused to sell a modern book that I can read on MY reader. Cracking their DRM is not something I wish to do. Then have to clean up the page format mess.
I am buying a BOOK, not a do it yourself publishg project.

As long as Astak can service what they sell. they have my
It isn't?

Amazon was never in the running for me since I could only buy their books for the Kindle. I wasn't interested in that. Plus, the whole thing with 1984 made me a bit nervous to use their store.

I think for me, the best thing Astak has going for them is their customer service. I would be willing to pay more for the product and get their wonderful customer service. Unfortunately, that's not something most people will be aware of when deciding which ereader to buy. It almost makes me want to go on a campaign to let people know why they should buy Astak, rather than the larger named brands.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:45 PM   #9
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
I like Astak and I want them to stay in business, to me they are honest players wanting to provide a product consumers want.
I agree with you 100%!!!
Old 06-21-2010, 11:37 PM   #10
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Price isn't everything

Weight is also a big factor. If you're ever had the chance to hold and read on the Nook you'd quickly realize how heavy that ebook device is compared to the Astak Pocket Pro.

Actually, without the cover, the Pocket Pro is quite a bit lighter than even the latest 6" Kindle (6 oz vs. 10.2 oz). With the cover, they're about the same. Same can't be said for the Kindle with a cover compared with the Pocket Pro.

A quick weight comparison:

Amazon Kindle 2 (6") = 10.2 ounces
B&N Nook (WiFi) = 11.6 ounces
Astak Pocket Pro (5", no cover) = 6 ounces

Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 06-21-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:40 PM   #11
diokdin
Groupie
diokdin began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, Astak EZ Pocket Pro, Kindle 3 3G
I also got an email from B&N about their price reduction. This will really hit Astak bad, I want them to stay in business too. But with the price reductions, it's very tempting to buy one. I'm thinking about it. Although I really love the folder oraganization in my Astak PPro and I hear Nook doesn't have that. I don't like disorganize files of my ebooks. And it will just be awful to scroll around to get to the book you're gonna read if you have 700+ or more ebooks loaded on there. The extra features of wifi/3G is nice to have but I'm just doubting about being lock down with B&N eventhough you can sideload the books you bought from fictionwise. I still love my Pocket Pro, I don't have regrets of buying this one.

To be honest, I'm really tempted to buy a Nook. (I'm still thinking though, and see what will happened.....)
diokdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:09 AM   #12
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
Weight is also a big factor. If you're ever had the chance to hold and read on the Nook you'd quickly realize how heavy that ebook device is compared to the Astak Pocket Pro.

Actually, without the cover, the Pocket Pro is quite a bit lighter than even the latest 6" Kindle (6 oz vs. 10.2 oz). With the cover, they're about the same. Same can't be said for the Kindle with a cover compared with the Pocket Pro.

A quick weight comparison:

Amazon Kindle 2 (6") = 10.2 ounces
B&N Nook (WiFi) = 11.6 ounces
Astak Pocket Pro (5", no cover) = 6 ounces
That's true, the weight is a very big factor. Even if the Nook did fit in my purse, it's almost twice the weight of the Pocket Pro and would feel heavy lugging around, after a while. I am so glad the Nook didn't drop in price before it did, because in all honesty, the lower price probably would have sold me. But to me, the Pocket Pro is worth every penny. And after having it, I wouldn't trade it in for anything on the market, even if I would get money back. It is so worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diokdin View Post
I also got an email from B&N about their price reduction. This will really hit Astak bad, I want them to stay in business too. But with the price reductions, it's very tempting to buy one. I'm thinking about it. Although I really love the folder oraganization in my Astak PPro and I hear Nook doesn't have that. I don't like disorganize files of my ebooks. And it will just be awful to scroll around to get to the book you're gonna read if you have 700+ or more ebooks loaded on there. The extra features of wifi/3G is nice to have but I'm just doubting about being lock down with B&N eventhough you can sideload the books you bought from fictionwise. I still love my Pocket Pro, I don't have regrets of buying this one.

To be honest, I'm really tempted to buy a Nook. (I'm still thinking though, and see what will happened.....)
I know exactly how you feel! I really don't want this to hurt Astak, their products and their customer service are amazing! But for a lot of people, all they will see is price. I don't know many people personally who are interested in ebook readers, but I wish I had a way of letting more people who are interested know about Astak. People will see the big names and low prices of these other ereaders, but they won't realize what all they're missing out on. I am so glad I found these forums before I bought, or I might not have even known about Astak.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:17 AM   #13
SmartyPants
Zealot
SmartyPants began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Well dont forget about non-US buyers. One of the pluses of geting Astak for me was the ease of international purchase and delivery.
I know for a fact us Aussies are not very spoilt when it comes to e-readers availability, so any company that offers hassle-free delivery is getting a big thumbs up!
SmartyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:34 AM   #14
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma

Thanks, SmartyPants! It's good to know Astak stands out in that regard, as well!
Old 06-22-2010, 12:46 AM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Of course Kindle ships internationally and from what another post said B&N is shipping the Wi-Fi only Nook internationally as well.

Will things be getting tougher for Astak? I'm sure they will. That doesn't mean they're out of it though.

They really do need to get the Agency stuff available in their book store and get covers up for more of the books they do have. I keep going there to try and give them some business, but everything I've been looking for lately they haven't had.

I think what you might see is companies like Astak having a hard time competing on the bare bones end of things, but being more competitive when it comes to more feature rich devices.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote