Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 06-21-2010, 08:39 PM   #46
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Thanks for the update! I'm sure many prayers will be going up on your behalf. Hopefully you can get some much needed rest, and enjoy your time off. We'll look forward to seeing you when you come back in August (or end of July)!
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:03 AM   #47
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i'm so sorry to hear about your knee, but glad to hear you can do something about it. taking care of yourself is important.

i'll keep a headful of good thoughts going your way!
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 01:01 PM   #48
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear All:

My surgery is now definite. I have heavy fluid thruout my left knee and a miniscus tear that is significant. My surgery will be on Thursday, July 15, at 5:30 a.m. and I elected to stay awake during the surgery to prevent complications. The surgeon is a very good and caring person who feels that a piece of the tear is protruding and causing severe pain.

Thank you for all the great wishes. I will be off MR for about two weeks following July 15.

Bob
When I had my foot surgeries 14 years ago, my surgeon and I had a huge argument over whether to knock me out or do a local. I kindasorta won out. She was afraid I would move my foot while she was injecting the local. I've had cortisone injetions which were worse than the injections she would be doing and never flinched but she didn't want to budge (picture two very strong minded women facing off!). We finally compomised by agreeing to have an anesthologist on hand in case I needed to go out completely and he would merely sedate me while she did the injection then let me wake up during the surgery. That worked out well; I was fully alert during and after the surgery (which ran longer than it was supposed to; they were amazed how well I handled it) and had no side effects. The second surgery was less extensive. They did the same thing but I wound up sleeping through the entire surgery since I had been up all night trying to finish the installation of a replacement central air uint on my home and was pooped. Again, no side effects and I even finished wiring up the thermostat afterwards while I could before the local wore off. The pain level afterwards wasn't too much; the strongest pain med I took was ibuprofen.

My surgeries were very invasive and extensive, especially the first one (I still have a titanium screw in my right foot), I came out alright. You'll probably have some physical therapy afterwards but that will keep the knee from freezing up and isn't bad. I was off work four weeks then back for four weeks of light duty; since I had a very physical job (warehousing), my surgeon and I agreed I didn't need pysical therapy. The second surgery didn't involve cutting any major bones so I was back to work full duty in four weeks.

Again, you should do just fine, especially since you have opted not to have a general anesthesia.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:10 PM   #49
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Davimee, Bass Chick, Lady... thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
When I had my foot surgeries 14 years ago, my surgeon and I had a huge argument over whether to knock me out or do a local. I kindasorta won out. She was afraid I would move my foot while she was injecting the local. I've had cortisone injetions which were worse than the injections she would be doing and never flinched but she didn't want to budge (picture two very strong minded women facing off!). We finally compomised by agreeing to have an anesthologist on hand in case I needed to go out completely and he would merely sedate me while she did the injection then let me wake up during the surgery. That worked out well; I was fully alert during and after the surgery (which ran longer than it was supposed to; they were amazed how well I handled it) and had no side effects. The second surgery was less extensive. They did the same thing but I wound up sleeping through the entire surgery since I had been up all night trying to finish the installation of a replacement central air uint on my home and was pooped. Again, no side effects and I even finished wiring up the thermostat afterwards while I could before the local wore off. The pain level afterwards wasn't too much; the strongest pain med I took was ibuprofen.

My surgeries were very invasive and extensive, especially the first one (I still have a titanium screw in my right foot), I came out alright. You'll probably have some physical therapy afterwards but that will keep the knee from freezing up and isn't bad. I was off work four weeks then back for four weeks of light duty; since I had a very physical job (warehousing), my surgeon and I agreed I didn't need pysical therapy. The second surgery didn't involve cutting any major bones so I was back to work full duty in four weeks.

Again, you should do just fine, especially since you have opted not to have a general anesthesia.
Dear All:

I am happy to have elected to go without full anesthesia and only the local!! Safer and I am always curious anyway. Besides, maybe I can read while the surgeon scopes. OR... when the surgeon and nurses see my Pocket PRO I can sell some!! "Pardon me, nurse, but what do you think of Steven Lake's latest novel. Oh, thanks for swabbing up that blood." "By the way, we have a special medical sale on now. Buy the Pocket PRO and get the complete works of the Mayo Clinic in EPUB!"

No, my latest worry is the Coumadin (Warfarin) that they give you to prevent blood clots (DVT)! Anybody ever been exposed to that? My initial reading online tells me it may be worse that the blood clot: "No need to let a clot ruin your life. Our new medicine will kill you well before you have any clot!!" I hope I am wrong, folks, but I am about to risk the blood clots and kiss off on the Coumadin. For the first time I am beginning to understand I may very well die from this operation!

The risk factor jumps way up of getting a blood clot if you smoke. Monday I quit smoking!! That is something. Being overweight raises the risk! Alright, I am dieting and have vowed to lose twenty pounds by July 15! I was exercising even with the painful knee.

I want to thank you all!! Now let us hope !!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:40 PM   #50
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm on blood thinners (aspirin and folic acid) and they don't have any side effects except they make you bleed easily (I had a sharp reminder of that when I cut the snot out of my right thumb Friday night and had to go to the emergency room to get the bleeding stopped). My Mama had to take Coumadin and she complained of hot flushes (not the same as hot flashes) but that was her only side effect. She took it for 10 or 20 years before she died at 88 so it can't be too fatal over a short term. If it were me, after seeing what happened to my Daddy after he had a series of strokes after knee replacement surgery, I would happily take the Coumadin. Daddy was in his seventies; you're probably young and should have no problems as long as you follow the doctors' instructions and don't worry about it.
Advert
Old 06-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #51
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
There are lots of heart attack survivors on Coumadin for the rest of their lives. It has to be managed if taken over the long term, but it is well understood. I'm assuming you'll only be on it for a few weeks, at most. So, no problems -- as long as you don't play with knives, or run with scissors.

Yeah, I know it's a variant of Warfarin... But you are bigger than most rats - at least the four legged ones.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:44 PM   #52
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you Lady and Pholy!! This helps!

Quote:
I'm on blood thinners (aspirin and folic acid) and they don't have any side effects except they make you bleed easily (I had a sharp reminder of that when I cut the snot out of my right thumb Friday night and had to go to the emergency room to get the bleeding stopped). My Mama had to take Coumadin and she complained of hot flushes (not the same as hot flashes) but that was her only side effect. She took it for 10 or 20 years before she died at 88 so it can't be too fatal over a short term. If it were me, after seeing what happened to my Daddy after he had a series of strokes after knee replacement surgery, I would happily take the Coumadin. Daddy was in his seventies; you're probably young and should have no problems as long as you follow the doctors' instructions and don't worry about it.
Dear Lady and Pholy:

Now I do not dread Coumadin so badly. Yes, I have read that you can cut yourself and it will not stop... but I should only be on it for 3-4 weeks and I will just stop my "6 knives in the air" balancing act. I am not young and that is the real problem. Twenty years ago I woulda laughed this off. Now, I suddenly am realizing I am not Unbreakable! I am, however, a damned good patient and I research the living hell out of everything until the facts scream for mercy.

Thank you so much! You two have eased my mind!!
Old 06-24-2010, 05:05 PM   #53
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
...So, no problems -- as long as you don't play with knives, or run with scissors...
Or play with new paper cutters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
...Yeah, I know it's a variant of Warfarin... But you are bigger than most rats - at least the four legged ones.
Uh, two two-legged rats have four legs... All seriousness aside, Warfarin works by decreasing your ability to coagulate blood. Enough of it, you bleed to death internally. The doses you will be receiving will be proportionately considerably less than what a rat will ingest.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:10 PM   #54
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
...I am not young and that is the real problem. Twenty years ago I woulda laughed this off...
What do you call "not young?" I'm 61 and consider anything under 50 to be young.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:01 PM   #55
Robertb

Not under 50

Quote:
What do you call "not young?" I'm 61 and consider anything under 50 to be young.
Dear Lady:

For five years at Astak I had everyone sure I was 42 years old at most. I am fortunate as I do not show age. I look very young.

But, reality shows in the temples gray hair when the dye fades out. I will not say exact but you and I are close!!

Remember the old saying: "Live fast, die young, and be a good looking corpse". I failed on the middle part.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:15 PM   #56
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I'm late to this, but all my best wishes to you Robert!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:15 PM   #57
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Dear Lady:

...I will not say exact...
Coward!
Old 06-25-2010, 04:57 PM   #58
Robertb

Hey, GA, thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I'm late to this, but all my best wishes to you Robert!
Dear GA:

Thank you!! After 6 months of pain, I am getting anxious to just get it over with. I have changed some life-threatening bad habits (smoking and gaining weight) and I feel the attitude is right.

The surgeon is a highly skilled and VERY caring man. How many surgeons honestly give a damn about their patient? Still, I think I disappointed him when he tried to scare me and I did not react. Little does he know he did catch my full attention!
Old 06-28-2010, 08:36 PM   #59
SmartyPants
Zealot
SmartyPants began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
i was on a blood-thinnning medication for a few months. No issues whatsoever apart from an occasional nose bleed. Which would stop on its own anyway.
Piece of cake Robert!
SmartyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:44 PM   #60
Robertb

Piece of Cake tastes sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartyPants View Post
i was on a blood-thinnning medication for a few months. No issues whatsoever apart from an occasional nose bleed. Which would stop on its own anyway.
Piece of cake Robert!
Hey there, Smarty!! Thank you. It seems like my fears about coumadin were somewhat unjustified. I really appreciate the post!! I can live with a nose bleed. No issues whatsoever is great to hear.

Maybe, just maybe, I can survive this and come back to raising more hell at Astak and being the prickly pear. i WANT THE BEST FOR THIS COMPANY... but someone needs to shake things up a little and keep them moving forward and listening!!