Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

View Poll Results: What features do you want on new devices (choose all that apply)
Wi-Fi 27 28.13%
3g 5 5.21%
6 inch (choose either 6 inch or nine inch) 49 51.04%
9 inch (choose either 6 inch or nine inch) 32 33.33%
Touch Screen 33 34.38%
Do NOT want Wi-Fi or 3G, hook to computer is fine 49 51.04%
hard keyboard (not on screen but on device body) 9 9.38%
soft keyboard (not on device body but on the screen) 34 35.42%
Choice of colors (red, green, blue, etc.) 30 31.25%
Fastest possible controller and processor (SPEED) 66 68.75%
Dictionary Support 59 61.46%
Hyperlinks 43 44.79%
Visible Clock (with its own battery) 28 29.17%
Quality crush-resistant case included 42 43.75%
Save me bucks and let me buy the case myself 28 29.17%
8,000 pages to a single charge (E-Ink) 69 71.88%
10-14 hours battery life and backlit is plenty 10 10.42%
Black and white Grade "A" screen 47 48.96%
Must have a color screen 8 8.33%
It must weigh under 10 ounces 41 42.71%
10 ounces to 1 pound is fine with me 20 20.83%
Over a pound will be just fine!! 1 1.04%
Sealed-in battery is just fine! 10 10.42%
Must be USER-Replaceable rechargeable battery 58 60.42%
SD card slot is absolutely critical to me 68 70.83%
No SD card slot 3 3.13%
Might be willing to pay only $150-$199 tops 34 35.42%
Might be willing to pay $200-$250 with features 29 30.21%
I need SIZE!! I am willing to pay $399+ for 9 inch 6 6.25%
I need a 9 inch that costs under $350 (less features) 14 14.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-17-2010, 12:55 PM   #31
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Robert
I keep seeing 2(+) different crowds responding here on MR

1) Academic use (Large touch screen, note taking, Dictionary, WiFi)

2) Just the books (E-Ink, TTS, Audio), Ma'm crowd (Catalog Navigation, Long Life battery, Lots of storage (types and loading options), Flexible formats...)

One size does NOT fit All.

The Academic niche looks fairly wide open for a dedicated (low cost, Big Screen) Textbook device. Currently only the DX appears in that area. (Does Astak even want to butt heads with King Kong?)

I belong to Group 2. My phone just make calls , My book reader (PEz), Just does Books , My computer does the other stuff

Can a I-phone/Droid user yak on the phone and read a document?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:28 PM   #32
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Maggie:

I will see what we can do. I agree that having book covers and real book titles would dress it up!!

Now, if the factory can just do this.

Bob
Is this something the factory has to do? Can't you hire a programmer/designer to do something like that? I know Astak is making lots of investments right now, but I think this would be a good one to make that would give an excellent return. When I'm showing off the device, eye candy would make a difference. People really respond to the book covers, and they are turned off by seeing a list of filenames rather than a list of proper titles.

Think simple and elegant. I'm not a big Apple person in general but aesthetics is one thing they get absolutely right.

I don't know if it's a Jinke thing, but some of the companies who are rebranding the Netronix readers are doing this. Look at Kobo and Bookeen--two companies rebranding basically the same reader, and with great look and feel to the firmware, each quite different from the other and from the factory firmware. (That being said--there are things I prefer on the EZReader firmware with regard to functionality--not having to endlessly scroll through menus, for one thing.)
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 05:34 PM   #33
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Fully agree... two definite camps

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Robert
I keep seeing 2(+) different crowds responding here on MR

1) Academic use (Large touch screen, note taking, Dictionary, WiFi)

2) Just the books (E-Ink, TTS, Audio), Ma'm crowd (Catalog Navigation, Long Life battery, Lots of storage (types and loading options), Flexible formats...)

One size does NOT fit All.

The Academic niche looks fairly wide open for a dedicated (low cost, Big Screen) Textbook device. Currently only the DX appears in that area. (Does Astak even want to butt heads with King Kong?)

I belong to Group 2. My phone just make calls , My book reader (PEz), Just does Books , My computer does the other stuff

Can a I-phone/Droid user yak on the phone and read a document?
Dear Duckey:

You hit it right on the head. It is two different camps and the only question is will the factories realize that. One model will NOT fit all. We need a Basic model and a PRO model.

I hear you and agree. But factories are really "I own it and I will make what I want". I do not agree with this and I do think that by listening they can make more profit AND please their customers.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:41 PM   #34
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maggie, your thought is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
Is this something the factory has to do? Can't you hire a programmer/designer to do something like that? I know Astak is making lots of investments right now, but I think this would be a good one to make that would give an excellent return. When I'm showing off the device, eye candy would make a difference. People really respond to the book covers, and they are turned off by seeing a list of filenames rather than a list of proper titles.

Think simple and elegant. I'm not a big Apple person in general but aesthetics is one thing they get absolutely right.

I don't know if it's a Jinke thing, but some of the companies who are rebranding the Netronix readers are doing this. Look at Kobo and Bookeen--two companies rebranding basically the same reader, and with great look and feel to the firmware, each quite different from the other and from the factory firmware. (That being said--there are things I prefer on the EZReader firmware with regard to functionality--not having to endlessly scroll through menus, for one thing.)
Dear Maggie:

Here is the problem. Right now, because of the competition, Astak makes nothing, to speak of, on selling devices.

Yes, in the real world (and eBook Readers are not real world) a company would make 20% at least on each sale. If putting covers and eye candy on there would double sales they would say: "Let's get this done". But double nothing is still nothing.

We ARE hiring our own engineers over in Taiwan. I do not know; but once that is done and they are trained we can ask them. Otherwise we have to beg and plead with the factory who IS making money.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:24 PM   #35
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Dear Maggie:

Here is the problem. Right now, because of the competition, Astak makes nothing, to speak of, on selling devices.

Yes, in the real world (and eBook Readers are not real world) a company would make 20% at least on each sale. If putting covers and eye candy on there would double sales they would say: "Let's get this done". But double nothing is still nothing.

We ARE hiring our own engineers over in Taiwan. I do not know; but once that is done and they are trained we can ask them. Otherwise we have to beg and plead with the factory who IS making money.
Point them towards the Buggins firmware as "proof" that it can be done without a major resource investment, but point out to them that a third party shouldn't be doing all this, since its a core of customers who DON'T go looking for hacked firmware (that's MOST customers) who needs to be satisfied here.

Of all the potential "firmware" features, I'd rate "pretty book covers instead of just file names" as a nice possible upgrade, but perhaps a hair less important than stuff like the ability to delete files (like the Buggins version has) or the simple ability to cut and paste book files between directories without the need for a computer (something Buggins version doesn't really do, since all he's really conquered is being able to copy and paste between the SD card and the internal memory). And maybe pie in the sky, an on-device hyperlinked sortable "catalog" (that's where thumbnailed "covers" might come in handy) and/or a search engine (there's no keyboard on the unit, but the number keys can be used for something like the T9 texting system people are used to on cell phones).

Certainly you can't promise us any of this, but if they need a direction overall point out that the competition (Kobo, Pocketbook, etc.) are doing some of this.

Last edited by Spiffy; 06-18-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2010, 03:12 AM   #36
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Good poll, voted!
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:48 AM   #37
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
One feature I've found I will need is the ability to zoom in on images (especially PDFs), expanding them to the width of the device window (or more to eliminate excessive margins). Without zoom, a reader will be worthless to me.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:40 AM   #38
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
As I already have a 6 inch reader that is perfect for reading fiction, my answers to this poll are based on my need for a larger reader that I would mostly use for academic reading. The most important features to me are great rendering of PDFs (especially very large files, scans, etc.), zoom, dictionaries, an e-ink (or e-paper) screen, and the ability to mark up documents. Anything else is gravy for me. One thing that I feel is missing from the poll is what sort of files users would want the reader to read - djvu, doc, html, etc.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:57 AM   #39
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Bluetooth IS good

I haven't mentioned it over at the Kobo threads, so you heard it first here:

Bluetooth can also give you a cheap remote control option as well as downloads from your computer. This would be useful not only for lazy people, but also for for people working out in exercise bikes or treadmills, and, much more important, for disabled people. The could have the reader mounted conveniently for viewing and the remote at their finger tips - or eyebrow, if that's their best control option. That kind of thing has been a particular burr of mine ever since I worked at a hospital/research centre for children many years ago.

In a related vein, I should point out that you don't need a touch screen to have a soft keyboard. It is quite feasible to use any single or multi-button control to select items from a screen. We wrote a research paper twenty-five (!) years ago on the subject. I have no idea now where it got published, but I still have a few paper copies around somewhere.

It wouldn't be the first time that making something accessible for disabled people made it more useful for the larger population...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:30 PM   #40
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
Another "feature" that is highly desirable is the ability to charge the the unit while using it. Sony has the right idea here where you can just plug an DC supply in and continue. It also charges much faster than using a USB port.

Cheers
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:44 AM   #41
SaraD
Groupie
SaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with others

Device: Sony 650, Basic Kindle 7th generation
Quote:
Dear SaraD:

First off, thank you. You did a great job and your thoughts are good.

On a separate thread on here, several users have found warranty programs that will cover even a broken screen. They seem to report the cost is quite reasonable and they cover everything. Scroll down through the threads and you should find it easily. It is called Squaresomething.

Yes, a broken screen is a worry... but so is being hit by lightning. I think, of all the units we have sold in three models totaled together... less than ten had a broken screen. The standard case that comes with the Pocket PRO does a great job of protecting the screen. You can also opt for a Stylz case. That has a third flap that is beveled to exactly fit the screen. I have that and feel it is ideal on protection and you get glove-soft leather to boot in about five colors. I think itis still $24.99.

There is no way to ruggedize the screen itself that I know. Regarding Touch Screen. the Sony uses what is known as "Over the E-Ink " technology. The plastic touch goes over the E-Ink thus cutting resolution significantly. "Under the E-Ink" is coming and that will not lower the resolution. That is what I hope to see us move to. Keep in mind that "Touch" can add $80-$90 to the selling price. That is a big jump!
Thank you for the reference, Robert. I went back and re-read the thread about Squaretrade. It looks very promising. I must have skimmed it too quickly the first time I read it.

I have a few questions about the broken screen numbers you mentioned, but I do not want to go off-topic so I will send those as a private message.

No, there is no way to ruggedize a piece of glass. But I keep hoping that somebody is going to come up with a plastic screen that is much more durable or a glass screen that is much less expensive and drops the costs. Or maybe I am finally going to have to give that up as being too far into the future. I will watch for your next poll / thread to specifically discuss touch screen options. I just hope that there is a basic touch screen option instead of that being the dividing line to add 3G, etc. I will have to make a decision by the end of this year as I have started checking out e-books from the library and cannot be tied to my PC this much.

The poll is up to 82 participants now.
SaraD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:51 AM   #42
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Dear Duckey:

You hit it right on the head. It is two different camps and the only question is will the factories realize that. One model will NOT fit all. We need a Basic model and a PRO model.
I'm not so sure that there are really 2 different camps divided as suggested. For example, I want a 9-inch reader but I'm definitely not in the academic camp. I want the larger screen so I can subscribe to my newspapers and magazines' electronic versions -- not RSS feeds but essentially duplicates of the print version -- and so I can more easily read nonfiction that incoporates a lot of images (I'm so tired of not being able to read, for example, an author's map or of being able to see the detail in a Ming vase photograph).

I do not consider 9 inches too large for fiction reading. Granted, at 9 inches the device would be more cumbersome to transport than my 6-inch Sony, if ease of transportation was my #1 concern, I would look at a 5-inch or smaller device.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:41 AM   #43
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I'm not so sure that there are really 2 different camps divided as suggested. For example, I want a 9-inch reader but I'm definitely not in the academic camp. I want the larger screen so I can subscribe to my newspapers and magazines' electronic versions -- not RSS feeds but essentially duplicates of the print version -- and so I can more easily read nonfiction that incoporates a lot of images (I'm so tired of not being able to read, for example, an author's map or of being able to see the detail in a Ming vase photograph).

I do not consider 9 inches too large for fiction reading. Granted, at 9 inches the device would be more cumbersome to transport than my 6-inch Sony, if ease of transportation was my #1 concern, I would look at a 5-inch or smaller device.
I see people on Transit reading Hard bound books all the time.

That would be equal to a stack of 3 @ 9" screen e-readers.
There are "Rugged" laptops and Cell phones. That feature doubles to triples the weight.
Large touchscreens more than doubles the cost of the display (LCD) and add an exponential malfunction level

Magazines and Newspapers are still being presented in the "Print" configuration".
Go visit some TV news Web pages. They are designed for a computer screen (landscape).
When the Web first got started, COLOR 15" monitors were the "current standard", there were still many users with 12"-14", Some even Mono-chrome.
Today, 20" Widescreen.
Tomorrow. 3-D?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:31 PM   #44
Robertb

Formats end users would read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
As I already have a 6 inch reader that is perfect for reading fiction, my answers to this poll are based on my need for a larger reader that I would mostly use for academic reading. The most important features to me are great rendering of PDFs (especially very large files, scans, etc.), zoom, dictionaries, an e-ink (or e-paper) screen, and the ability to mark up documents. Anything else is gravy for me. One thing that I feel is missing from the poll is what sort of files users would want the reader to read - djvu, doc, html, etc.
Dear LatinandGreek:

The reason we did not put favorite reading formats on the poll is that all of our devices have at least 20 formats already on them and we do add via firmware upgrades. However, on this forum, so many people seem to convert anyway that format is not so much a major thing to this crowd. We will maintain as many as we can get the factory to put on.

Your point is good; but we almost consider the Astak as the tops in available formats and it seems to be less of a point now.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:07 PM   #45
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumbles View Post
Another "feature" that is highly desirable is the ability to charge the the unit while using it. Sony has the right idea here where you can just plug an DC supply in and continue. It also charges much faster than using a USB port.

Cheers
You can do that, at least with the Pocket Pro (I did it just the other night when I was right at the good part of a book and got the "low battery" warning). The reader comes with a USB power plug so you can plug directly into an electrical outlet and keep reading.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote