Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-19-2023, 10:48 PM   #61
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Just shut up and read!
Wow
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 08:47 AM   #62
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Wow
You can do what you like, but I think it's a great waste of time for people to CONSTANTLY look around for something to complain and worry about, especially when you have NO control over it. Life is way too short for that.

Enjoy the life you have and take every advantage of what is available to you now, because worry about something that hasn't happened yet, but might happen just leads to high blood pressure and stress that YOU caused for yourself!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2023, 09:24 AM   #63
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
While I'm not typically a fan of the "shut up and dribble" mentality, I do find myself fascinated by the number of non-publisher, non-author, non-legal-type readers who get caught up in the legalities and practices (or monopolistic tendencies) of bookselling and/or corporate publishing. I couldn't even tell anyone the publishers of my favorite books/authors (or even who I might have purchased many of them from). Nor could I tell you any of the business practices (legal or shady) of the manufacturers and sellers of my toothpaste or laundry detergent.

I find Amazon very useful, personally. I'm happy to let the authorities worry about whether or not they're breaking the law in order to be useful to me. I only hope their decisions don't complicate shopping practices I've become very comfortable with.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 10:01 AM   #64
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Agree with all that. A lot of the arguments are "strawman" and eventually if a Corporation goes too far the legal processes do kick in.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 10:52 AM   #65
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
While I'm not typically a fan of the "shut up and dribble" mentality, I do find myself fascinated by the number of non-publisher, non-author, non-legal-type readers who get caught up in the legalities and practices (or monopolistic tendencies) of bookselling and/or corporate publishing. I couldn't even tell anyone the publishers of my favorite books/authors (or even who I might have purchased many of them from). Nor could I tell you any of the business practices (legal or shady) of the manufacturers and sellers of my toothpaste or laundry detergent.
On the other hand, it is something to discuss that does relate to the purpose of this site. What's wrong with talking?

Quote:
I find Amazon very useful, personally. I'm happy to let the authorities worry about whether or not they're breaking the law in order to be useful to me. I only hope their decisions don't complicate shopping practices I've become very comfortable with.
Aside from ebooks, Amazon is kinda like an internet junk drawer for me.

Things I really want or need (a new computer, furniture, etc.), I still tend to go out to stores. But some random junk (air filters, a pair of Crocs, some compression packing bags) Amazon is a kind of handy one stop shop.

They do a good job. But then they also do highly suspect things. I'm glad they exist, but don't feel the need to defend them from criticism.
Advert
Old 08-21-2023, 10:57 AM   #66
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
On the other hand, it is something to discuss that does relate to the purpose of this site. What's wrong with talking?
Nothing. That's why I mentioned that I'm 'fascinated" by people wanting to talk about it. Not "aggravated and wish they would stop".
Old 08-21-2023, 11:03 AM   #67
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Nothing. That's why I mentioned that I'm 'fascinated" by people wanting to talk about it. Not "aggravated and wish they would stop".
I guess. You do tend to opine a lot and reliably about stuff that you claim you are not interested in.
Old 08-21-2023, 11:19 AM   #68
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

Aside from ebooks, Amazon is kinda like an internet junk drawer for me.

Things I really want or need (a new computer, furniture, etc.), I still tend to go out to stores. But some random junk (air filters, a pair of Crocs, some compression packing bags) Amazon is a kind of handy one stop shop.

Time to sidetrack the thread ...

I see what you are saying, but I have different junk in my draw, and Amazon is probably a lot more helpful on most of my purchases then B&M.

Computers I would want to do a lot of research on, and going to a store wouldn't be very helpful.

Furniture - for some, stores are better, for others, Amazon.

Golf clubs - I would probably go B&M, although I did buy my last club online (not from Amazon)

Etc.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 11:21 AM   #69
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I guess. You do tend to opine a lot and reliably about stuff that you claim you are not interested in.
Ah.. so you want to take me to task over stuff I haven't actually said today. You'll have to carry on without me, then.
Old 08-21-2023, 11:44 AM   #70
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post

I see what you are saying, but I have different junk in my draw, and Amazon is probably a lot more helpful on most of my purchases then B&M.

Computers I would want to do a lot of research on, and going to a store wouldn't be very helpful.

Furniture - for some, stores are better, for others, Amazon.

Golf clubs - I would probably go B&M, although I did buy my last club online (not from Amazon)

Etc.
Yeah, I don't begrudge you.

Computers, if you are buying something brand name, a Microsoft Surface or an Apple iThingie you are fine. But eh, I just like to go in, see the thing and purchase on the spot.

Furniture, I just imagine getting a bunch of fibreboard stuff that crumbles as you build it. And I buy furniture at Ikea. But at least there;s recourse for problems.
Old 08-21-2023, 11:45 AM   #71
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Ah.. so you want to take me to task over stuff I haven't actually said today. You'll have to carry on without me, then.
You could just admit you do find the conversation interesting enough to engage in instead of the usual participating while asking why anyone cares
Old 08-21-2023, 09:32 PM   #72
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post

Computers . . .

Etc.
Amazon's market share in both paper and eBooks is much higher than the percent of Amazon revenue coming from books. So from a reader perspective, there's a danger the antitrust action will be based on analysis of bigger dollar items -- everything except literature -- and have a bad effect on same.

From a reader perspective, I don't now see how a broken up Amazon would be an improvement. However, I hope to have an open mind once there are concrete proposals.

As to whether there is some moral value to discussing this here, probably not. But maybe there is. Maybe some idea from here will percolate up to people who will make the antitrust decisions. Stranger things have happened, but don't push me to come up with an example
SteveEisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 06:17 AM   #73
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Amazon's market share ...

From a reader perspective, ...

As to whether there is some moral value to discussing this here, ...
I find Amazon to be a convenient way to shop for many items that would otherwise would require "trips" to to places.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 10:28 AM   #74
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
As to whether there is some moral value to discussing this here, probably not. But maybe there is. Maybe some idea from here will percolate up to people who will make the antitrust decisions. Stranger things have happened, but don't push me to come up with an example
Why would there need to be a moral value to such a discussion?