Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-19-2023, 09:30 AM   #61
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Topic, please.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 10:45 AM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
How about when the book title at Amazon contains a description?

The Girl Who Sat On A Tuffet: An unputdownable domestic crime thriller with a shocking twist that will leave you breathless

I understand why lesser known authors do it. But I still don't like it.
I don't like that either. I also don't like when some books add A Novel. I'm not stupid and I know what a novel is.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-21-2023 at 01:53 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2023, 10:51 AM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One thing that's a real problem on Goodreads is that before a book is released, there is an entry and all these comments/reviews/ratings that are worthless. It takes too long for a new book to have this garbage replaced with either proper reviews or removed and properly rated and more people to red the book and help fix the mess.

This could easily be sorted by the staff at Goodreads do not care about data accuracy.

I could post reviews done by AI and the staff would not care.
Old 08-21-2023, 11:14 AM   #64
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't like that either. I also don't live when some books add A Novel. I'm not stupid and I know what a novel is.
The only time this makes sense is when the author is well known for writing non-fiction on the same topic as the novel.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 11:23 AM   #65
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
The British Journal of Educational Technology published a study on how gamification can help turn kids into readers in 2020. I am sure there are more, but this was the most cited article I saw on my quick drive-by of the research engines I still have access to.

I think the bottom line is that challenges, book counts, goals, and spreadsheets, no matter where they are accessed are sort of a "get out of it what you put into it" schema for many.

If you know that the carrot of that little number ticking up is going to decrease your quality of reading, then sure, don't use them. But some people prefer to lower a number and state the intention of more quality. I know some here have in our various reading lists and challenges.

Don't get me wrong, I like very little of what remains of Goodreads post Amazon takeover, but I'm not going to yuck someone's yum if it helps them read more.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2023, 01:34 PM   #66
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The best thing for kids being readers, or not, sadly is if the parents are. A book-free house mostly results the next generation being book free. Yet our library in most deprived area has only one staffer, so no kids without adults, and it's only open weekdays & office hours!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 01:53 PM   #67
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The best thing for kids being readers, or not, sadly is if the parents are.
Not sure about that. My parents weren't readers, but they bought a lot of books, both adult and kid ones. And yes, I was an avid reader since I was 3 years old. But their granddaughters (my nieces) grew up in the same house, with the same books (plus newer ones I and occasionally my sister bought) and they had no interest in reading at all. Not when they were kids and not when they were adults. So a home filled with books and the presence of other readers is apparently not enough to make one a reader.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 01:54 PM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
The only time this makes sense is when the author is well known for writing non-fiction on the same topic as the novel.
What authors have written both fiction and non-fiction on the same subject?
Old 08-21-2023, 01:57 PM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The best thing for kids being readers, or not, sadly is if the parents are. A book-free house mostly results the next generation being book free. Yet our library in most deprived area has only one staffer, so no kids without adults, and it's only open weekdays & office hours!
My father read the newspaper and some magazines. My mother read books. My sister also read books. I read books ahead of my age.
Old 08-21-2023, 02:05 PM   #70
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I read books ahead of my age.
Like right out of the womb or something? Tolstoy at four? What?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 02:55 PM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Like right out of the womb or something? Tolstoy at four? What?
Books at an adult level when I was not yet a teen. The first "classics" that I read were H. G. Wells books.
Old 08-21-2023, 03:04 PM   #72
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Peter Benchley
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 04:10 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Peter Benchley
The novel White Shark was soon renamed to Creature as to not case confusion.

Other then that, that's it.
Old 08-21-2023, 04:17 PM   #74
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Maybe almost same subject: Len Deighton, Michael Scott.
But one reason to use a pen name.
Old 08-21-2023, 04:34 PM   #75
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Books at an adult level when I was not yet a teen. The first "classics" that I read were H. G. Wells books.
Lots of kids in very booky households read books for adults when they are 9 to 15 yo. Some younger.
Some kids also learn to read very early (Hyperlexia). Only some are autistic (many are otherwise normal), but it might be more common with autism.
Hyperlexia is really just a catch-all label for anyone reading competently before age 5 and youngest seems to be slightly younger than two. It could be a more common ability than detected as most kids under 5 might not have the environment.

It used to be simply called being precocious.
Quote:
Mozart showed prodigious ability from his earliest childhood. Already competent on keyboard and violin, he composed from the age of five and performed before European royalty.
Reading ability need have no connection to spelling ability as competent reading in the west isn't much different to Chinese reading. You recognise the word, you aren't reading the letters and deciding what word it makes. Hence early readers or keen readers living in certain backgrounds may poor spellings and no idea of pronunciation of words they don't encounter orally. This one reason why language courses start with the spoken language.