Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-12-2023, 05:28 PM   #31
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I was too. But, for me, having that counter made me gravitate towards shorter books.
Yeah I have noticed that some people manage to read hundreds of books in a year. I read books that appeal to me regardless of length. I also read some of the multi books (like 5 in one volume) which only counts as one book.

Anyway, now that I have developed regular habits, I don’t really pay attention to Goodreads anymore. I don’t think I’ve logged any books that I have read outside Kindle, for weeks.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 01:07 PM   #32
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Anyway, now that I have developed regular habits, I don’t really pay attention to Goodreads anymore. I don’t think I’ve logged any books that I have read outside Kindle, for weeks.
I log my books, so I have reading dates. I just don't participate in any challenge that has numbered goals.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2023, 07:08 PM   #33
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Another interesting twist on "Goodreads listing unpublished books". So glad I dumped it many years ago
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fa9a721b0d9422ba.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	203160  
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 08:18 PM   #34
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A YouTube guy that I like just posted this today:
Old 08-14-2023, 04:13 AM   #35
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
An author can't get anything they posted (like a cover before release that's never used) removed from Goodreads, never mind what anyone else posts.

Also Goodreads won't fix user generated errors such as listing an illustrator as an author.

Last edited by Quoth; 08-14-2023 at 04:19 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2023, 05:03 AM   #36
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Also Goodreads won't fix user generated errors such as listing an illustrator as an author.
Cannot a librarian do that if it's requested?
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 06:23 AM   #37
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Cannot a librarian do that if it's requested?
I presume a Goodreads administrator aka "librarian" could do it, but they refuse.

Similarly it's hard to impossible to get Amazon to take down a page of a withdrawn book.
Old 08-14-2023, 07:51 AM   #38
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I presume a Goodreads administrator aka "librarian" could do it, but they refuse.

Similarly it's hard to impossible to get Amazon to take down a page of a withdrawn book.
They refuse to change from author to illustrator? Curious, I'l have to check the policies (I'm a librarian, not an administrator, a totally different beast).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 09:01 AM   #39
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Junior Administrator?

I know they call them librarians. But it's not a library.

I've given up on Goodreads, sorry.
Old 08-14-2023, 10:43 AM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One thing I really dislike is when the book blurbs have review junk in them. That's not part of a blurb.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 09:59 AM   #41
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One thing I really dislike is when the book blurbs have review junk in them. That's not part of a blurb.
A lot of that was due to Amazon actually. Years ago they were merging their metadata or whatever over from their site, so many books had their blurbs auto-replaced, and I remember the librarians trying to catch and fix what they could. That's why you still randomly find an old book that says 1.99 used or something as its blurb

Sometimes review bits in there are intentional, but not always.

I agree it's annoying too though
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 11:27 AM   #42
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And now all of it as a subtitle in the title field and the filename. Crazy.
Old 08-18-2023, 12:25 PM   #43
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yes, actually. In my childhood it was common for kids as young as 9-10 to move around alone and visit the stores. In the Soviet Union the selection in stores was not comparable to that in the West and prices were dirt cheap, so yeah, kids did buy books, candy and icecream for the money their parents gave them for such things. Of course, my parents still bought most of our books.
In Montana, when I was 12, my brothers (a twin and and a brother 2 years younger) used to hitchhike into Great Falls, about 24 miles away. Sometimes we would ride our bikes and then ride all over town. Back then we didn't see anything unusual about it. When my kids were that age I would have never let them do that – it definitely would have been too dangerous.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 12:46 PM   #44
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
When my kids were that age I would have never let them do that – it definitely would have been too dangerous.
Of course, I don't know the time frame you are discussing for you or your kids.

But the perception that things are more dangerous now than they were in the sixties, seventies or eighties is false. If anything, we are safer now than we ever have been.

It's sensationalism in the news and John Walsh's promotion of the Adam Walsh story that makes us think things are more dangerous now.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 08-18-2023 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-18-2023, 12:56 PM   #45
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Of course, I don't know the time frame you are discussing for you or your kids.

But the perception that things are more dangerous now than they were in the sixties, seventies or eighties is false. If anything, we are safer now than we ever have been.

It's sensationalism in the news and John Walsh's promotion of the Adam Walsh story that makes us think things are more dangerous now.
As to crime, perhaps you're right; but traffic is definitely ten times as dangerous now as it was in my childhood. It may have been different in the US, but people behind the Iron Curtain had a lot fewer cars back then and the cars themselves (mostly Russian brands) were a lot slower.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote