Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-07-2023, 12:53 AM   #1
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
On Goodreads: The Gamification of Reading Is Changing How We Approach Books

Just read an interesting article on Goodreads as a platform and what effect it is having on reading in general: The Gamification of Reading Is Changing How We Approach Books

I found the article pretty level, citing positives and negatives. The review bombing of the Elizabeth Gilbert book was brought up.

And for those arguing that Goodreads should not allow reviews for books that have not yet been published, there's this:
Quote:
“It’s become common practice to put a lot of energy into garnering reviews on Goodreads pre-publication so that the book is launched with a boost,” says Smith Publicity’s Olivia McCoy. “Reader reviews have a tremendous impact on purchasing behaviors from other readers and from bookstores.”
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 03:23 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Just read an interesting article on Goodreads as a platform and what effect it is having on reading in general: The Gamification of Reading Is Changing How We Approach Books

I found the article pretty level, citing positives and negatives.
Like you, I found that to be mostly a fairly good article. The author does head down a bit of a weird binary rabbithole toward the end, though:

"I don’t want to lose the experience of reading a book I’d never heard of but found on a stoop, or rereading a book even if it doesn’t count toward an annual goal."

There's nothing about logging your reading on Goodreads or participating in the annual GR challenge that is incompatible with either of those things. You can make re-reads count for your challenge, or not care about your challenge not being 'optimised', and obviously you are not limited to GR for your book discovery either.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2023, 06:09 AM   #3
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

And for those arguing that Goodreads should not allow reviews for books that have not yet been published, there's this:

I have no problem with those (ARCs, I'm guessing) but allowing reviews for books that haven't even been written should not happen, imo.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 07:39 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
"How we approach books". Eh. I don't use any social media, including Goodreads, and my approach to books and reading is still exactly the same as it was 30 years ago. Nothing's changed except for using an ereader and ebooks instead of paper.

As to gamification being an incentive, not for me. Nothing puts me off an activity faster than gamification. I hate games, competition and comparing myself to other people with a passion. That's why I can't stand social media, which is ultimately comparing your life to that of others. No thanks.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 08:49 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
"How we approach books". Eh. I don't use any social media, including Goodreads, and my approach to books and reading is still exactly the same as it was 30 years ago. Nothing's changed except for using an ereader and ebooks instead of paper.
I've been a member of Goodreads for many years, and my approach to books and reading is still exactly the same as it was 40+ years ago. Nothing's changed except for using an ereader and ebooks (and some audiobooks), instead of paper.

My approach to finding books has adapted/evolved continually in that time. But moderate to heavy utilization of social media has not changed my approach to books and reading one bit.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2023, 08:57 AM   #6
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Gamification of reading is nothing new. Accelerated Reader was rolled out to American public schools almost 25 years ago, and from day one teachers expressed some concern that children were reading books strictly for points rather than for learning or enjoyment.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 09:04 AM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
My approach to finding books has adapted/evolved continually in that time.
Not mine. I still use the same method as I've used all my life - browsing bookstores by myself. I need or want nothing else to find my reading material.
Old 08-07-2023, 09:41 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Not mine. I still use the same method as I've used all my life - browsing bookstores by myself. I need or want nothing else to find my reading material.
You were browsing bookstores by yourself at 9-11 yrs? Wow!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 10:24 AM   #9
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
Gamification of reading is nothing new. Accelerated Reader was rolled out to American public schools almost 25 years ago, and from day one teachers expressed some concern that children were reading books strictly for points rather than for learning or enjoyment.
It was a little chicken and egg for me. I know my school had a program that rewarded reading with free pizza vouchers, but I really don't remember if I was already reading that much or if it built me into the habit.

I know gamification works some in kids who "don't like" to read, etc.

I have kept meticulous lists and spreadsheets of my reading for years, and I always set goals. But I am not gaming against myself, merely trying to steer the stream of my reading. The amount of water in it has always been the same though.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 10:59 AM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
The author does head down a bit of a weird binary rabbithole toward the end, though:

"I don’t want to lose the experience of reading a book I’d never heard of but found on a stoop, or rereading a book even if it doesn’t count toward an annual goal."

There's nothing about logging your reading on Goodreads or participating in the annual GR challenge that is incompatible with either of those things...
But I'm sure for some people, including the author, find the 'social challenge' aspects too tempting.

For a couple of years, I participated in the Goodreads Reading Challenge. But I found myself paying too much attention to book length in order to increase my numbers, so I stopped.

I like reading challenges like astrangerhere's Storygraph reading challenge. I think of it as a sort of organized reading list for the year.
Old 08-07-2023, 11:01 AM   #11
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
Accelerated Reader was rolled out to American public schools almost 25 years ago, and from day one teachers expressed some concern that children were reading books strictly for points rather than for learning or enjoyment.
Better the kids are reading for the points than not reading at all.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 08-07-2023 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-07-2023, 11:45 AM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You were browsing bookstores by yourself at 9-11 yrs? Wow!
Yes, actually. In my childhood it was common for kids as young as 9-10 to move around alone and visit the stores. In the Soviet Union the selection in stores was not comparable to that in the West and prices were dirt cheap, so yeah, kids did buy books, candy and icecream for the money their parents gave them for such things. Of course, my parents still bought most of our books.
Old 08-07-2023, 11:59 AM   #13
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
As to gamification being an incentive, not for me. Nothing puts me off an activity faster than gamification. I hate games, competition and comparing myself to other people with a passion. That's why I can't stand social media, which is ultimately comparing your life to that of others. No thanks.
There's nothing competitive about the GR challenge. You set yourself a target, then you either meet it or you don't. There are zero external consequences or rewards.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 12:10 PM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
There's nothing competitive about the GR challenge. You set yourself a target, then you either meet it or you don't. There are zero external consequences or rewards.
Ah, I thought the targets are shared or something. Still, for me challenge is basically the same as competition. I never, ever set myself goals or targets in anything. That feeling of pressure/duty takes any enjoyment out of the activity for me.
Old 08-07-2023, 12:36 PM   #15
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Ah, I thought the targets are shared or something.
They are shared in that they are available for others to see. But the primary incentive is your own.

Quote:
That feeling of pressure/duty takes any enjoyment out of the activity for me.
I'm finding that is true for me as well.