Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-01-2023, 01:17 PM   #1
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Dasung releasing a 23" colour eink monitor

Looks good from the video embedded in the article but I'd have to see one in real life to believe it.

https://www.cnx-software.com/2023/07...e-ink-monitor/

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 03:42 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I've a 23.5″ LG monitor. Almost like paper with brightness and contrast adjusted. No reflections. UHD 4K, no flicker or ghosting. Perfect video in a window or full screen.

The Kaleido 3 is only 4096 colours (vs over 16Million on LG) at ordinary eink refresh rates. It's about 8 colours at nearly video refresh rates (really 1902 film frame rates). Resolution is 3000 x 1800.

The LG 24UD58-B is 3840 x 2160, VESA 100, 1000:1 contrast, 178° view angle, Freesync, IPS and 5ms response time. Doesn't need subpixel addressing, I have it on greyscale antialiasing, thus the text quality is superb with no coloured fringing.

No banding or tearing pointing an HD camera at the screen running 60fps progressive video and the camera at 25, 30, 50 or 60 fps HD modes.

Quote:
… such an E-Ink display should really help with eye strain compared to a traditional display
I'd bet my LG is lower eye strain than this Kaleido 3 monitor which would need high ambient light and is useless for photo-editing. I can work from 8 am to 10 pm on it.

Certainly there are loads of poor monitors, ones with glossy surfaces, or that don't adjust well, or only HD or QHD at that size panel, or not IPS (poor viewing angle), or terrible backlights. Maybe ten years ago there was a market for this, but not now. I paid £215.81 including Irish VAT. I expect this Dasung to be €2000+ landed in Ireland.

I'd not need the 10.3″ mono eink if there was a tablet with as good a screen. But for ordinary ambient light and reading novels the Sage is still better due to portability.

Last edited by Quoth; 08-01-2023 at 03:44 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2023, 03:08 AM   #3
Huyggy
Zealot
Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Onyx Max 3 & Onyx Lumi 2
I'd rather have a whiter screen than a color one.
I don't want "frontlight" monitor to hide the fact that epaper is still so greyish compared to true paper.
Huyggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 05:01 AM   #4
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I've a 23.5″ LG monitor. Almost like paper with brightness and contrast adjusted. No reflections. UHD 4K, no flicker or ghosting. Perfect video in a window or full screen.

The Kaleido 3 is only 4096 colours (vs over 16Million on LG) at ordinary eink refresh rates. It's about 8 colours at nearly video refresh rates (really 1902 film frame rates). Resolution is 3000 x 1800.

The LG 24UD58-B is 3840 x 2160, VESA 100, 1000:1 contrast, 178° view angle, Freesync, IPS and 5ms response time. Doesn't need subpixel addressing, I have it on greyscale antialiasing, thus the text quality is superb with no coloured fringing.

No banding or tearing pointing an HD camera at the screen running 60fps progressive video and the camera at 25, 30, 50 or 60 fps HD modes.

I'd bet my LG is lower eye strain than this Kaleido 3 monitor which would need high ambient light and is useless for photo-editing. I can work from 8 am to 10 pm on it.

Certainly there are loads of poor monitors, ones with glossy surfaces, or that don't adjust well, or only HD or QHD at that size panel, or not IPS (poor viewing angle), or terrible backlights. Maybe ten years ago there was a market for this, but not now. I paid £215.81 including Irish VAT. I expect this Dasung to be €2000+ landed in Ireland.

I'd not need the 10.3″ mono eink if there was a tablet with as good a screen. But for ordinary ambient light and reading novels the Sage is still better due to portability.
Yea, I have to wonder about the use case of an e-ink monitor for a computer. Maybe fine for word processing. I use a 27" 4K Dell monitor. Frequently at work, I'll have a couple of windows open, maybe a Teams meeting, and them email or something I'm working on. An e-ink just wouldn't cut it.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 03:19 PM   #5
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
The color doesn't look bad, but a desktop uses more scrolling than an ereader.

For a long time I've stuck to 96 DPI for desktop and 300 DPI for ereaders.
My latest iteration is 2560 x 1080 29" (at 96 DPI).
That's the same height as my old 1920 x 1080 23" (at 96 DPI).
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2023, 02:01 PM   #6
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
This is a very good device for people with severe eyestrain. Sure nowadays good monitors are better than the ones 15 years old, but still some of us can't handle them.

Besides having eyestrain problems or not, Kaleido 3 offers a good contrast colour and an improved dpi from previous versions. I would love to have this monitor, but I can't afford that price.

Hope eInk releases soon the Kaleido 4 (I have no news yet, but will come one day) and Dasung and other companies continues pushing the eInk world farther.
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote