Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-28-2023, 05:13 AM   #46
Connoisseur
305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boox Leaf 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
They are called Advance Readers Copies. There's a single good reason.
Yes but I mean in cases where a book is announced before it has even been written. By the time advance copies are out the book is already in a state to be reviewed I should think but there is no good reason to make reviews available for a book that the author is still working on.
305869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 05:26 AM   #47
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 305869 View Post
Yes but I mean in cases where a book is announced before it has even been written. By the time advance copies are out the book is already in a state to be reviewed I should think but there is no good reason to make reviews available for a book that the author is still working on.
And how do you check if there is an ARC copy in the market so review should be allowed or it's a glint in the author's eye that is information about new books in the series? Who knows the information? Do every publisher/author contact goodread to say: Put the check that review is allowed? That is not doable or practical.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2023, 07:30 AM   #48
Connoisseur
305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boox Leaf 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
And how do you check if there is an ARC copy in the market so review should be allowed or it's a glint in the author's eye that is information about new books in the series? Who knows the information? Do every publisher/author contact goodread to say: Put the check that review is allowed? That is not doable or practical.
It should not be in the database at all if it's not already in the final stages and starting to be distributed soon imo. The book should exist before being listed in any review site.
305869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 08:07 AM   #49
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I really like GR's "compare books" function. It quickly tells me how my tastes line up with others.
This relates to my pet peeve about GR; nothing to be done about it, alas.

I used to like/find useful the "compare books" function, but much less so now. Unfortunately, it includes a user's WTR books and this can reach stratospheric levels. I have one GR friend whose WTR list is over 10,000 books! Lists routinely are in four figures and high three figures is a doddle, it seems. It results in a book comparison (which is limited to 100 books) which can be all or virtually all WTR books. Which tells me nothing at all, especially when no discrimination has been shone in adding the books in the first place. I really wish they'd limit the comparison to books that have been rated, which seems only common sense to me.

Full disclosure: my GR WTR list is currently at 55 books; one of my goals for this year is to get that back below 50. Either reading a book or purging it on the acknowledgment that it's sufficiently low priority that it's not happening anytime soon works.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 08:57 AM   #50
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
It should not be in the database at all if it's not already in the final stages and starting to be distributed soon imo. The book should exist before being listed in any review site.
I totally disagree! I have books in my list for December and January! It's my goto place for finding future books. With your approach, it would be like going to the bookshop to see the recently pusblished books.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2023, 09:08 AM   #51
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
I can't think of a single good reason to allow reviews on a book before it's been published.
A lot of readers get ARCs from authors and publishers. Authors are hoping to get reviews up on Goodreads before the book comes out to generate word of mouth. Early reviews help other readers know whether (or not) they might want to preorder those books. (Preorders are important to authors for various reasons.)
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 09:14 AM   #52
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
This is something else I se A LOT on Twitter - truly savage, vitriolic attacks by authors on anyone who dares post anything less than a 5 star review. Bizarre
The author who attacked someone for a very positive four-star review was ... something else entirely. She even made Gizmodo.

I can (sort of) understand review bombing in a case like that. OTOH there's no need for 651 one-star reviews when a dozen or so would make the same case. (Also, what happened to simply creating Goodreads shelves with names like "Author-Attacks-Reviewers" and putting the book on that?)
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 11:34 AM   #53
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
(ARCs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
But Goodreads isn't the place for those or any review other than regular bought/borrowed copy after release..
Absolute nonsense.

Signed, someone who has for many years reviewed ARCs on goodreads
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 12:25 PM   #54
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Jumping in with a quick funny...when I use Speak Screen on my iPhone to read me a book, the author's blurb often mentions Goodreads. But Siri pronounces it "Good-rids."

Jumping back out now...
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 01:29 PM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
(ARCs)

Absolute nonsense.

Signed, someone who has for many years reviewed ARCs on goodreads
IMHO, there should be entries just for ARCs and only reviews of ARCs allowed.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 11:31 AM   #56
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
What the ?
I just went to GR (not a member) and looked at a book with a release date of 1 Jul 2023 and only Kindle listed as formats.
How can this be?
Quote:
1,761 people are currently reading
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 11:38 AM   #57
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
What the ?
I just went to GR (not a member) and looked at a book with a release date of 1 Jul 2023 and only Kindle listed as formats.
How can this be?
People who've pre-bought it and plan to read it immediately once it lands and for their own purposes it's most useful to have it on their currently reading list?

Why not? I can come up with other scenarios.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 11:43 AM   #58
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
People who've pre-bought it and plan to read it immediately once it lands and for their own purposes it's most useful to have it on their currently reading list?

Why not? I can come up with other scenarios.
Yep, I've got fifteen or so books on my GR 'currently reading' list right now, for reasons that aren't anyone's business but mine. Why would anyone else care about that tag?

(I am now, however, curious as to what upcoming popular book is releasing on a Saturday!)

Last edited by meeera; 06-29-2023 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-29-2023, 11:52 AM   #59
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Yep, I've got nine or ten books on my GR 'currently reading' list right now, for reasons that aren't anyone's business but mine. Why would anyone else care about that tag?
I don't care Why you have the book.

To me there is a dif between TBR list (ordered or queued) and Reading (An ARC counts for me).

No way a TBR item should allow a review of anything (except the cover )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 11:57 AM   #60
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I don't care Why you have the book.

To me there is a dif between TBR list (ordered or queued) and Reading (An ARC counts for me).
Great, you use your GR tags however you like then. Feel free to pay zero attention to mine; they're not about you.