Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-27-2023, 05:51 PM   #31
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Goodreads does giveaways of ARCs, so clearly it IS (a) place for those reviews.
When did that start?

That's crazy. Only the publishers should release ARCs and to trusted partners.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 05:59 PM   #32
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Again.... you don't really get to decide who SHOULD do what in the publishing world.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2023, 06:03 PM   #33
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
"Require" is not really the right word. For me it would be "prefer the opinions of others..." And you may still have it a bit backwards. I'm very rarely looking for opinions regarding a book I'm already thinking about reading. I've already got plenty of books I may want to read. When looking at the reviews of others, I'm most often looking for books it probably never would have occurred to me to read (left to my own devices).

That books and authors you would not perhaps have been exposed to makes great sense to me, and I agree how does one find these books. For me, it's often by chance.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 06:18 PM   #34
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Rather patronizing, don't you think? Where did we say "require" as opposed to finding them useful? And you misunderstood or chose to ignore where I mentioned "discovery" and books outside the mainstream, even though you quoted it. Aside from seeing if people with similar tastes to mine have liked or disliked a book and why, I find out titles of interest from what they're reading that I had not heard of and might never hear of otherwise.
Reading goodreads reviews apparently is a topic that hits the odd exposed nerve, and I can appreciate that people who write reviews consider that others will read it. I guess some goodreads reviewers are quite considered in their reviewing approach, and that writing a review can also assist in their further appreciation of the book.

Yes, agreed being exposed to new authors and books is one reason to seek out others for some, and one of your choices is to read reviews.

What apparent manufactured dramas goodreads engages in, reviews for books that don't exist, surely that degrades the honesty of the whole site. Yeah, I know another topic entirely.
Old 06-27-2023, 06:37 PM   #35
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
When did that start?

That's crazy. Only the publishers should release ARCs and to trusted partners.

Can an author restrict a publisher re who they give review copies to? I'm guessing maybe the big earners can, but maybe not the majority of authors

What a silly state of affairs that an odd bod site like goodreads can attract such attention that it could influence poorly the sales of a book yet to be published. A book that a publisher wants to have some sort of successful sales outcome.

Edit: do you self publish Quoth?

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 06-27-2023 at 06:40 PM.
Advert
Old 06-27-2023, 06:44 PM   #36
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
do you self publish Quoth?
In a manner of speaking, technically.
Corvids Press will come up if you search the ISBN database.
There is more than one author.
Corvids Press was created for someone other than me by me.
Old 06-27-2023, 06:48 PM   #37
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Again.... you don't really get to decide who SHOULD do what in the publishing world.
Neither do you, unless you are publisher and then only for your books. That's an idiotic comment and I've as much right to have an opinion about Goodreads as anyone. I've also had fruitless arguments with their admins. Basically unless you have more lawyer money than Amazon they are "right" when they are totally wrong. So stop with the snarking.
Old 06-27-2023, 06:52 PM   #38
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
What a silly state of affairs that an odd bod site like goodreads can attract such attention that it could influence poorly the sales of a book yet to be published. A book that a publisher wants to have some sort of successful sales outcome.
An odd bod site? Goodreads has over 125 million members. That's what I'd call clout.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 06:58 PM   #39
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

To potentially hit some more nerves, it seems to me that goodreads has some sort of inflated ingratiating status.
To quote Wikipedia:
"Goodreads is an American social cataloging website and a subsidiary of Amazon that allows individuals to search its database of books, annotations, quotes, and reviews."

Book sales, book sales, and book sales for Amazon is surely the raison d'etre.
What I'm saying is, that's the lense goodreads existence can be considered in.
Old 06-27-2023, 07:03 PM   #40
jmurphy
Connoisseur
jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipaq
Quote:

What a silly state of affairs that an odd bod site like goodreads

They've been owned by Amazon for over a decade....
jmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 07:40 PM   #41
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Neither do you, unless you are publisher and then only for your books. That's an idiotic comment and I've as much right to have an opinion about Goodreads as anyone.
Of course I don't. I never suggested what publishers should or shouldn't do. Not my bailiwick, nor yours. What an idiotic response to an objective observation. Perhaps you've not noticed that you state a lot of your opinions very much like they are facts?

For the record, I don't really care what Goodreads' or Amazon's intentions are. They're just two sites among many that I've found a way to use to my advantage. If they make some hay off of me in the process, so be it. That's how these things work.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-27-2023 at 08:03 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 08:14 PM   #42
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Let us (Authors) not forget to Read the Contract terms.

How many of us have (books from) Baen CD's in our Library?
I remember hearing of an unhappy Author complaining about all their work being given away.
(If you read the CD License terms, you can only make and give a Full copy of the CD). The contract had Promotion terms.

My paper Library had many of those titles already, but a few I found there resulted in SALES of that Authors work. Free / cheap samples do work to get something read that might otherwise be passed by.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 10:27 PM   #43
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
For the record, I don't really care what Goodreads' or Amazon's intentions are. They're just two sites among many that I've found a way to use to my advantage.
This for me too, I ignore the bulk of whatever is there and hone in on the author info, or book or series info I'm after.

Individual's reviews on books are twaddle to be ignored for my purposes.
Old 06-27-2023, 11:11 PM   #44
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I really like GR's "compare books" function. It quickly tells me how my tastes line up with others.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 02:29 AM   #45
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I really like GR's "compare books" function. It quickly tells me how my tastes line up with others.
The similar function at The Storygraph works very well too
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote