Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-21-2023, 07:57 PM   #1
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
FTC sues amazon over dark patterns

The FTC is suing amazon for hounding non-prime to join prine multiple times during a purchase checkout to the poing of making the final click to buy likely to also join prime. In addition, the FTC says the number of clicks required to cancel prime excessive enough to be part of the suit.

I've been extremely annoyed by this for years, but assumed it didn't cross any legality boundaries. I am happy that the FTC does not agree with me on that point.

Amazon is denying any wrongdoing, but is allegedly taking steps to dial back a bit.

https://www.npr.org/2023/06/21/11834...zon-over-prime
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 09:32 PM   #2
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
After several years, I dropped Prime earlier this year; I don't recall Amazon making it difficult to cancel. I have deliberately shopped less at Amazon since canceling Prime, but I have noticed the relentless push to get me to join Prime every time I've checked out.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2023, 10:53 PM   #3
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The buying process hasn't really become more difficult; it's just more passive aggressive. You used to have to click a "No" button when declining to subscribe to Amazon Prime, and these days your options are "Yes" and "I'm an idiot who doesn't understand how cool Amazon Prime is" instead of "No".
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 04:40 AM   #4
Dsharma
Enthusiast
Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Interesting thread! I've noticed Amazon's aggressive Prime prompts too. While it's a bit annoying, I've always viewed it as part of the online shopping experience.

I'm glad to hear the FTC is stepping in though, because it does feel like those practices can be a bit misleading, especially for less tech-savvy users. It's important for businesses to balance their marketing efforts with respecting customer choices.

I'm curious to see what changes Amazon will make, if any, in response to this lawsuit.
Dsharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 08:42 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I find Prime gives a good value. I get free priority shipping and Prime Video. I do watch Prime Video.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2023, 08:54 AM   #6
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I find Prime gives a good value. I get free priority shipping and Prime Video. I do watch Prime Video.
I think that's the thing about prime. If you just used it for free shipping it probably wouldn't be worth it. But if you don't already subscribe to Netflix etc. then Prime Video is pretty good, and depending on your reading tastes you get a free book a month as well. Plus Kindle Lending Library or whatever it's called this week.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 09:02 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsharma View Post
I'm curious to see what changes Amazon will make, if any, in response to this lawsuit.
I'm guessing that will depend on whether or not a) the case actually goes to trial, and b) the outcome of the trial should it get that far.

I'm not crazy about aggressive pitches like this from any company. But I'm also not all that sympathetic toward those who aren't that tech savvy doing things that require a decent amount of tech savvy-ness. Those who find it too difficult to read and uncheck/check boxes should probably not be doing much online shopping (or browsing for that matter) these days. At Amazon or anywhere.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 10:12 AM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
...these days your options are "Yes" and "I'm an idiot who doesn't understand how cool Amazon Prime is" instead of "No".
Oh yeah. I got that sort of thing from TicketMaster when I bought Eddie Izzard tickets. Do I want to insure my tickets? The options are something like 'Yes' and 'I'll instead take my life in my hands and likely spend my future wallowing in a bleak eternity of missed chances' That quote may not be verbatim, but it's the spirit of it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 10:17 AM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

While we're suing Amazon, something needs to be done about Prime Video and access to other subscription services. Aside from Prime Video, I have (HBO) Max. Those show up in Prime Video, so I thought I could sign in to my Max account there and use Prime Video to access both (which seems like a good idea). But instead I wound up with two separate Max subscriptions.

That's not how Prime Video works. Fair enough. But then my kid managed to accidentally subscribed us to Starz and then just last week, my MIL did the same thing I did and resubscribed us to Max via Prime Video.

There ought to be a setting to turn suggestions from those other subscription-required services off.
Old 06-22-2023, 12:17 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You are missing the point.
The complaint is not about Prime.

It is about how they are selling it. A bit like the door-to-door Vacuum sales were done in the 50's (foot in door)
M$ does it this way, EVERY day I look at the MSN page, it nags for me to make it MY HOME PAGE (I have none) l(ike I am too stoopid to click my bookmark when I do want to occasionally see what they have)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 12:55 PM   #11
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
If you just used it for free shipping it probably wouldn't be worth it.
The huge advantage is being able to check out with less than $25 total and get the free shipping. This allows you to order something right when you need it. My household easily averages 3 order per week, which makes even the increased price worth it.

Add in the fact that Prime seems to give better overall shipping speed, and it's not uncommon for me to order something on Friday and have it in my hands by Saturday night.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 01:01 PM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
M$ does it this way, EVERY day I look at the MSN page, it nags for me to make it MY HOME PAGE (I have none) l(ike I am too stoopid to click my bookmark when I do want to occasionally see what they have)
Did you know Microsoft Edge is the browser designed to work best with Windows 10? (In other words, Microsoft nags me too)
Old 06-22-2023, 01:09 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The one I find most annoying is Google's endless advertising for Chrome whenever I hit a Google associated web page.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 01:26 PM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
The huge advantage is being able to check out with less than $25 total and get the free shipping. This allows you to order something right when you need it. My household easily averages 3 order per week, which makes even the increased price worth it.

Add in the fact that Prime seems to give better overall shipping speed, and it's not uncommon for me to order something on Friday and have it in my hands by Saturday night.
All irrelevant. It's dishonestly marketed. BIG BUTTONS at each stage to complete order that automatically subscribe you to Prime and small regular print to go to next stage without subscription.

They also seem to deliberately delay shipping on some orders when you don't have Prime.

Also it costs money even if you buy nothing!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 02:47 PM   #15
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The one I find most annoying is Google's endless advertising for Chrome whenever I hit a Google associated web page.
Oh man. Even adblock can't beat Google's annoying Chrome pop-up (or at least it couldn't when I tried). I use Bing instead.

I love Google. I have multiple Google Home speakers, a Nest thermostat and I have a Nest doorbell waiting to be installed. I bought the whole family Pixels and Google-Fi is our service provider. I also have the Nest WiFi router.

And yet... I can't stand Chrome. And I use Bing search which is just as good as Google, once you use it a while. Google doesn't need to know every single thing about me.