Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-21-2023, 09:56 AM   #1
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Replacing batteries

All gadget batteries in gadgets sold in EU to be user replaceable by 2027.
They used to be.
Quote:
The European Parliament has voted yes to replaceable battery legislation, putting Apple on a path to a second redesign just over a year after USB-C charging ports were mandated in the bloc.

Unlike the USB-C redesign, which has a 2024 deadline, the "portable battery" rule will come into play in 2027 at the earliest. That rule, by the way, covers all appliances and will mean that if you own the gadget, you should be able to remove and replace its battery yourself.
https://www.theregister.com/2023/06/...y_eu/?td=rt-3a

IMO this is years late, but good. I note the rechargeable "Dremmel" like tool I got this week has 5 years on the tool and 6 months on the battery pack (which does unplug).

Of course no g'tee you'll find a battery or cell.

The NiMH, various Lithium and Lead Acid (gel worse than wet) all have shorter life than the electronics. Life is partly cycles, quality, temperature and relative drain (heavy or light), so 12 months is only an average in many cases on Electronic that can last 5 to 20 years.
Some Kindles and most Kobos can be popped open to for the user to replace the cell. Many calculators and toys need a screwdriver so that small children don't swallow the button cells.
It just means the unit needs to open somehow and battery/cell shouldn't be glued.

An issue for many rechargeable BT ear buds and pens/stylus, not just phones.

The KK3, DXG, original Libra and Sage easily opened. I think Oasis not at all and the original Kobo Aura HD H2O is difficult.

Edit: All my phones since 1998 except my defunct iPhone have had replaceable packs: Various Nokia, Sagem, Nokia, Sony-Ericsson (Android 5), Sony, Alcatel, Huawei, Oppo (Android 11). The last five still go.

Last edited by Quoth; 06-21-2023 at 10:01 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 11:00 AM   #2
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
That is one thing I definitely miss about my original Samsung Galaxy S II (oh, I'm sorry: 'Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch'--thanks, Sprint). The battery life was middling, but being able to simply power down the phone, pop off the back, and drop in an a backup battery that I had already charged was quite nice.

Then I switched to the beautiful HTC One (a user-replaceable battery was 'not possible' because of the aluminum unibody design, they said), and that feature was never to be seen in a flagship phone again.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2023, 12:38 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You can't get batteries for a Kindle 4 from Amazon, but you can from one of their 'sellers' of other batteries (newpower99.com) .
They come with a pry-tool and a link to a video on how to do it.

But there is a serious problem with a custom shaped (to maximize capacity in the available space) battery , not being available after device production (if ever) ceases.
How long should they be available? There are MR users that still have K2's
And even if the battery can be replaced simply by removing the door, (fresh)Batteries for my Astak EZReader??? At an affordable price?

Otoh, my 50year old (emergency use) flashlight still uses 2 @ standard size 'D' (I did upgrade the PR sized lamp to LED)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 01:03 PM   #4
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Yeah. I've got a Ryobi "Tek4" headset, five years old. Takes a modular battery that charges offboard. They switched to USB, and those "replaceable" batteries are nowhere to be found.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 02:09 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Otoh, my 50year old (emergency use) flashlight still uses 2 @ standard size 'D' (I did upgrade the PR sized lamp to LED)
The D cell used in Flashlights from about 1898 and the AA in "pen lights" for soldiers in 1914 (may have existed earlier). Though A, AA, B, C, D, E F and G designations were not official till maybe 1947.
B cells are still inside the 4.6V flattish battery with two long prongs. Used in old rear cycle lamps, flashlights and two side by side instead of the big 9V packs in European portable radios.

F cells are still inside most 996 6V packs with the two springs. The larger pack simply is two sets of f x F cells in parallel with screw fittings.

http://www.blaukatz.com/tables/basic-round-cells/
http://www.blaukatz.com/tables/other-batteries/

The largest ever 1.5V Zinc cell was the #8 or Flag used for car ignition (starting only on Magneto systems with crank starters), Home flag systems (bell push to servants), electrically powered pendulum clocks, Railway signalling etc. The 7.5V round Fencer uses 5 of the same size internally (IEC R40, but they are Zinc Air). Size 153mm tall and 63.5mm diameter.

Some old battery valve radio sets used 4, 8 or more D cells or F cells in parallel for the 1.5V filament, one pack used G cells but later D. Others used 7.5V, 9V or 12V by series connections of the valves/tubes. Before layer cells were invented all HT packs from 45V to 120V used multiple B cells. Mallory, now called Duracell, invented the button cell in the 1930s. The coin cell is based on the same concept. Originally mercury based, they are now Alkaline, Zinc Air, Silver (two kinds one rechargeable), and many kinds of Lithium (some rechargeable).
Advert
Old 06-21-2023, 02:12 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I look forward to see what Apple does with it's devices to make the batteries user replaceable. I cannot see Apple making things for the EU and then for the rest of the world,
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 02:43 PM   #7
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I look forward to see what Apple does with it's devices to make the batteries user replaceable. I cannot see Apple making things for the EU and then for the rest of the world,
Indeed. I also wonder how far the requirement will go, i.e. will the manufacturers be required to allow replacing a battery on the go (without tools) or will they be allowed to secure the compartment with screws or other means requiring the use of tools to open the case. If it’s the former, then the fad of phones as thin as possible is likely coming to an end (applies to the latter as well but to a lesser extent).
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 03:40 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

It will not be a swappable on the go requirement, it will be an "easy to replace" instead of scrapping gadget. Impact far beyond phones.

Will light up shoes/runners, balls and skate board wheels etc be included? I suspect not as these are still functional when the battery / cell is flat.

Edit:
It's not just the EU, but many countries that also adopt various EU ideas as local laws. Switzerland, Norway, some aspects in Israel and Turkey, and of course a bunch of countries wanting to join the EU.

Last edited by Quoth; 06-21-2023 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-21-2023, 03:59 PM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The could be smart and play it off like it was all their idea in order to reduce e-waste or some such.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 04:37 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
Yeah. I've got a Ryobi "Tek4" headset, five years old. Takes a modular battery that charges offboard. They switched to USB, and those "replaceable" batteries are nowhere to be found.
Looks like they're available, but not cheap.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ryob...w=1680&bih=943
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 04:50 PM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Only half way on topic... About four years ago we bought a Black & Decker hedge trimmer — except somehow we ended up getting two. I didn't need two hedge trimmers so I was going to send the one back, but never got around to it. Then I was going to sell it, but never got around to it... so I had one in its box for almost four years.

Somehow the charger for the opened one got lost so I opened the "new" package. Figured that at least I'll have two batteries. Except the battery wouldn't take a charge. Too long dead without a charge (apparently a problem especially with Lithium batteries). But I found out that by using two wires and my other battery I could "reset" it. Just connect positive to positive and then negative to negative for about one to two seconds. That was all it took. Battery charged fine after that.

I'm guessing you could do the same with Lithium eReader batteries.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 05:31 PM   #12
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I wonder what Apple will do for Airpods. And other manufacturers for wireless earbuds.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 06:54 PM   #13
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Wow that's great. I wish it were the law here in the USA. I hate that my Samsung 10E isn't battery replaceable. All of my other Samsung phones I buy a new battery for it probably once a year or two.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 07:14 PM   #14
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I love that my Sennheiser RS 195 headphones have rechargeable batteries that are easy to replace.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 07:44 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Wow that's great. I wish it were the law here in the USA. I hate that my Samsung 10E isn't battery replaceable. All of my other Samsung phones I buy a new battery for it probably once a year or two.
That may not matter. Do you think tech companies are going to make two different versions of the same model? One for the EU and one for everywhere else? I doubt it as it would be more expensive to design a model that has an easily replaceable battery. and one that doesn't.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote