Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-14-2023, 01:15 PM   #16
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The resolution of the Sol Reader is terrible. The fonts used are awful. It's like reading on an 8-bit game console without color.
It's better and worse than an original 1989 Gameboy:
160 (w) × 144 (h) pixels, monochrome LCD with four levels of grey/white/black.

Sol
256 x 256 pixel, but strangely no greys? Just on/off pixels.

CGA on PC 1981:
320 x 200 pixels with 3 ghastly colors and black,
640 x 200 in mono, 720 × 348

Hercules 3rd party card 1982
720 x 348, 720 × 348

ACT Sirius1 / Victor 9000 1981
800 x 400 pixels, matte black and green

ZX Spectrum, 1982
256×192 pixels, but colour! a palette of 15 shades: seven colours at two levels of brightness each, plus black.

Palm III, 1998. This series of PDAs was the last thing to use low resolution square (or nearly square) displays.
192 x 192 pixel and 4 shade mono.

So, yes, JS Wolf is right. It's FORTY years out of date on display resolution.

NTSC TV limited consoles to 240 lines, less due to overscan. PAL TV 288 (but less due to overscan), hence the 192 to 200 lines.
UK 405 TV was turned off in 1985 (about 188 lines). The full 480, 576 or 377 resolution couldn't be used due to interlace. All detail had to be two lines high minimum to avoid flicker being half as fast.

Last edited by Quoth; 06-14-2023 at 01:21 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 04:29 PM   #17
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The display is indeed awful. I got a headache just from the demo.
There's a demo? I couldn't find anything on the site.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2023, 04:46 PM   #18
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
There's a demo? I couldn't find anything on the site.
From BionicGecko's post:
In the “Product Specs” section, there are two buttons, “Reader” (the default), and “Navigation”. The latter brings up the display “demo”.

Last edited by Sirtel; 06-14-2023 at 05:08 PM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 05:34 PM   #19
Dsharma
Enthusiast
Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I gotta say, the idea of "noise-canceling for your eyes" is pretty darn cool. No distractions, just you and your book - sounds like a reader's dream​.
Dsharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 05:41 PM   #20
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsharma View Post
I gotta say, the idea of "noise-canceling for your eyes" is pretty darn cool. No distractions, just you and your book - sounds like a reader's dream​.
...until that reader gets overrun by a car, a train, a bike etc, like many folks with earphones have. Going by those accidents, plenty of people would be stupid enough to wear their immersive reading glasses on the street.
Advert
Old 06-14-2023, 05:48 PM   #21
Dsharma
Enthusiast
Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
...until that reader gets overrun by a car, a train, a bike etc, like many folks with earphones have. Going by those accidents, plenty of people would be stupid enough to wear their immersive reading glasses on the street.
That's true. Totally agree with you.
But anyway, I consider this a big step for readers. I would like to try it.
Dsharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 07:50 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
That's true. Totally agree with you.
But anyway, I consider this a big step for readers. I would like to try it.
After seeing the demo, this is going to be painful for the eyes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 01:46 AM   #23
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
I agree, the demo was headache inducing. Not to mention the horrible website.

I find the idea intriguing, though. A problem with book reading is constantly looking down - combine that with sitting in front of a laptop screen, looking at a phone, etc - and your neck will start complaining. This kind of tech could potentially alleviate that.
kandwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 08:19 AM   #24
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post

I find the idea intriguing, though. A problem with book reading is constantly looking down - combine that with sitting in front of a laptop screen, looking at a phone, etc - and your neck will start complaining. This kind of tech could potentially alleviate that.
I don't look down in any of those scenarios, and at 51 I have no neck pains whatsoever. I hold my ereader in my hand and slightly downward from my eyes, but not so downward I have to bend my neck. The same with the phone. A laptop is used on a stand, so that the screen is again about the height of my eyes.

When I see kids looking at their phones with their chins practically on their chests, then my neck starts to hurt. I couldn't use any device in this position even for 10 minutes.
Old 06-17-2023, 04:44 AM   #25
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
The display is indeed awful. I got a headache just from the demo.
I have to agree on the display. What's worse (and fitting into the stupid website comment), something in that screen demo (which seemed really simple) kicked my computer's fan into high gear. This is a little Optiplex micro computer. I NEVER hear its fan. I have no idea how they accomplished that but as soon as I left the site the fan went back to normal.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 04:46 AM   #26
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
For me it looks claustrophobic.
Old 06-17-2023, 04:52 AM   #27
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
I agree, the demo was headache inducing. Not to mention the horrible website.

Except it's relatively heavy (about 2/3 the weight of a Kobo Clara HD, 105 grams) and that weight rests on your nose and ears. I can see where you might be inclined to hold your head in an abnormal position to keep it from slipping down on your nose. But it may be well-balanced and not uncomfortable.
Old 06-17-2023, 10:04 AM   #28
bbqncigars
PDA dino
bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bbqncigars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, Rooted NC, Voyages(2)
I would like to see something like an updated version of Google Glass. I get that full size lenses can be a more versatile display, but large lenses have their drawbacks. I wore glasses since third grade until Lasik fifteen years ago, and don't miss frequently cleaning them.
bbqncigars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 12:03 PM   #29
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I have to agree on the display. What's worse (and fitting into the stupid website comment), something in that screen demo (which seemed really simple) kicked my computer's fan into high gear. This is a little Optiplex micro computer. I NEVER hear its fan. I have no idea how they accomplished that but as soon as I left the site the fan went back to normal.
A couple of hardware refreshes ago at work, any mobilread animated gif avatar would kick the Xeon CPU to 100% and the fan started to howl.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 01:10 AM   #30
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
A couple of hardware refreshes ago at work, any mobilread animated gif avatar would kick the Xeon CPU to 100% and the fan started to howl.
That's even weirder. I wonder what causes (caused) that?