Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-11-2023, 10:09 PM   #1
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Kindle Unlimited Price Hike

Announced in an email this morning:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for being a Kindle Unlimited member.

We are writing to let you know that the price of a monthly Kindle Unlimited membership increased from $9.99 to $11.99 on May 11, 2023. The new price will apply to you after June 18, 2023, on the date of your next monthly renewal.

Since the launch of Kindle Unlimited in 2014, we have grown our eBook catalog from 600,000 titles to over 4 million titles today, introduced digital magazine subscriptions, and improved selection quality across genres. Kindle Unlimited members have unparalleled access to read as much as they want from a rich catalog of eBooks, audiobooks, magazines and comics. We continue to invest in making Kindle Unlimited even more valuable for members.

Until July 31, 2023, you have the option to lock in your current price ($9.99/month) by purchasing upfront 6 months or 12 months of Kindle Unlimited. The lock-in price will take effect on the next billing date after the offer is purchased.

Decisions, decisions. It was already difficult choosing enough books on the service to read each month.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 07:51 AM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
That's a lot of money for books that overall aren't very good and tend to be cheap to purchase. I thought that about $9.99 also, but going over $10 crosses a psychological barrier. You could join a couple of out-of-state OverDrive libraries and still have money left over.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2023, 08:11 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Poor Amazon....We should help them out...Perhaps a drive to raise $100 billion for 2023...Join me, please.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 08:56 AM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Those who want to continue using Kindle Unlimited may be interested in giving themselves a gift subscription to KU. That provides a significant saving with the drawback of having to pre-pay.

The best deal is 24 months for $172.66 which works out to $7.19 per month.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 10:00 AM   #5
cane
Enthusiast
cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3,Kindle Oasis 2016,2022 Basic kindle
Kindle Unlimited member

I received the same email message this morning
time to look at other sites
Cane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
Announced in an email this morning:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for being a Kindle Unlimited member.

We are writing to let you know that the price of a monthly Kindle Unlimited membership increased from $9.99 to $11.99 on May 11, 2023. The new price will apply to you after June 18, 2023, on the date of your next monthly renewal.

Since the launch of Kindle Unlimited in 2014, we have grown our eBook catalog from 600,000 titles to over 4 million titles today, introduced digital magazine subscriptions, and improved selection quality across genres. Kindle Unlimited members have unparalleled access to read as much as they want from a rich catalog of eBooks, audiobooks, magazines and comics. We continue to invest in making Kindle Unlimited even more valuable for members.

Until July 31, 2023, you have the option to lock in your current price ($9.99/month) by purchasing upfront 6 months or 12 months of Kindle Unlimited. The lock-in price will take effect on the next billing date after the offer is purchased.

Decisions, decisions. It was already difficult choosing enough books on the service to read each month.
cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2023, 10:06 AM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Those who want to continue using Kindle Unlimited may be interested in giving themselves a gift subscription to KU. That provides a significant saving with the drawback of having to pre-pay.

The best deal is 24 months for $172.66 which works out to $7.19 per month.
I'm quibbling, but that's the only gift subscription deal. The six- and 12-month KU gifts work out to the current renewal price of $9.99/month.
Old 05-12-2023, 10:15 AM   #7
CAFlanny
Connoisseur
CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CAFlanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, Meebook P78 Pro, Kindles: PW5, Voyage, & Keyboard
I hope they continue the Prime Day gift subscription. Otherwise, I would be paying almost twice as much per month.
CAFlanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 10:17 AM   #8
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm quibbling, but that's the only gift subscription deal. The six- and 12-month KU gifts work out to the current renewal price of $9.99/month.
Which is $2/month cheaper than the cost will be if you don't buy yourself a gift subscription, right?
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 10:20 AM   #9
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I'll be paying for 12 months before the price hike hits my membership. I've been going through 3-5 KU books per week when I'm working on sewing projects. Between KU and the library, I've always got something to read/listen to via speak screen.

Most of the books are not great literature, but that's ok for my casual reads.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 10:29 AM   #10
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBob View Post
Which is $2/month cheaper than the cost will be if you don't buy yourself a gift subscription, right?
Not if you renew now, as per the email.
Old 05-12-2023, 10:40 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
About $144 per year. I might or might not buy that amount from Amazon in a year. I'd want to read about two or three "free" KU ebooks a week to justify that. Likely cost more here.

Last edited by Quoth; 05-12-2023 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Checked.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 10:40 AM   #12
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Most of the books are not great literature, but that's ok for my casual reads.
I wasn't knocking the quality -- well, ok, I was -- but there's nothing wrong with that. As you note, it can work. I did two complimentary KU memberships because there are a lot of self-pubbed books (and not a lot of trad-pubbed) in a genre I like. The reality was that my reading satisfaction overall went down significantly, even though I DNFed the worst of them. Just the same, I was glad to have read the books; still, my gut reaction is that $144/year is a lot of money for not-very-good books even in quantity. Your point, however, about making use of Alexa to read KU books is excellent and could tip the balance.
Old 05-12-2023, 10:49 AM   #13
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Poor Amazon....We should help them out...Perhaps a drive to raise $100 billion for 2023...Join me, please.
Now I'm thinking of Sally Struthers pleading with me to donate to help Amazon's worthy cause.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 12:24 PM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
And, of course, we all know that this increase in the subscription price will be passed on to the authors.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 01:10 PM   #15
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
For me, $9.99 per month was too much given my slow reading speed. I acknowledge Amazon's efforts here, but unfortunately $11.99 is still too much. I'll wait until they hit at least $15.99 per month before I reconsider.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon account, kindle unlimited