Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-07-2023, 11:28 AM   #31
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I was very tempted to buy a Boox, then the Elipsa came out and I had since 2016 used a Kobo to proof and annotate epubs with Calibre support.

I still might get a Boox if they have one with 300 dpi and better than 10″.

Does anyone know for sure what the Lenovo dpi is?
I couldn't read the entire Engadget review.
FWIW, I have been under-impressed with the Boox. I have the top-of-the-line 10" and I never use it. It's just...it's the wrong size for my hands, firstly, (which obviously will not affect the vast majority of folks), and it's just clunky. Andif you're going to ask me for clunky examples, not sure I can give them but...underwhelmed. Especially for the pricing. (And now I have the Scribe, which I got mostly for my biz and it's not blowing my skirt up, either!)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 01:18 PM   #32
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Some servers have enough fans. I'd worry about an ereader that did it.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2023, 06:21 AM   #33
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
here two german (golem.de) links regarding Lenovo 's device: Anouncement and hands-on:
https://www.golem.de/news/smart-pape...01-170763.html
https://www.golem.de/news/lenovo-sma...01-171001.html

what's pointed out positively, is that you already get the full package - no "the pen is extra", it can epub and it CAN save files on-device. Thus no "gadget-as-a-service" crap leaving you with techno-waste when they pull their cloud-plug.

Spoiler:
There's is no cloud - it's just somebody else's computer. :P

The only thing that makes me NOT wait for the device being affordable is the "Lenovo" part of the story.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 05:53 AM   #34
Roos
Groupie
Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Scribe, Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
Luneburger Heide

The only thing that makes me NOT wait for the device being affordable is the "Lenovo" part of the story.
Exactly, bullseye.

I have owned some Lenovo devices, and i am NOT impressed with their support and especially their update policies at all.
Roos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 11:07 AM   #35
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lenovo gadgets are maybe the only ones (apart from ereaders) that I've had updates on.
Few laptop makers and fewer Android makers release any updates. I've had plenty of far worse PCs than my lenovo laptop and plenty of worse tablets. They seem about average.
Advert
Old 01-10-2023, 02:26 PM   #36
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Brand new, My Deep Guide does an unboxing and first impression video.

patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 06:35 PM   #37
Sonnenfee
Zealot
Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Sony, Woxter
Quote:
There is NO handwriting recognition on the reMarkable.
Sorry for being a little off topic.

Sometime things are changing. With the FW-Update 3.0 handwriting recognition came ON the reM 2.

Today I installed the newest FW-Update. Voja mentioned in his Video at YT that there are less possibilities with the converted text pages.

That’s not true. I tried it and now you have the choice for a handwriting page to convert it in text directly ON the reM 2 and the converted text is added as a new page in the "Notebook" you are actually writing.

Voja didn’t mentioned it in his video about the the FW-Update 3.0 and he didn’t tested it, but it's choosable where this converted page in the actual "Notebook" should be placed, for example directly after the handwritten page, that's standard/default, but over the grid view, with a long tap on the page it can be moved where I want to have it in the actual "Notebook".

So for example it’s possible to sort first by handwritten pages and then all pages with the converted text in the "Notebook". Or for example deleting the handwritten notes after having them as converted text.
Duplicating the page/pages is also possible and converted text page or more text pages can also be moved to any other “Notebook” on the device, too.

Last edited by Sonnenfee; 01-13-2023 at 05:10 AM.
Sonnenfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 07:50 AM   #38
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

It's not clear if FW 3.0 needs WiFI and a server connection for the reMarkable:
https://support.remarkable.com/s/art...re-release-3-0
Quote:
A new writing experience

In addition to the different writing tools that work with your Marker, you can add structure to your handwritten notes using typed text. Use the on-screen keyboard to write in a clear typeface in three different sizes for adding titles, subheadings, and bullet points to notes.
Quote:
Please note that you’ll need the latest version of our desktop app, and version 3.0 installed on your reMarkable to view your synced documents.
A Connect subscription is required to type in the desktop app.
Not only a sub, but it doesn't work on Linux.
Quote:
The desktop app can be installed on the following operating systems:
Windows 10 and newer
macOS 10.13 and newer
Handwriting Conversion
Quote:
Make sure your reMarkable is up to date

Software version 3.0 is required to use this feature and save converted notes to your reMarkable. Learn how to update your device here.
For devices running earlier software versions, the handwriting conversion features may not work exactly as described below.

Supported content

You can convert handwritten notes in your notebooks, and in note pages you’ve added to your PDFs or ebooks.

Wi-Fi connection and cloud account are required

You need to be connected to a Wi-Fi network and logged in to a reMarkable account (my.remarkable.com) to use this feature.

Step-by-step guide to converting notes into text
1. Open your notebook, ebook, or PDF to the page containing the handwritten notes you want to convert.

2. Tap the Share and convert icon, then Convert notes to text. Your converted notes will be added as a new page.
It's still rubbish compared to the Kobo Elipsa or Kobo Sage.

One advantage of the reMarkable over the Kindle Sage is that it uses regular PDFs. The "notebooks" are also PDFs. Except there is no USB MS or USB MTP, it uses USB networking and an onboard Webserver. You use the webpage to it over USB to download PDFs from it, or drag & drop any PDF to a folder, so unlike the Scribe it can be used securely without out Internet (but probably not for Handwriting conversion). The Nebo system used by the Kobo Sage & Elipsa exports docx, text, html etc direct to local storage or Dropbox. It does maths, checkboxes and shape conversion too. The Kobo Basic Notebook is more like the reMarkable notebook as it's images only exported as PNG or PDF (local storage or Dropbox).

The Lenovo sounds far better than the reMarkable or the Kindle Scribe.

Last edited by Quoth; 01-13-2023 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-13-2023, 10:00 AM   #39
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
The Lenovo sounds far better than the reMarkable or the Kindle Scribe.
Well, RM2 looks better to many
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 10:32 AM   #40
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Well, RM2 looks better to many
Maybe people that read the hype and don't have a reMarkable to know the reality.
Old 01-13-2023, 11:32 AM   #41
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Maybe people that read the hype and don't have a reMarkable to know the reality.
Y'know, they all have their own fans. I am yet not blown away with the Boox or the Scribe. Someday, perhaps, my prince of (larger) eInks will come, lol.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 12:50 PM   #42
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Brand new, My Deep Guide does an unboxing and first impression video.

Fixed YouTube link.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 12:53 PM   #43
Sonnenfee
Zealot
Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wouldn’t wanna have a Chinese product with a microphone inside.
I love my privacy.
Old 01-13-2023, 01:02 PM   #44
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenfee View Post
I wouldn’t wanna have a Chinese product with a microphone inside.
I love my privacy.
Like Chinese made USA corporation: Amazon Ring, Google Nest, Amazon Alexa, MS Surface with Cortana, Android TV, Fire TV, Apple iThings.
Or USA government bugged Cisco Routers.

That ship has sailed. You can though remove the WiFi, or the mic.

Good Luck buying any Tech not made in China, India, Thailand, South Korea etc.
Old 01-13-2023, 01:09 PM   #45
Sonnenfee
Zealot

If I have the choice, I don‘t support Chinese companies.

And it’s a different between „made in“ and the company is Chinese and sells their own products directly.

Last edited by Sonnenfee; 01-13-2023 at 02:44 PM.