Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-26-2022, 09:42 AM   #1
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Point of "<br class="calibre1"/>"?

In almost every epub that I play with, I see things like:
Code:
<br class="calibre1"/>
Of course, I see it with classes other than calibre1. But, what's the point? Is the class merely to set the size of the break inserted? In the case of calibre1, though it's invariably got the underlying css of:
Code:
.calibre1 {
  display: block;
}
So, in that case, what's the difference between <br/> and <br class="calibre1"/>?

Similarly, I wonder about self-closing <a and <p tags with classes inside them that don't actually DO anything but set an id= . What's the point of the formatting classes inside them?
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 10:22 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
In your example, there's no point to <br class="calibre1"/>. When I find them, I convert them to <br/>. They do exactly the same thing. Also, if you come upon something like <i class="calibre4">, that can be changed to just <i>.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2022, 10:36 AM   #3
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
They correspond to special page break elements at the end of every chapter for MOBI (MOBI files are one big stream and need explicit page breaks.)
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 10:41 AM   #4
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In your example, there's no point to <br class="calibre1"/>. When I find them, I convert them to <br/>. They do exactly the same thing. Also, if you come upon something like <i class="calibre4">, that can be changed to just <i>.
I see this quite often too… usually the calibre4 says something silly like “font-style:italics” in which case it is totally reasonable to just use <i> (If it makes you feel good, or are CDO like me you can add i {font-style:italics} to your css sheet)… but make sure it doesn’t have something else as well. Some times you might see something that changes the color, underline, or font type, etc. and you want to make sure you account for that.

Last edited by Turtle91; 07-26-2022 at 10:44 AM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 01:26 PM   #5
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Since I always see a <br class="calibre1"/>, is that construct added by Calibre's conversion process? Perhaps to handle the MOBI case Sarmat89 noted, above?

Of course, I see tons of non-Calibre classes used in the same way (and in things like <i class=...>, <b class=..., <em, strong, sup, sub, etc., etc.). And, as JSWolf suggested, I just convert them back to their base tags.
Advert
Old 07-26-2022, 01:38 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLessnau View Post
Since I always see a <br class="calibre1"/>, is that construct added by Calibre's conversion process? Perhaps to handle the MOBI case Sarmat89 noted, above?
I doubt they are connected to the Mobi case mentioned since I see them in the middle of book titles to prettify the line breaks in a long book title for example.

One of the many reasons I now use KindleUnpack to convert azw3/KF8 to epub is that the css is not munged in the process.

Last edited by DNSB; 07-26-2022 at 01:40 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 03:31 PM   #7
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You don't state where the <br/> is used in the text, but my understanding is that using <br/> as a scene break is a no-no. Is that what you are using it for? It's ok for in-line use.
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...ility_concerns

I tend to use <p>&nbsp;</p>
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 03:43 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
You don't state where the <br/> is used in the text, but my understanding is that using <br/> as a scene break is a no-no. Is that what you are using it for? It's ok for in-line use.
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...ility_concerns

I tend to use <p>&nbsp;</p>
<br/> is mostly used like this...

<p class="copy">Introduction copyright © 1989 Hui Corporation<br/>Text copyright ©1956 Hui Corporation<br/>Republished in 2012<br/>All rights reserved.</p>
Old 07-26-2022, 03:56 PM   #9
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
<br/> is mostly used like this...

<p class="copy">Introduction copyright © 1989 Hui Corporation<br/>Text copyright ©1956 Hui Corporation<br/>Republished in 2012<br/>All rights reserved.</p>
Yep, that is my understanding also.
But I tend to remove that anyway and use...

<p class="copy">Introduction copyright © 1989 Hui Corporation</p>
<p class="copy">Text copyright ©1956 Hui Corporation</p>
<p class="copy">Republished in 2012</p>
<p class="copy">All rights reserved.</p>

I would love to know if there is any difference between the two methods and if one should be used over the other and why.
Old 07-26-2022, 04:14 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
Yep, that is my understanding also.
But I tend to remove that anyway and use...

<p class="copy">Introduction copyright © 1989 Hui Corporation</p>
<p class="copy">Text copyright ©1956 Hui Corporation</p>
<p class="copy">Republished in 2012</p>
<p class="copy">All rights reserved.</p>

I would love to know if there is any difference between the two methods and if one should be used over the other and why.
In the first case, the lines will be one after another with no space in between. In your case, the lines will have space in between because the CSS class copy has a top margin. You could create a new CSS class called copy1 that does not have the top margin and that would work.

I used to remove the <br/> when it splits lines, but I'm just don't want to do it. I do remove any <br/> that's used a line space.
Old 07-26-2022, 04:22 PM   #11
Karellen
Wizard

Quote:
In the first case, the lines will be one after another with no space in between. In your case, the lines will have space in between because the CSS class copy has a top margin.
Oh, of course. I did not think of that.
Thanks.
Old 07-26-2022, 06:02 PM   #12
enuddleyarbl
Guru

In general, I don't use <br/> or <p></p> for paragraph spacing. I see a lot of that in the books I'm reformatting and I tend to just remove them. Where I do use <br/> is like JSWolf did, above, in his copyright example.

In fiction epubs, I really haven't really run across a need for particular vertical spacing of paragraphs or other elements. That's why I'm constantly surprised by <br class="... elements for a large number of text sizes.

Earlier today, I ran across a book that had about 36 different classes for paragraphs (besides Calibre's automatically produced varieties). They used an awful lot of those classes in <br tags (I guess so the vertical spaces they wanted matched the rest of the paragraph lines).
Old 07-26-2022, 06:07 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
In general, I don't use <br/> or <p></p> for paragraph spacing. I see a lot of that in the books I'm reformatting and I tend to just remove them. Where I do use <br/> is like JSWolf did, above, in his copyright example.

In fiction epubs, I really haven't really run across a need for particular vertical spacing of paragraphs or other elements. That's why I'm constantly surprised by <br class="... elements for a large number of text sizes.

Earlier today, I ran across a book that had about 36 different classes for paragraphs (besides Calibre's automatically produced varieties). They used an awful lot of those classes in <br tags (I guess so the vertical spaces they wanted matched the rest of the paragraph lines).
That sounds awful. Who is the publisher of that eBook?
Old 07-26-2022, 07:40 PM   #14
enuddleyarbl
Guru

Quote:
That sounds awful. Who is the publisher of that eBook?
The book is "Necropolis" by Michael Dempsey. It was published in 2011 by Night Shade Books. The number of paragraph classes seems a tad excessive to me. But what really bothered me was that with their defaults, every character was something like 3/4 of normal size and the character spacing reduced (I think). I've included the main stylesheet if you're interested:

Code:
@namespace h "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";
.Apple-tab-span {
    white-space: pre-wrap
    }
.big {
    font-family: Helvetica;
    font-size: 2em;
    font-style: normal;
    font-variant: normal;
    font-weight: normal;
    line-height: normal;
    text-align: justify
    }
.calibre {
    font-size: 1.29167em;
    line-height: 1.2;
    margin-bottom: 0;
    margin-left: 5pt;
    margin-right: 5pt;
    margin-top: 0;
    padding-left: 0;
    padding-right: 0
    }
.calibre1 {
    display: block
    }
.calibre2 {
    }
.calibre3 {
    font-style: italic
    }
.calibre4 {
    }
.chapter {
    font-size: 1.54839em;
    margin-bottom: 18px;
    margin-left: 0;
    margin-right: 0;
    text-align: center
    }
.p {
    min-height: 58px;
    }
.p1 {
    }
.p10 {

font-size: 0.64516em;
    min-height: 13px;
    text-align: center;
    text-indent: 10.8px
    }
.p11 {

font-size: 0.77419em;
    margin-left: 18px;
    }
.p12 {

min-height: 14px;
    }
.p13 {

margin-top: 0
    }
.p14 {

min-height: 43px;
    text-align: justify;
    text-indent: 13.5px
    }
.p15 {

}
.p16 {
    font-size: 1.29032em;
    margin-bottom: 36px;
    }
.p17 {

text-indent: 0
    }
.p18 {

}
.p19 {

}
.p2 {
    }
.p20 {

}
.p21 {

}
.p22 {

}
.p23 {

}
.p24 {

}
.p25 {

}
.p26 {
    }
.p27 {
    }
.p28 {
    margin-left: 29px;
    text-indent: -9px
    }
.p29 {

margin-left: 27px;
    }
.p3 {
    min-height: 36px;
    }
.p30 {

}
.p31 {

}
.p32 {

}
.p33 {
    }
.p34 {

min-height: 15px
    }
.p4 {
    font-size: 1em;
    min-height: 22px;
    }
.p5 {
    min-height: 17px;
    }
.p6 {
    }
.p7 {

}
.p8 {

}
.p9 {

}
.s {
    letter-spacing: 0.2px;
    line-height: 1.2
    }
.s1 {
    letter-spacing: 0.2px
    }
.s10 {
    letter-spacing: 0.1px;
    }
.s11 {

font-size: 0.5em;
    }
.s2 {
    letter-spacing: 0.1px
    }
.s3 {

font-size: 0.83333em;
    }
.s4 {

}
.s5 {
    letter-spacing: 0.3px
    }
.s6 {

}
.s7 {
    letter-spacing: -0.1px
    }
.s8 {
    letter-spacing: 0.5px
    }
.s9 {
    text-decoration: underline
    }
Old 07-26-2022, 07:44 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
The book is "Necropolis" by Michael Dempsey. It was published in 2011 by Night Shade Books. The number of paragraph classes seems a tad excessive to me. But what really bothered me was that with their defaults, every character was something like 3/4 of normal size and the character spacing reduced (I think). I've included the main stylesheet if you're interested:

Code:
@namespace h "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";
.Apple-tab-span {
    white-space: pre-wrap
    }
.big {
    font-size: 2em;
    }
.calibre {
    margin-left: 5pt;
    margin-right: 5pt;
    padding-left: 0;
    padding-right: 0
    }
.calibre1 {
    }
.calibre2 {
    }
.calibre3 {
    font-style: italic
    }
.calibre4 {
    }
.chapter {
    }
.p {
    min-height: 58px;
    }
.p1 {
    }
.p10 {

}
.p11 {

}
.p12 {

}
.p13 {

margin-top: 0
    }
.p14 {

min-height: 43px;
    }
.p15 {

}
.p16 {
    margin-bottom: 36px;
    }
.p17 {

text-indent: 0
    }
.p18 {

}
.p19 {

}
.p2 {
    }
.p20 {

}
.p21 {

}
.p22 {

}
.p23 {

}
.p24 {

}
.p25 {

}
.p26 {
    }
.p27 {
    }
.p28 {
    margin-left: 29px;
    text-indent: -9px
    }
.p29 {

}
.p3 {
    min-height: 36px;
    }
.p30 {

}
.p31 {

}
.p32 {

}
.p33 {
    }
.p34 {

min-height: 15px
    }
.p4 {
    min-height: 22px;
    }
.p5 {
    min-height: 17px;
    }
.p6 {
    }
.p7 {

}
.p8 {

}
.p9 {

}
.s {
    }
.s1 {
    letter-spacing: 0.2px
    }
.s10 {
    }
.s11 {

font-size: 0.5em;
    }
.s2 {
    letter-spacing: 0.1px
    }
.s3 {

font-size: 0.83333em;
    }
.s4 {

}
.s5 {
    letter-spacing: 0.3px
    }
.s6 {

}
.s7 {
    letter-spacing: -0.1px
    }
.s8 {
    letter-spacing: 0.5px
    }
.s9 {
    text-decoration: underline
    }
This looks fairly easy to clean up this mess. You dump most of the classes and you can go from there rather easily.