Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-16-2019, 09:00 AM   #1
HbNledn
HbNledn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HbNledn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HbNledn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HbNledn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HbNledn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HbNledn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HbNledn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HbNledn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HbNledn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HbNledn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HbNledn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle paperwhite
What's next for E-readers?

Ereaders have been stuck on a very similar tech for years.
is there any new e-ink panel in the near future?
Are there recent developments on the color e-ink displays?
HbNledn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:01 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Why does there need to be a LOT of change in e-readers?
Scrolls were used for centuries. The differences was the content.

Bound books MOS (more of the same). What improved was mostly at the publishing end. Faster printing, color plates, faster binding, Printed covers. More uniform sizing (made Librarians happier ), all reducing production costs. The differences was the content, production and distribution

Then e-reading arrived. Devices were huge (desktop), then things improved down to hand held, then better screens for text, Better battery life (something the old ways did not use), then color. And lastly, cheaper manufacturing. The difference was again the content, and production paths. that could bypass centralized editing and printing.

Do we really need ultra high DPI? Those Ink Printed images were half-toned to avoid ink globs on mass produced books. Paper/velum had texture that affected resolution. I see little visual (text quality) difference between my first Astak and my current Kobo. Sure, I now have a lit page, a little less weight and storage for more books than I can read in a month without a trip to my Library (be it B&M or my desktop PC).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2019, 11:23 AM   #3
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
The hardware is as good as I need it to be except for possibly improved batteries. I can't think of any bells and whistles that I particularly want them to add. I DON'T want them to be made smaller (too hard to grip) or larger (won't fit in pockets). They could use improved software for library management. That I'm not really happy with.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:41 AM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
It's Not the e-reader that needs improved. It's the e-books Still way too many errors! Have Proof Readers gone by way of the Dodo Bird?
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:02 PM   #5
HbNledn
HbNledn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HbNledn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HbNledn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HbNledn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HbNledn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HbNledn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HbNledn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HbNledn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HbNledn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HbNledn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HbNledn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle paperwhite
I agree , e-readers are as good as it is. But it could be improved. A faster response is a minor but a handy improvement. Again better contrast would be an improvement.

Biggest improvement would be color e-ink. Since it would be possible to design different pages for books. As it is all books look the same.
HbNledn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2019, 01:48 PM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
The hardware is as good as I need it to be except for possibly improved batteries. I can't think of any bells and whistles that I particularly want them to add. I DON'T want them to be made smaller (too hard to grip) or larger (won't fit in pockets). They could use improved software for library management. That I'm not real.
A 6" reader that is waterproof and has color changing frontlight would be nice. I'm guessing that'll be the Paperwhite 5 or Clara 2.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 02:58 PM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The tradeoff that favors eink (marginally) is weight + battery since LCD can match most everything else. So the balance of power between the camps isn't going to change; eink isn't getting viable color or any new must have feature. And we're already at the point where "entry level" = backlit touchscreen. People who like LCD have ample choice of tablets and large phones and those who prefer eink have their choices. No compelling needs drive the market.

The technology doesn't look to get significantly better any time soon and neither do user needs. It's like tricycles: it's a small market that does what it needs to do at a fair enough price and doesn't show enough growth potential for anybody to throw R&D money at it.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 03:39 PM   #8
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I'd still like a smaller device than 6"... I mostly read in bed, lying down, and I cannot hold my kindle or kobo one handed (arthritis). 5" would be almost perfect. Front lit of course. And not 4:3. I have come to prefer a longer device rather than squarish. Comes from reading on my phone a lot. None of this will ever happen of course. Seems like everyone wants to go even bigger with their screens.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 03:50 PM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I'd still like a smaller device than 6"... I mostly read in bed, lying down, and I cannot hold my kindle or kobo one handed (arthritis). 5" would be almost perfect. Front lit of course. And not 4:3. I have come to prefer a longer device rather than squarish. Comes from reading on my phone a lot. None of this will ever happen of course. Seems like everyone wants to go even bigger with their screens.
Are you sure you can't read off LCD?

Cause you just described a phone: high resolution, color changing screen, well-lit, 5-6in screen, and 16x9 or more.
There are lots of phones you can buy SIM-less and use as mini tablets. Some are cheaper than eink readers.

Edit:
https://www.amazon.com/BLU-2018-Fact...p_ob_title_wld
Typical screen around 282 dpi, prices under $100.

Last edited by fjtorres; 06-16-2019 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:00 PM   #10
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Are you sure you can't read off LCD?

Cause you just described a phone: high resolution, color changing screen, well-lit, 5-6in screen, and 16x9 or more.
There are lots of phones you can buy SIM-less and use as mini tablets. Some are cheaper than eink readers.
I read on my phone but I'd kinda like to switch to an ereader of similar size.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 04:01 PM   #11
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Colour and larger screen size.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 04:18 PM   #12
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I read on my phone but I'd kinda like to switch to an ereader of similar size.
Any you find of those will be 4x3.
16x9 is a feature of video-focused devices.
Every once in a while somebody tries doing that and eink phone but the maeket isn't there.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ight=yotaphone

Or, if you believe in Indiegogo:

https://the-digital-reader.com/2019/...-e-ink-screen/
Old 06-16-2019, 05:06 PM   #13
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I don't really see any major advances on ereaders. Minor software updates, maybe a larger unit. What more do you need from a dedicated ereader?

My minor improvement would be more options on how to organize your ebooks, especially when the account is shared by multiple family members. It's pretty clunky the way it is and while that partly may be how I understand how to use it, I see plenty of complaints from you folks who DO know how to use it.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 05:12 PM   #14
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
My late sister had this problem. I got something like this for her and it worked fairly well with a touch screen. Didn't work at all with buttons. I used it recently after an injury left me bedridden for a couple of weeks and it worked well. There are lots of styles available of different things people have come up with. Etsy has quite a few as does Amazon. The origami covers work fine, but you have to raise it up several inches to read on your side. Worked pretty good just sitting it on my chest if I was lying on my back.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:42 PM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HbNledn View Post
I agree , e-readers are as good as it is. But it could be improved. A faster response is a minor but a handy improvement. Again better contrast would be an improvement.

Biggest improvement would be color e-ink. Since it would be possible to design different pages for books. As it is all books look the same.
There's an ongoing thread about ClearINK in the News forum. I've only been partly following it, but it looks like someone might be coming out with a ClearINK device next year. That said, I've got no idea what I would do with a color eInk reader. I like books looking the same on my eReader. I consider it a huge advantage to be able to pick a font I like and use it with any book.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-ink, ereaders, kindle, kobo