Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-06-2016, 11:34 AM   #121
vitorm
vitorm began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Thanks for all the help, knc1, as always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I had special offers disable themselves when I debricked a K5 and updated to official amazon firmware. During a support call I mentioned this to the amazon tech, who said "consider youself lucky and enjoy it". As I reported before, even amazon techs were referring folks to my simple debricking thread, especially after one of their official firmware updates bricked a buttload (126 gallons) of kindles, probably to save themselves from having to deal directly with the financial aspects of replacements. We quite literally saved them a "metric crap-ton" of money. That is probably why they condone (i.e. tolerate) our debricking image servers.
Then amazon should mirror those files in their server.
And they should have granted you lifetime prime membership and free new Kindle builds.

Last edited by vitorm; 07-06-2016 at 11:36 AM.
vitorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:49 AM   #122
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitorm View Post
Thanks for all the help, knc1, as always.

Then amazon should mirror those files in their server.
And they should have granted you lifetime prime membership and free new Kindle builds.
That would be promoting rather than condoning, and their legal department may get involved. Too much risk for the amazon support techs to suggest that to their superiors, or to set that system up without formal authorization. Easier to "look the other way" with a wink and a nod (i.e. "quiet consent").

This falls under Grace Hopper's rule:
Quote:
"It is often easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission." ~Grace Hopper.
EDIT: I had the pleasure of meeting Grace Hopper in person, and she gave me one of her famous "one-nanosecond piece of wire" signature props.

EDIT2: Regarding prime membership and getting free models of their latest hardware, my brother has no technical training, is not interested in technical hobbies, and yet by providing minimal support in a Motorola cellphone forum, the send him EVERY latest product they have, as they have for many years, even when he was offline for a long time due to medical issues. And he is still getting all the latest stuff. Whereas I actually invent stuff and share it for free, I had a donate button on a website that went viral (millions of views), and though I only asked for a ONE DOLLAR donation (paypal button) if anybody found this useful, I DID NOT RECEIVE A SINGLE DONATION! The world is not particularly fair. Nor did I ever get anything free from amazon, or anybody else. I did get promises of sponsorship and products from a company whose young founder is now a billionaire, but they did not follow through.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-06-2016 at 03:06 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2016, 01:51 PM   #123
Yourcat
Groupie
Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.

Device: PW3 5.6.5-usbnet
It would be nice to have a linux boot image with all needed firmwares and tools to offer a one-click jailbreak. Anyhow looking at the recent developments one would need to update it quite often.
Yourcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:01 PM   #124
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourcat View Post
It would be nice to have a linux boot image with all needed firmwares and tools to offer a one-click jailbreak. Anyhow looking at the recent developments one would need to update it quite often.
This will all settle down quite fast.

There are thousands reading and hundreds trying the procedure (even if they don't report confirmation).

That is a lot of eyes to spot problems.
One of the real powers of open development.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:16 PM   #125
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
This will all settle down quite fast.

There are thousands reading and hundreds trying the procedure (even if they don't report confirmation).

That is a lot of eyes to spot problems.
One of the real powers of open development.
With 479 downloads so far at mediafire (210GB total), plus whaterver you have on your servers, we are approaching thousand(s) of DGA-1 tests done or in progress, so the reported "bricks" are quite rare in comparison, and your addition of the "factory reset" step seems to prevent such rare bricking in the future. That would be about 2,000 eyes to spot problems...

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-06-2016 at 03:20 PM.
Advert
Old 07-06-2016, 03:42 PM   #126
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJordan View Post
That means something bad will happen if the kindle is discharged ? (This is not my case).

I feel alone :'(
Why chance it?
PS: Keep your's on a charger also - we don't know what is going on inside the device.

- - - -

Nope, not forgotten about.
I am almost done with the chores that called me away today, GM is back from the doctor, NiLuJe has returned (from the beach or wherever) and we expect eschwartz to turn up sometime today.

You just lucked out in finding out about a 'corner case' we had not thought to test.

At this point the choices look like:
*) Recover it over a serial port connection.
*) Arrange for me to fix it for you.
*) Let me replace it for you.

We can discuss the specifics over PMs.

I think we have one other 'brick' out there, I am not sure, I lost track.

I do know we have one user looking at their new, White PW-3 that is upto the 'hotfix' step and NiLuJe is working on getting that to work for a White PW-3.

You are neither alone nor forgotten.

Last edited by knc1; 07-06-2016 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:59 PM   #127
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
With 479 downloads so far at mediafire (210GB total), plus whaterver you have on your servers, we are approaching thousand(s) of DGA-1 tests done or in progress, so the reported "bricks" are quite rare in comparison, and your addition of the "factory reset" step seems to prevent such rare bricking in the future. That would be about 2,000 eyes to spot problems...
About half of that so far today (110GB - maybe 250 downloads).
We should have 1,000 installations by the time we hit the start of day #4 tonight.

One, White, PW-3 waiting for a new version of the 'hotfix'
One, PW-3, solidly bricked and needing repair, it will probably need u-boot level recovery.
(and maybe one other, that I have lost track of).

Last edited by knc1; 07-06-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:04 PM   #128
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
About half of that so far today (110GB - maybe 250 downloads).
We should have 1,000 installations by the time we hit the start of day #4 tonight.

One, White, PW-3 waiting for a new version of the 'hotfix'
One, PW-3, solidly bricked and needing repair, it will probably need u-boot level recovery.
(and maybe one other, that I have lost track of).
Your downloads will surely spike if mediafire imposes that 10 downloads per file per week limit like they did when the "simple debricking" was at its peak. Shall I put NiLuJe's servers before yours in the list, to minimize your bandwidth costs?

We need more server locations and more bandwidth load sharing to prevent server shutdowns. Though we will lose count of downloads, perhaps torrents may be needed as a load-sharing backup plan if servers beome bandwidth-starved.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-06-2016 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:10 PM   #129
knc1
Going Viral

Check with NiLuJe first - he did say his costs where half of mine, but he didn't mention if his account had a download limit.

Mine has a 1TB limit - about a week or ten days worth before I have turn them off until the 21st of the month (next billing period).
(I have an on/off button on each file)
Old 07-06-2016, 04:13 PM   #130
geekmaster

I have no idea what my bandwidth limit is, just that I am using 5GB of 50GB total storage capacity.

EDIT: They claim unlimited bandwidth: http://freebies.about.com/od/compute...ire-review.htm
"Must sign on to your account once a year to prevent expiration." Oops. These files will go away within a year after I die, so somebody needs to copy all the files at the URLs in the pastebin to their own free mediafire account, and perhaps copy the pastebin as well (and link the new pastebin here and in my "simple debricking" thread when it needs to be updated with new files). I would like memory of my existence to be kept alive as long as possible, so please mention me in your pastebin copy. My real name is Rob Wentworth. Thanks.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-06-2016 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:03 PM   #131
Bruffandino
Bruffandino began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Hi All,

I just want to report the my PW3 bricked after downgrade. Fortunately I managed to debrick with the DO_FACTORY_RESTORE method. Now I see firmware version 5.6.1.1
I carefully followed the first page istructions, doing a full reset before downgrading.
Let me know if I can help you with any relevant information.

Meanwhile, what do you suggest to do now? Should I proceed with the jailbreak, or upgrading to the original firmware?

Thanks for your work!
Bruffandino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:13 PM   #132
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Please plug your kindle into a wall charger and check back after while. The developer is on an errand.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:22 PM   #133
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Please plug your kindle into a wall charger and check back after while. The developer is on an errand.
The developer asked us to cover for him in his absence. I will attempt that now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruffandino View Post
Hi All,

I just want to report the my PW3 bricked after downgrade. Fortunately I managed to debrick with the DO_FACTORY_RESTORE method. Now I see firmware version 5.6.1.1
I carefully followed the first page istructions, doing a full reset before downgrading.

Meanwhile, what do you suggest to do now? Should I proceed with the jailbreak, or upgrading to the original firmware?

Thanks for your work!
It is good that the DO_FACTORY_RESTORE worked. Perhaps we want to make that a MANDATORY step just before the downgrade? It needs further research. However, it seems to be a rare event in any case. Thanks for reporting this.

I would jailbreak with Branch Delay's latest jailbreak, as shown in the first post in this thread. Then install other things as suggested, ending with KUAL and your favorite extensions. I should go post my Kindle Video Player KUAL extension now, instead of browsing these forums. The first thing I did after using this procedure is to play "Big Buck Bunny" on my freshly downgraded kindle. Please let us know how the rest of the jailbreak process works for you. Thanks.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:58 PM   #134
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruffandino View Post
Hi All,

Thanks for your work!
You have completed the downgrade step (with some extra hassle, but your done with that now)
Do the next two steps in the list (jb and then hotfix).

Which takes you to the last step - update if desired, to the version of your choice.

- - - -

Yes, I would like more information (the full 'reset' **should** have prevented the brick).
Give me awhile to make a list of questions.
None of the developers here has been able to duplicate the problem.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:04 PM   #135
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Thanks.

I will make up a questionnaire and link to it at that step of the directions.
This 'hung Kindle' problem **should** have been fixed by the reset.

@Bruffandino: see post immediately before this one.

Last edited by knc1; 07-06-2016 at 07:07 PM.