Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
country0129
Country0129
country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, PC
HTML code Appearing in Text

I recently downloaded several Epub's, polished them, and converted them to Mobi's. One of the books included, it seems, all of the html code in the text at the beginning of the book and, it seems, at the beginning of the chapters.

I have a recipe for processing my books:
1. Download books to a dedicated folder.
2. Import the books to Calibre.
3. Update/download metadata
4. Resize covers
5. Polish books (Epub, AZW)
6. Convert books to Mobi
7. Save to external back-up disk

I did notice that this particular book did not complete the polishing procedure, for I should normally have Epub,Mobi,Original Epub as file types. This one retained the Epub format, but I received no error message while polishing the book.

Is there something I'm missing?

How can I correct the formatting of the book.

Thanks for your help, and please send email to country0129@yahoo.com with any solutions.
country0129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
If you see HTML like code:
Notice I said: Like.

Something was malformed and HTML tags probably got converted to entities (ie <P&gt somewhere along the way.

The page may still be malformed, which is why a conversion and/or polish failed to complete.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
country0129
Country0129
country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The text still appears in proper order after the HTML code; so I can still read it, albeit somewhat interrupted sorting through the extraneous code. So, no way to fix it, just endure it?
Old 08-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by country0129 View Post
The text still appears in proper order after the HTML code; so I can still read it, albeit somewhat interrupted sorting through the extraneous code. So, no way to fix it, just endure it?
Careful editing.
Sigil and some crafty REGEX to remove sets of entities if the rest is fine.

Why not ask the publisher for a clean copy?
Old 08-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #5
country0129
Country0129

I'm not advanced enough in my registry edit procedure nor knowledgeable with the python usage to do all that. 15,662 books and counting managed wonderfully by Calibre. I'd say it's an amazing software! Thank you, Mr. Ducks. I think I will endure.
Advert
Old 08-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

REGEX
is Regular Expressions, a search and replace form

1 book I would understand having been damaged

All (15K) books , something else has had its evil ways (and I have no clue as to what or even if it is fixable).
Old 08-05-2013, 07:26 AM   #7
country0129
Country0129

Dunno what happened.

Uploaded to my Kindle KB, and the corruption remained. Hit a wrong key, and from the middle of the book, it went back to the beginning, frustrating me in having to muddle through all the code again to return to my reading place; so I closed the book out and did something else.

Sometime later, next day or so, I opened Calibre, decided to read the book in the native reader, for I could use the scroll bar to return to where I was reading, and, lo and behold! It got well. All the code had disappeared. This is probably the most unusual thing I've seen Calibre do, but it was a good thing.

I still maintain that Calibre is the most innovative and useful software on the planet.