Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-31-2013, 02:42 AM   #91
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Seems it was too late yesterday. Forgot one important point

Is this crash reproducible -> yes
does it always happen when switching libraries ->yes

In addition: It happen only one time for each library. When I start Calibre again, it works with the actual selected database
As test library I use 2 different Databases in addition of the one-book library. One is a clone of an existing database the other one is a play library with 32 empty books.

As the computer leaves this morning my home (it wasn't my own, I did only an new installation on it), I setup a new VM-Ware Workstation machine (with actual service release) with a fresh installation of WIN-XP SP3 and check it again right now. The error occurs in this machine like I saw it on the computer yesterday. It happens with a library connected via share a host library (clone of my normal database), the initial installation library in the VM-machine and a small test library on the desktop, all the time by switching from one to another library. When I start Calibre after the crash again, Calibre works and I can open books or do other activities in the library.
Let me know, if you need a metadata.db. I will upload it then to zippy-share and send you a link as PM
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:09 AM   #92
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@davidfor: Unfortunately, exception details on windows are entirely useless. What I need is some way to reproduce the crash. I think what's in common is that both you and divingduck are using 32 bit versions of calibre. I will see if I can reproduce it with that (in my testing I have only been using the 64 bit version).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2013, 04:06 AM   #93
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Regarding the crash on switch library, I was able to reproduce it in a 32bit win xp VM. The problem seems to have been in the sqlite wrapper (apsw) that the new db uses, it was out of date in the 32 bit calibre build. Updating it seems to have fixed the crashes, at least, I can no longer reproduce them.

The updated windows 32 bit builds are at: http://calibre-ebook.com/downloads/betas/ as usual
Old 07-31-2013, 04:39 AM   #94
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Kovid, works for me too. Thanks.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:49 AM   #95
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Working here as well. I was able to switch library without error and created a couple of new ones as well.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2013, 10:31 AM   #96
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Testing - it works very nice, but merging books seems to be slower.

Thank you Kovid.

I have installed the beta version on Linux.

I have had installed full version, so I figured out I have all dependencies. I have just downloaded the beta archive and unpacked it over files at default location /opt/Calibre.

So far, it seems to be much faster than the previous version. I have very large library and I am delighted to see the speed-up when searching and sorting results.
You have sped up my computer more than my upgrading from Intel Pentium 4, 2GB RAM to Intel Core i7 6GB RAM ;-).
My main reason for upgrading was my Calibre library response time.

I have noticed that when I am merging two books, the process is noticeably slower.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:43 AM   #97
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@kacir: Glad to hear it. By merging two books you mean the Merge book records operation under Edit metadata?
Old 07-31-2013, 02:44 PM   #98
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@kacir: Glad to hear it. By merging two books you mean the Merge book records operation under Edit metadata?
I select a book, then press Ctrl and select another, press M, so the records and formats are merged into one record.
I am just about to test the newest version from
31-Jul-2013 13:04
Old 07-31-2013, 08:07 PM   #99
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Exclamation Observation

Scenario : I drop a new format file (i.e one that doesn't currently exist) onto the Book Details panel

olddb - Format list its updated with new format shown in alphanumeric sort position
newdb - Format list is updated with new format appended at end of list - when Book Details gets refreshed the list of formats will be in alphanumeric sort order

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-31-2013 at 08:13 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:01 AM   #100
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@BR: Fixed in next build
Old 08-02-2013, 05:09 AM   #101
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

calibre 0.9.42 contains the following fixes:

1) Fix duplicates during adding causing a blank row to appear in the book list
2) Fix formats list in book details panel not always sorted alphabetically

There are no remaining known bugs. Still may be a few places where the newdb is a little slower than the olddb, these will get ironed out with time, it basically requires re-writing those bits of code to use the new api directly.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #102
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre 0.9.42 contains the following ...

There are no remaining known bugs. ...
So can we - betatesters - just install the mainstream version, or should we continue to use betas from
http://calibre-ebook.com/downloads/betas/ ?
Old 08-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #103
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
So can we - betatesters - just install the mainstream version, or should we continue to use betas from
http://calibre-ebook.com/downloads/betas/ ?
Install the mainstream version, it includes the newdb code.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:39 AM   #104
Patricia1066
Zealot
Patricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kindle PW 10th gen, Kindle Fire 7 9th gen, Kindle KB 3rd gen
The 0.9.42 [new_db] works very well on Mac Mountain Lion 10.8.4
3 Libraries, 1297 books, 567 and 137 books in each library

Reading Blackberry Playbook db used to take a minimum of 5 mins sometimes 12; today it took 0 sec to Get device information; 7 secs to Get list of books.

Thanks for a wonderful update.

FanfictionDownloader is working well.

Last edited by Patricia1066; 08-03-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Patricia1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:15 AM   #105
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@Patricia1066: Glad to hear it