Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-21-2020, 03:43 PM   #28951
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Which was, as expected, most enjoyable.

Next up: Pillar of Fire by Judith Tarr. Another random choice from my unread books, part of a Storybundle I bought back in July 2016.
Which I'm a third of the way through, and I'm going to have to abandon it.

It's just historical fiction, set in ancient Egypt, around the time of Akhenaten and Nefertiti.

But it doesn't grab my interest enough. And it isn't accurate enough (which is understandable, as the evidence is poor, but it gets some things wrong which are now know).

[EDIT: I skimmed the rest of the story. I shouldn't have bothered. It's actually a fairly plain retelling of the exodus, with the author's own take on the history of some of the characters.]

Next up: The Trials of Rumpole by John Mortimer. The second book of stories.

Last edited by pdurrant; 06-23-2020 at 06:23 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 05:02 PM   #28952
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
I just finished The Library Book by Susan Orlean, which I thoroughly enjoyed and highly recommend.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2020, 04:49 AM   #28953
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I just finished The Library Book by Susan Orlean, which I thoroughly enjoyed and highly recommend.
I was reading that too and love it, but The Great Influenza by John M. Barry came in on my NYPL hold, so I am reading that now. I will get back to Susan Orlean afterwards.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 02:04 PM   #28954
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post
I was reading that too and love it, but The Great Influenza by John M. Barry came in on my NYPL hold, so I am reading that now. I will get back to Susan Orlean afterwards.
For a different take, The Library Book was a DNF for me. My one-star review at Goodreads has had 43 likes. Takes all kinds!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 12:35 AM   #28955
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
For a different take, The Library Book was a DNF for me. My one-star review at Goodreads has had 43 likes. Takes all kinds!
That was on my list of "when I can get it from the library" books. Until I read your review! Thank you.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2020, 06:21 PM   #28956
mirage
Zealot
mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: OnePlus 6 phone, Kobo Clara HD, Libra H2O
Quote:
I enjoyed it, too.
mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:28 AM   #28957
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: The Trials of Rumpole by John Mortimer. The second book of stories.
Which was delightful, as expected.

Next up: another random choice: Fantasy Magazine #3. Part of a bundle of the magazine issue bought in June 2015.

(Random choice was actually a later issue, but in the case of series, I'm always going to drop back to the next unread one.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 06:49 AM   #28958
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I am listening to the incomparable Jesse L. Martin read James Baldwin's The Fire Next Time.

I am reading the next Alan Hunter Gently novel on my Kobo - Gently Continental.

I am about to start Henry James' The Turn of the Screw for A Public Space's continued reading club. We read War and Peace during the pandemic and the experience was amazing, so I am looking forward to carrying on with this.

I cannot get the New Leaf book club selection (Percy Jackson) anywhere and I have bought too many books this month to justify shelling out for a book I don't really have any interest in. I'm a little allergic to YA and I have a lot of other things on my plate for July.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:05 AM   #28959
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A few recent reads for me.

The last in Bernard Cornwell’s Sharpe series, Sharpe’s Devil, ended on a sour note. Sharpe must be in his dotage as he’s oblivious to clunky plot twists and Harper’s even worse off, an obese buffoon who serves only to interject “God save Ireland” and cross himself at intervals. Sharpe also falls into the trap of, “Yeah, a monster, but great guy on a personal level.” Better to have left it at Waterloo. That said, while I found the books in the series to be inconsistent, I did
get a lot of entertainment overall from it.

On the other hand, I tore through two excellent memoirs:

Growing Seasons by Samuel D. Haynes, an account of his depression boyhood in the Midwest and, even better, Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal? by Jeanette Winterson and her emotionally and financially impoverished upbringing in the Midlands. Both coincidentally dealt with the absence of the birth mother and a stepmother/adoptive mother who did not fill the void. Books would save them both.

Last edited by issybird; 06-24-2020 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:02 AM   #28960
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
A few recent reads for me.

The last in Bernard Cornwell’s Sharpe series, Sharpe’s Devil, ended on a sour note. Sharpe must be in his dotage as he’s oblivious to clunky plot twists and Harper’s even worse off, an obese buffoon who serves only to interject “God save Ireland” and cross himself at intervals. Sharpe also falls into the trap of, “Yeah, a monster, but great guy on a personal level.” Better to have left it at Waterloo. That said, while I found the books in the series to be inconsistent, I did
get a lot of entertainment overall from it.

On the other hand, I tore through two excellent memoirs:

Growing Seasons by Samuel D. Haynes, an account of his depression boyhood in the Midwest and, even better, Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal? by Jeannette Winterson and her emotionally and financially impoverished upbringing in the Midlands. Both coincidentally dealt with the absence of the birth mother and a stepmother/adoptive mother who did not fill the void. Books would save them both.
The Winterson was a five star read for me.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:08 AM   #28961
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
The Winterson was a five star read for me.
Five-star for me also. I didn’t see your review until I added it myself; otherwise, I might have got to it sooner!
Old 06-24-2020, 11:02 AM   #28962
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I've been reading out of my typical zone a bit lately. I read Glendon Swarthout's They Came to Cordura, and Hombre by Elmore Leonard. And by "out of my typical zone", I mean things I would normally watch but probably not read.

I preferred Swarthout's book over Leonard's, but the reverse would be true for the respective movies.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 01:36 PM   #28963
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
My review of The One (#Selection 3), by Kiera Cass:-

Spoiler:
The work of art I most enjoyed consuming used to be The Beatles's number 1s. That reality has been replaced by another one, namely The One. I really think so, I believe so. It was a wrench to delete the copy of this One without rereading it immediately.

Reread it I must. It's always unwelcome to see the memories of your favorite books fade away. But on a lighter side, it's great to see the remaining memories become rich like fine wine in the reader's mind.

Whenever people talk, as I've witnessed, of romance books, emphasis is rarely laid on the twists. But here it was an exception. At the same time, the author masked its used tropes to great effect, making the story seamless in its transition from the start. The One is the best romance I've ever read. It has gained my respect quietly. The best magic is not flash and thunder, but it's the germinating of growing, happy, and breathing reading experiences.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:37 AM   #28964
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Reading Nightscape by Stephen R. George. Best 80p I ever spent.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 11:50 AM   #28965
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Just finished reading The Shooting at Chateau Rock, the latest Bruno, Chief of Police novel from Martin Walker. Delightful, as always. And the audio version, narrated by Robert Ian MacKenzie, was also superb.

Now, back to Tales of the City, by Armistead Maupin, which I am quite enjoying.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote