Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 04-11-2010, 02:43 AM   #31
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura81 View Post
EDIT2: I finally got the book working how I want but honestly I still prefer the Adobe epub reader to coolreader. Maybe if coolreader would keep my settings it would be good but it won't.
Are you reading from an SD card instead of from internal memory? That is one thing that I have not tried, but when I read from the internal memory I have not seen my settings revert the way that you describe. I guess one other difference is that I am using the experimental Lbook firmware, so the settings reversion may have been fixed in a later release of CoolReader? I am sorry that it is not working for you, when it seems to work just great for me.

One other thing that you can try if you are interested. When I first started experimenting with using CoolReader for EPUB, I did not realize that CoolReader could be instructed to ignore the internal CSS in EPUB, so I attacked the problem in a different way. EPUB is just a ZIP file, so I unZIPed the EPUB file with 7-ZIP and just removed the internal CSS file from the EPUB ZIP archive. That way there is no conflicting CSS style information, and my CoolReader settings were the only style settings available to CoolReader. That way worked very nicely too, but I considered that to be just a work around, and was happy to find the CoolReader settings to ignore the internal CSS in an EPUB.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:21 AM   #32
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
I am reading off an SD card... I will try to put an epub fb2 on the internal memory and see if that fixes the problem. I suppose I could look at unzipping the epub but I'll leave that as a last resort!
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:56 PM   #33
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Has anyone noticed their books seem to open a bit slower with the March firmware? I'm not sure if it is really opening slower, or if it's just my imagination. I'm opening an epub (not in CoolReader) and it's a large file (1.65MB), and it seems to be opening slower than when I had the December Firmware. I haven't had any issues with it locking up though, as some people have mentioned. There have been times I thought it was locking up when my books opened slowly, but they eventually opened. I'm trying to decide if I should keep the March firmware, to go back to December... I like the ability to read .rtf books, but it's not that big of a deal to convert them to epub with Calibre...

Thanks!
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:54 AM   #34
KarateMonkey
Connoisseur
KarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litter

Device: Astak Pocket Pro, Sony PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura81 View Post
EDIT: Tried what you recommended above but it just keeps reverting back to the embedded style. That would probably be fine if this book had been formatted well but it hasn't been. Even in Adobe epub reader it sucks.

EDIT2: I finally got the book working how I want but honestly I still prefer the Adobe epub reader to coolreader. Maybe if coolreader would keep my settings it would be good but it won't.
This tripped me up on my first couple times playing around with coolreader too. Once you make all the changes you want don't just back out of the menu like you do in other menus on the Pocket Pro. You have to hit the OK button to accept all the changes.
KarateMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:08 PM   #35
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarateMonkey View Post
This tripped me up on my first couple times playing around with coolreader too. Once you make all the changes you want don't just back out of the menu like you do in other menus on the Pocket Pro. You have to hit the OK button to accept all the changes.
Very good point!!! I had forgotten about that.
You do not get the changes unless you OK the changes.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:45 AM   #36
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
I've had no more time to experiment yet (got a new phone and having hassles with that too!) but next time I'm playing with it I will make sure I press ok! Though I think I did... but damned if I can remember.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:06 PM   #37
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear All:

The new revised firmware upgrade is dated April 2, 2010 officially. It is up now on: www.theEZreader.com under "support".

--snip--

This firmware upgrade is for the 5 inch Pocket PRO. The 6 inch EZ Reader Basic firmware upgrade should be ready the end of next week.
Is there any news on the firmware upgrade for the 6" EZ Reader? I just checked the website and it still lists the Dec. 09 version.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:40 PM   #38
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Karen, we look every day for the FTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Is there any news on the firmware upgrade for the 6" EZ Reader? I just checked the website and it still lists the Dec. 09 version.
Dear Karen:

The factory told us they were doing the 6 inch firmware upgrade and would put it up via FTP for Astak. But... nothing yet. We are looking into it.

I am sorry for the delay... but the delay is not Astak. We are waiting to start testing but do not have it yet.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:00 AM   #39
cloggy
Connoisseur
cloggy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-T1
Hi Robert, despite your efforts, I've installed and played with OpenInkpot and, as ePUB is my preferred book type, the flexibility of FBReader has decided to stay with it and not to use a new Hanlin firmware.

Many thanks anyway for your dedication and sharing with us the information about the new firmware for the 6" version.

regards,
Dick
cloggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:22 PM   #40
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cloggy< thank you for posting!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloggy View Post
Hi Robert, despite your efforts, I've installed and played with OpenInkpot and, as ePUB is my preferred book type, the flexibility of FBReader has decided to stay with it and not to use a new Hanlin firmware.

Many thanks anyway for your dedication and sharing with us the information about the new firmware for the 6" version.

regards,
Dick
Dear Dick:

I appreciate the note.

I am personally dying to get the new 6 inch firmware upgrade... but I am happy you are happy.

I will try again for more info!!
Old 06-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #41
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

So...am I correct in assuming that the factory has decided not to bother with the firmware upgrade for the 6" basic model since the release of the newer model is approaching? I'd like to stay with Astak firmware if for no other reason than the support issue, but I also really want a chance to try out the newer version of CoolReader that will read ePUB.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:13 PM   #42
Robertb

Karen, I am more confused than you!

Quote:
So...am I correct in assuming that the factory has decided not to bother with the firmware upgrade for the 6" basic model since the release of the newer model is approaching? I'd like to stay with Astak firmware if for no other reason than the support issue, but I also really want a chance to try out the newer version of CoolReader that will read ePUB.
Things have been messy lately between our beloved factory and Astak. They want Astak to greatly sell more units and Astak cannot at the price point we have.

I use to be in daily communication with the factory; but the Project Manager felt he needed to handle this himself only. The poor guy's wife is having a baby any minute and rightfully is worried.

When I ask him he says wait until he places the next order. There were major problems with the 5 inch firmware upgrades in March and April , 2010. That stopped all work on the 6 inch firmware upgrade.

I am sure word will come soon!
Old 06-30-2010, 08:02 PM   #43
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
I suggest you keep an Astak firmware copy and then use the lBook one. It has the latest support for CoolReader. Check lBook V3 in the wiki for the link. If you need support then reload and verify your problem with official Astak firmware before calling support.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:49 AM   #44
KarenH
Addict

Thanks, Dale. I always keep firmware backups, so that's not an issue. I've tried the lbook and Tirwal firmware in the past and have had some issues with both, but I'll try again with a more current version.