Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

View Poll Results: What features do you want on new devices (choose all that apply)
Wi-Fi 27 28.13%
3g 5 5.21%
6 inch (choose either 6 inch or nine inch) 49 51.04%
9 inch (choose either 6 inch or nine inch) 32 33.33%
Touch Screen 33 34.38%
Do NOT want Wi-Fi or 3G, hook to computer is fine 49 51.04%
hard keyboard (not on screen but on device body) 9 9.38%
soft keyboard (not on device body but on the screen) 34 35.42%
Choice of colors (red, green, blue, etc.) 30 31.25%
Fastest possible controller and processor (SPEED) 66 68.75%
Dictionary Support 59 61.46%
Hyperlinks 43 44.79%
Visible Clock (with its own battery) 28 29.17%
Quality crush-resistant case included 42 43.75%
Save me bucks and let me buy the case myself 28 29.17%
8,000 pages to a single charge (E-Ink) 69 71.88%
10-14 hours battery life and backlit is plenty 10 10.42%
Black and white Grade "A" screen 47 48.96%
Must have a color screen 8 8.33%
It must weigh under 10 ounces 41 42.71%
10 ounces to 1 pound is fine with me 20 20.83%
Over a pound will be just fine!! 1 1.04%
Sealed-in battery is just fine! 10 10.42%
Must be USER-Replaceable rechargeable battery 58 60.42%
SD card slot is absolutely critical to me 68 70.83%
No SD card slot 3 3.13%
Might be willing to pay only $150-$199 tops 34 35.42%
Might be willing to pay $200-$250 with features 29 30.21%
I need SIZE!! I am willing to pay $399+ for 9 inch 6 6.25%
I need a 9 inch that costs under $350 (less features) 14 14.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2010, 03:58 PM   #46
booknut
Zealot
booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: PW1 + PW2, NOOK HD
What I really really want...

...is the ability to search the HD or SD card for books without having to connect to PC...
booknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:29 PM   #47
SaraD
Groupie
SaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with others

Device: Sony 650, Basic Kindle 7th generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraD View Post
No, there is no way to ruggedize a piece of glass. But I keep hoping that somebody is going to come up with a plastic screen that is much more durable or a glass screen that is much less expensive and drops the costs. Or maybe I am finally going to have to give that up as being too far into the future.
I finally did enough reading to find where I read about a tougher screen. The MobileRead wiki about SiPix! I've copied the 2 most relevant statements from the list of advantages.

Flexible e-Paper: < 2 cm bending radius
Durable: No glass, endures > 1290 PSI (The current AUO manufactured touch screen devices have a glass backing)

So no, it is not yet possible to have a super durable screen since they all still have the glass backing, but I feel better that I figured out where I got the idea that they were almost here. Oh well. Hopefully SiPix will still be less expensive than what we currently have, but we'll find out when the new toys come out in a few more months. An article on www.e-reader-info.com that I found stated that Jinke will have a few models using the SiPix screens, but that news was from January so not "news" at all.
SaraD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:51 PM   #48
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Maybe I misunderstand

Quote:
Originally Posted by booknut View Post
...is the ability to search the HD or SD card for books without having to connect to PC...
Dear Booknut:

The Pocket PRO does allow you to view all the books on your SD card without needing to connect to a computer. There is also a search function on the Pocket PRO that came via firmware upgrade.

In any case, I am pleased to see you on the forum!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:00 PM   #49
hch568
Enthusiast
hch568 began at the beginning.

Device: IPad2, EZRead Touch, Garmin-Asus M10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
You'd think so, but I am a long time user of PDA's, phones, mp3/4 players, and now eBook readers, and I realise I have NEVER replaced an internal battery. I have always moved on to a newer device long before the battery needs replacing.

Exchangeable battery (with a separate charger) is very important to me!! For mp3 player it would be a must!! I'm also a long time user of pda, phone, dc, digital recorder, and many other 3c products, and I hate to wait for the recharging, it is really inconvenient and a bother! If the rechargeable battery is the common sort that can be easily bought in the store would be best.

In addition to exchangeable battery with separate wall-charger. I would prefer my next E-Reader to have:

1. B/W e-ink/e-paper reader (8-16 gray scale), at least 1-2GB internal storage/memory space with 16-32GB SD/miniSD/microSD support

2. format support: pdf, txt, epub, htm/html, lit, doc/docx/rtf, prc/pdb, as many as possible.

3. easy to use (I hate to "study" manual before I can read/turn page/search/organize/browsing...), so with some important buttons you should put recognizable symbols denoting the function/usage. #1-#8 is just too ambiguous to me.

4. the button shouldn't be spaced too tightly (mp3/mp4 usually has this kind of user-unfriendliness).

5. lightweight (for a 6" EReader, better be less than 200g)

6. easy to use in-text dictionary (English-English) support

7. protective cover included (a plus)

8. touch screen (not necessarily as long as I can search/check dictionary easily with the sticks/buttons) with a stylus

9. note taking/hi-lighter/note-hilight eraser function (a plus)

8. supporting Traditional Chinese character/coding

Most of all: battery and user-friendliness!
hch568 is offline   Reply With Quote