Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-27-2023, 12:17 PM   #31
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Surprisingly enough, I never did.
Although I did have a lot of fun with the 30 kV out of old color TVs.
There are times when I wonder whether surviving our youthful experimentation would qualify as a miracle.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 01:01 PM   #32
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I mistyped. UK Flag = USA #6.
Need new glasses.
My source:
http://www.blaukatz.com/tables/basic-round-cells/

There was a much smaller cell with thread on the case designed to heat a wire hot enough to light the gas stove/fire/lamp
U14 109.5mm tall 51.2 dia, threaded top
Attachment 202313
Attachment 202314

An old #6 Flag
Two of these would run your ereader for a long time

Attachment 202316
Old hand crank (Magneto) Telephones used to have a couple of those in the case. Many rural locations did not have regular power in the early days and the phone needed local 'Talk Battery' help on longer lines.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 01:09 PM   #33
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
When I was about that age, I also made an arc lamp. My father severely lectured me on safety, sloppy construction and general idiocy. There were are times when I look back and wonder how I made it into and through my teens without severe injury.
Jacobs ladders from old Neon Sign or Oil burner transformers.
Cooking Hot Dogs using 2 nails (on either end) and a suicide cord (Power cord with alligator clips on the other end)

Ah! The good old days when Science class instructors talked or demonstrated about these things.

We survived, because we learned what not to do AND WHY! Now days it is always someone else's fault if you manage to injure yourself.
Old 06-27-2023, 03:20 PM   #34
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Cooking Hot Dogs using 2 nails (on either end) and a suicide cord (Power cord with alligator clips on the other end).
Oh, I've done that. But it ends up tasting metallic unless you use something better than nails.
In crappy motels I used one of those immersion coffee heaters.
They were about 150 Watts and couldn't really boil anything bigger than a coffee cup.
Still, if you took a container (even plastic), wrapped it up in lots of towels you could boil a quart of water (eventually) for hot dogs.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 03:31 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm curious if there will be a way to keep waterproofing with replaceable batteries.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 03:49 PM   #36
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm curious if there will be a way to keep waterproofing with replaceable batteries.
There is. It's trivial and common. A 3.5mm jack socket or USB-C is harder but regularly done.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 04:04 PM   #37
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It simply starts with design choices.
I have a number of Headlamp and flashlights that have rubber seals on the battery caps. IMHO it is important that the o-ring choice is a COMMON (found in the O-ring drawer at a local Hardware) size.
My objections to the o-ring in a door groove, is they are 1)Custom length (circumference). 2)Easily damaged (they tend to not stay put during cover replacement) .
IMHO compartment isolation is the simplest. Device> | <battery
Go ahead and throw a 9V battery into fresh water and leave it for a day or so.
Take it out and shake the water off. It is still good (The contact may rust later, but a different choice of material could get around that) If you look at some of the Cellphone batteries, they have Gold plated contacts. No rust
Old 07-04-2023, 09:24 AM   #38
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
That's my current driver, too. I think it may have gotten its last Security Update recently, so I should really start looking for a new one. But that was the last flagship to include a headphone jack and an SD slot, so it's going to be very painful to give up.
I just now looked at new phones, because I didn't know they took away the headphone & sd slot. But it looks like the min starting point for storage is 128gb and goes up from there.

They are giving people what they want and people want more storage and to be wire free.

I'm all right with both of those being gone. My S10e has 128gb of storage which is plenty for me because of the way I use my phone. I don't have a lot of apps cluttering it up. So long as it fits my music & my ebook collection I'm happy. And I have converted over to bluetooth for listening to my headphones, I love not having to be tethered to my phone with a cord!

I don't worry about updates, I will keep this phone until either the battery dies , I run out of room, or they come out with a new phone that has features I just can't do without.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 10:34 AM   #39
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
They are giving people what they want and people want more storage and to be wire free.
It's kind of funny that with cloud and 5G people are moving to storing nothing on their phones.
Old 07-04-2023, 11:56 AM   #40
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
It's kind of funny that with cloud and 5G people are moving to storing nothing on their phones.
Oddly, I'm finding the opposite. Admittedly, these are corporate issued phones but we are finding that people are storing more data on their phones. The data is also backed up in the cloud but most people don't seem to be aware that they could move their pictures, videos, music, documents, etc. off their devices and have it available on demand.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 07:13 PM   #41
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
[QUOTE=Quoth;4333238]All gadget batteries in gadgets sold in EU to be user replaceable by 2027.
They used to be.

https://www.theregister.com/2023/06/...y_eu/?td=rt-3a

I liked the USB-C mandate. This battery replacement mandate is also pretty good but since the batteries are internal parts to the "gadget," it will impact on design, size and maybe usefulness.

When I was a young engineer it was quite a challenge to unsolder a large chip bonded on a circuit board with a wave soldering machine.
Sometimes manufacturers went to Zif or ZIP sockets but they were much more expensive.

I can see a battery assembly that is connected via socket in a gadget.
An example is the battery in a home phone handset.
There you have 2 AAA batteries soldered together and connected to the handset via a simple wired plug which is well within the scope of the average DIY owner.

If the battery is shaped or sized in an unusual way, then a supplier must be available for an ordinary user. I think that requiring every gadget to be powered by replaceable or rechargeable AAA or AA batteries is a "bridge too far."

Last edited by frahse; 07-07-2023 at 09:16 PM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 12:08 AM   #42
Vrondi
Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Vrondi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (First Gen).
Quote:
There is. It's trivial and common. A 3.5mm jack socket or USB-C is harder but regularly done.
Before glued shut phones became trendy, there were Android smartphones that were water resistant/waterproof. This includes of the Samsung Galaxy S4 "Active" and similar models they once made. At that time, this included silicone gaskets for the battery compartment and rubber plugs for the charging port, etc. Since that time, the tech has come a long way with things like hydrophobic coatings for plugs and circuit boards. I'm sure we can do a lot better now than then, with some thoughtful design.
Vrondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 06:14 AM   #43
Renate
Wizard

[QUOTE=frahse;4337959]
Quote:
I think that requiring every gadget to be powered by replaceable or rechargeable AAA or AA batteries is a "bridge too far."
The Onyx Poke3 uses a battery that is 2.5 mm thick, so that would hardly work.