Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-08-2018, 05:13 AM   #1
lillumultipass
lillumultipass began at the beginning.

Device: Brand new Kindle Oasis
Future user with some questions

Hi everyone,

I am going to receive my Onyx note tomorrow I think and I have a few questions :

1. what are the first things I have to do when I get it ? I guess update it to the latest firmware ? Also, are they must-have apps to download? I'd rather keep it simple and not root my device

2. The thing I plan to do most with the Note (I think) is reading a book and highlight some passages and take notes and, ideally, be able to sync via the could the resulting file AND export the highlights/notes. Is that even possible ? If so, what's the best format to do so ? Pdf ? Epub ? Mobi ? Are there some readers ​wich are better suited for this purpose ? Right now, I do so with my ipad and use pdfs for rather technical papers (I sometimes export the text I highlighted using PDF Expert) and mobi (and the kindle app) for non-fiction books: I then export the Kindle highlights to Evernote using my laptop.

3. I also save a lot of webpages for later reading through Pocket. Is Pocket usable on the Note ? I also read a lot of RSS thanks to Inoreader. Can I use an RSS reader with the note ? I have heard about Reabble wivh is a e-ink web-based RSS reader, but if something like Inoreader works, all the better.

I guess that's it for now.

thanks !
lillumultipass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:43 AM   #2
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
I use pocket every day on the max and works pretty good and read also rss with feedly
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:24 AM   #3
lillumultipass
lillumultipass began at the beginning.

Device: Brand new Kindle Oasis
thanks !

No one else ?

I am sure some of my questions have already been addressed, but I tried searching on google and did not find very clear answers.
So a link towards a post/topic discussing those questions would also be of great help as I am supposed to receive it today (I am excited!).
lillumultipass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:39 PM   #4
wherahiko
Enthusiast
wherahiko has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wherahiko has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wherahiko has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kindle PW 3
Quote:
1. what are the first things I have to do when I get it ? I guess update it to the latest firmware ? Also, are they must-have apps to download? I'd rather keep it simple and not root my device
The first thing I did was sign in to Google Play; I then downloaded Dropbox and my other apps. The apps I use on the device are Kindle; Bluefire (for academic library books); Dropbox (for getting files onto the Note); Firefox (if you install Bluefire, it will take over all pdfs downloaded in the default browser, so I use Firefox to download non-library pdfs); Inoreader; Kobo; and Overdrive. There are many apps people use to customise the device (screen rotation; button remapping; alternative launchers) but I haven't got into this yet.

Quote:
2. The thing I plan to do most with the Note (I think) is reading a book and highlight some passages and take notes and, ideally, be able to sync via the could the resulting file AND export the highlights/notes. Is that even possible ? If so, what's the best format to do so ? Pdf ? Epub ? Mobi ? Are there some readers ​wich are better suited for this purpose ?
I use the default reader (Neoreader2) for pdfs. I find it terrible for Epubs (limited selection of fonts other than over 100 variants of Noto Sans; hyphenation works strangely; no option to set left-aligned text, limited ability to set margins and line spacing), so I use my Kobo for epubs. The Kindle app works beautifully, and I'm thinking of trying Google Books for epubs.

Quote:
3. I also save a lot of webpages for later reading through Pocket. Is Pocket usable on the Note ? I also read a lot of RSS thanks to Inoreader. Can I use an RSS reader with the note ? I have heard about Reabble wivh is a e-ink web-based RSS reader, but if something like Inoreader works, all the better.
I installed Pocket and it worked fine, but I didn't like having to scroll (rather than 'turn' the pages), so have gone back to reading Pocket articles on my Kobo. Inoreader works fine (though there's still the scrolling problem). You can see a review of Inoreader on the Note here (in Spanish): http://tinta-e.blogspot.com/2018/07/...-note-103.html.

Enjoy your Note!

Last edited by wherahiko; 08-09-2018 at 06:42 PM.
wherahiko is offline   Reply With Quote