Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-27-2010, 03:49 AM   #1
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
[US] - Did everyone's kindle ship via UPS Ground"?

Instead of derailing another thread over this, I thought I'd start my own.

Is it fair for Amazon to advertise 2nd day shipping, and then ship via UPS Ground?

My gripe lately is that amazon said, when I ordered the kindle 3, "Order now and choose two day shipping to ensure release-date delivery"...if you've been following any other threads, you just rolled your eyes at me repeating this again.

The situation with me is that since amazon cheaped out on shipping and chose "Ground," I will miss my "release date delivery" and receive the shipment instead on Monday.

Is it fair to tell everyone they'll receive two-day shipping, and then ship via Ground from various distribution centers such that *most* people end up receiving theirs on release day, but a handful don't?

As a marketplace seller, I have a feeling they'd be a little miffed at me if a buyer chose "Two-Day" shipping and I shipped via media mail because they were from the next state over, and I figured it would get there pretty quickly anyway, probably within two days. I feel like that's what they've done here, and in a way, I feel sorta cheated.

Is amazon slacking off lately? I emailed them about this and they basically said, "those aren't promises, sometimes things happen, enjoy your kindle" ...at this point, I'm wondering to myself if they've ever looked the word "ensure" up in the dictionary. It freaking means "guarantee". They're going to play semantics with me? On this?

Last edited by matt314159; 08-27-2010 at 03:54 AM.
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:31 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Did it really say "release day delivery"? The advert on the UK site said "release day shipping", which is rather different.

There's no point in getting annoyed about it. They've obviously been overwhelmed with orders, and there have been delays as a result. I'm sure there's no sinister conspiracy to deprive you of your Kindle.

I've just been told that my Kindle, which was ordered on the 29th, is "probably going to ship in the next 2 or 3 days". It's a little annoying, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 04:51 AM   #3
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm sure there's no sinister conspiracy to deprive you of your Kindle.
I never said, or even implied, that there was. I suppose I just expected a higher level of service from Amazon over it. I'm of the opinion that a company should under-promise and over-deliver, rather than make even the smallest promise they can't keep.

How about the fact that I chose "two-day" shipping, and instead received a shipment via ground courier? Regardless of the fact that they're clearly swamped with orders, if they'd have used UPS 2nd day air instead of Ground, they could have met their commitment. They shipped it on the right day, they just chose the wrong shipping method!

*edit*
Quote:
Did it really say "release day delivery"? The advert on the UK site said "release day shipping", which is rather different.
Yes, it most definitely did say release date "Delivery" at the time I ordered my kindle.

Here's a few places where we've talked about the language on amazon's page for the Kindle 3 in the US (and I am pretty sure the US is the only place they actually promised "release date delivery")

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=260
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=60

Where I quoted it on the day it was announced (just to show you I'm not just "remembering wrong" or something):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=14

Searching google images, I found (and uploaded to my own photobucket account for safekeeping) the screengrab of what it showed on July 29th:

Original Link to the blog post that hosted the photo

Two-Day Shipping = Fail
Release-Date Delivery = Fail.

Last edited by matt314159; 08-27-2010 at 05:26 AM.
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:32 AM   #4
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt314159 View Post
Is amazon slacking off lately?
They do appear to be, I'm sad to say.

I've never had anything but excellent service from them in the last decade. On my last order from a few weeks ago, however, I paid for 2 day shipping, yet I watched it take 4 days to travel to me. UPS told me Amazon sent it by ground mail.

Customer service did refund my money, and the rep was polite, but not as accommodating as in past experiences. i.e., I wasn't offered a refund for the 2 day shipping; I only got one after pushing for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt314159 View Post
I emailed them about this and they basically said, "those aren't promises, sometimes things happen, enjoy your kindle" ...at this point, I'm wondering to myself if they've ever looked the word "ensure" up in the dictionary. It freaking means "guarantee". They're going to play semantics with me? On this?
Indeed.

And while they might try to distance themselves from the word, it's right there on Amazon's own page explaining shipping expectations:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon
Also, when you select One-Day or Two-Day Shipping, we may use air or ground shipping as necessary to get your items to you within the promised time frame."
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...3043211/pop-up
Be glad you weren't also insulted with the that no one(!) was getting their Kindle shipped until Friday, and that all reports to the contrary were not credible.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:42 AM   #5
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Did it really say "release day delivery"?
It definitely said "to ensure release day delivery" for US customers.

I'm not upset about a delay, either. I'm not in a rush to get mine.

I am very disillusioned by the inexcusably poor handling of this rollout by customer service. There have been a few points in the last weeks, in which a statement should have been given to calm the masses, but never were.

Many CS reps have clearly been left out of the loop, giving out obviously false and conflicting information.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 09:41 AM   #6
Buran
Geek
Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis Waterproof 32GB 3G (without offers)
Mine did ship via ground, but I did get it next day as selected (paid $4 for Prime next-day).

Ground from Indianapolis to the St. Louis area is indeed that fast. I had thought that the appropriate shipping speed for the shipping and receiving locations was selected, but I guess that isn't quite the case.
Buran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:11 AM   #7
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
My unit shipped via FedEx. I received it next day. No complaints here.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:28 AM   #8
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
2 day air plus UPS ground

I used the free shipping option from Amazon.

They did ship yesterday using "2 day air" from Louisville, KY. at 4:16 P.M. It arrived at my local UPS depot at 6:04 P.M. It was then shipped by truck to my local UPS branch at 4:13 A.M today. It arrived there at 5:50 A.M.

It has now been out for delivery since 7:05 A.M.

On my street deliveries usually take place around 6:30 PM so that is probably when it will arrive at my door.

Obviously, when they promise "2 day air" the plane does not land in your back yard.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:49 AM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

I ordered on the July 28. Amazon shipped my K3 WiFi only on Aug 25th via UPS ground and my cover on Aug 26 via 2nd Day Air. Both were shipped from Lexington, KY and both are listed by UPS as on the truck and out for delivery today.

I think Amazon was a bit overwhelmed by the large number of K3 sales. It has outsold all other Kindle models during their initial releases and it has outsold any other item ever sold on Amazon during the same time duration. I wish they would release figures, but they don't do that.

Last edited by jswinden; 08-27-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:12 AM   #10
kindle79
kindle79 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
I ordered on the 30th and they shipped via USPS vs UPS on the 26th, I assume to meet the 2-day delivery that was offered free with the device.
As the post office will deliver on Saturday and UPS will not, the 28th is my expected delivery date.

On a separate note, I've nothing but glowing reports from Amazon's customer service, each and every time I've called they have gone out of their way to bring a satisfactory resolution to the issue.

+1 for Amazon CS
kindle79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:13 AM   #11
danachee
danachee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3, Kindle Touch, Paperwhite 1, Voyage
Mine is also coming ground (in the truck for delivery as I type this). But since its only coming from outside Philadelphia, ground is fine for 2day:

NEWARK, NJ, US 08/27/2010 7:45 A.M. OUT FOR DELIVERY
08/27/2010 4:03 A.M. DESTINATION SCAN
08/27/2010 3:35 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
HORSHAM, PA, US 08/27/2010 1:14 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
HORSHAM, PA, US 08/26/2010 3:07 P.M. ORIGIN SCAN
US 08/26/2010 6:46 P.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED
danachee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:19 AM   #12
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I paid $3.99 for one day shipping.
They shipped on 8/25, I received it on 8/26. They did ship it ground but I received it overnight one day early from their indicated day.

In my case - obviously no complaints at all. How could I possibly complain?
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:20 AM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Mine's coming ground as well. It's quite common for them to ship things ground for two day shipping (or even one day) if you're close enough to the warehouse. Mine shipped on the 26th and will arrive on the 30th which is two days (not counting the weekend). It's just that they should have shipped it on the 25th to meet the release day delivery and didn't.

I'm sure they have had a lot to ship, but it's not like it's the first time they've had a big release (the Harry Potter books) and done release day delivery.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:21 AM   #14
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Rather than slacking off, I don't think Bezos's whip-hand would allow that, Amazon is probably just overwhelmed with a higher demand than even they expected.

Edit: Also, no kindle shipment yet (sigh), but my case shipped UPS ground and should be here today.

Last edited by carld; 08-27-2010 at 11:31 AM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:24 AM   #15
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 Touch, Kindle Fire, HP Touchpad
I'm a long time Prime member and all of the 2 day shipping items I've received were shipped via Ground.

I personally selected one day Prime shipping for the additional $3.99 and my K3 shipped via UPS Next Day Air Saver.
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote