Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-08-2008, 04:03 PM   #1
Napoleon
Master of the Universe
Napoleon is on a distinguished road

Device: Irex Iliad 2/e
Surely Not Elegant but -possibly- effective

Thanks to many members of the (developers) forum, I've come to understand some of the complications surrounding any possible modification/enhancement of the contentlister "6 files-per-page" way of working. These can all be summarized as:
(written in stone)
"Thou shalt not change contentlister".

Actually, it seems this unbearable form of punishment can be traced back to the dreadful day the Lord expulsed Adam and Eve from the garden of Eden.

Anyway, I think we can find a way around this.

Voilà mon idée:
When synchronizing pdfs from the pc to the iliad, a (let's say) perl script could be used to create a custom formatted html file containing a list (with some level of descriptive detail) of all the current and newly added files, and links to them. Being only one file that contains the whole list, this file can be searched for a particular publication. (I'm sorry, but I'm thinking of scientific journal articles here, in case you haven't noticed yet.)
Clicking on the link on the html file will take the user directly to the pdf file, using the (i presume) default viewer.

Furthermore, this can be integrated to existent bibtex managers, so that the html file created by the script can be based on a .bib file. Furthermore, this can also be implemented directly if you happen to own a private library of papers at SAO/NASA ADS reference service (freely available at adsabs.harvard.edu).

Notes on any of these files can also be easily listed in the html file created by the script, if this is properly programmed to do so.

This will reduce the navigation through the contentlister to:
a) Choosing the "index" html file,
b) navigating or searching it for a particular publication
c) clicking the link to the pdf & start producing!

I know this is not an elegant solution, but I think it can work!
[See, Napoleon is not famous for his elegance, but for his effectiveness]

So, What do you think?

Always remember:
"Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools."

Napoleon Bonaparte

Last edited by Napoleon; 12-08-2008 at 04:25 PM. Reason: bad text wrapping due to compulsive tendency to press 'enter'
Napoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:00 PM   #2
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
IIRC you can't link to other documents (PDF etc.) from a HTML file on the iLiad. Well, you can link them, but they won't open.
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2008, 04:04 AM   #3
Napoleon
Master of the Universe
Napoleon is on a distinguished road

Device: Irex Iliad 2/e
Ok, thanks for your info Thomas. I don't know about you, but
this situation reminds me of a particular formulation of the four laws of thermodynamics:

Zeroth: "You must play the game."
First: "You can't win."
Second: "You can't break even."
Third: "You can't quit the game."

Ad hoc attempt for a solution (i've lost all dignity here):

What if instead of the link to the pdf, we use explicitly the command line call to the document viewer? (eg, "xpdf /path/myfile.pdf" or whatever viewer is it that Iliad uses) Is this possible?
[I mean, like javascript or something similar]

Last edited by Napoleon; 12-09-2008 at 06:19 AM. Reason: added last line
Napoleon is offline   Reply With Quote