Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
wayne2612
Enthusiast
wayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 6, iPad 3, MacBook Pro with Retina
Apple apply for a patent for authors to digitally autograph your ebooks.

Don't you find one of the drawbacks with ebooks is when you meet an author you have no book for them to autograph?
It looks like maybe Apple will have an app for that at some point in the future.
I came across this interesting article that describes how it could be implemented.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/...d-music-albums
wayne2612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
There is already an app for that http://www.autography.com and of course there's http://www.authorgraph.com as another method for signed eBooks.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #3
wayne2612
Enthusiast
wayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 6, iPad 3, MacBook Pro with Retina
Oh so there is, I never knew about these. Thanks for the info.
wayne2612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:09 AM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
There is already an app for that http://www.autography.com and of course there's http://www.authorgraph.com as another method for signed eBooks.
But apple did it FIRST, they INVENTED it!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:23 AM   #5
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Maybe I'm old fashioned but a digital autograph just doesn't do it for me. If I were passionate enough to go meet the author then I would probably buy the physical book.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Meh. Take a white cardboard card and a Sharpie.

Have the card signed. Scan it. Extract the signature and put it onto a cover. Stick the cover into the book, replacing the old one. Done. Takes about five minutes.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
I don't care any about getting my books signed so from me. Though I do have some signed by one author but it's more accidental than anything else (long-ish story there that I will not bore you with!)

If however I really wanted one signed for some reason, then like Canuck_in_Japan, I'd just buy a paper copy.

Last edited by Yolina; 09-28-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:20 AM   #8
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
I don't care any about getting my books signed so from me

If however I really wanted one signed for some reason, then like Canuck_in_Japan, I'd just buy a paper copy.
If it's such an epic book that I want to have it signed by the author, I'd buy the hardcover for sure. The only two books I can think of right now are Tolkien (LotR) and Clavell (Shogun), and they're both dead. They died before I first read a work by them.

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-29-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #9
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Maybe I'm old fashioned but a digital autograph just doesn't do it for me. If I were passionate enough to go meet the author then I would probably buy the physical book.
You can be both passionate and modern: Have the author sign the back of the e-reader!
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #10
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I am sorry but digital signature just doesn't feel the same. First edition and first printing wouldn't feel the same either. eBook just doesn't have the same collectible value as a printed book. It must be tangible in order to have a considerable value among collectors.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:08 AM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
I am sorry but digital signature just doesn't feel the same. First edition and first printing wouldn't feel the same either. eBook just doesn't have the same collectible value as a printed book. It must be tangible in order to have a considerable value among collectors.
I agree on the collectible aspect, but surely for some readers that's not what having their book signed is about. It's about the experience of meeting and talking to the author, etc.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:46 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Meh. Take a white cardboard card and a Sharpie.
What's a "sharpie"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #13
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What's a "sharpie"?
Here you have one:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sharpie.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	112348  
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:48 AM   #14
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
If it's such an epic book that I want to have it signed by the author, I'd buy the hardcover for sure. The only two books I can think of right now are Tolkien (LotR) and Clavell (Shogun), and they're both dead. The died before I first read a work by them.
Clavell is dead? OMG I had no idea!

*edit* Oh, 1994. Wow, I really missed the boat on that one! lol
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I found all the flowcharts/diagrams of the infrastructure involved/invested in making autographs "appear" in digital books quite amusing.

A very long, winding driveway to a rather unimpressive house.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote