Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #16
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
I am curious what differences there are between the free and premium version of aldiko. Curiously, I cannot find such info on their site.
From the Aldiko site:
The free version is advertisement supported while the premium version is not. Both the free and premium versions have the same set of features at this point except the premium version will get faster updates.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #17
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Thanks, did not see that.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #18
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

oops! deleted...did not see that I had already posted the info
Old 01-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #19
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Well, I'll have to look into it some more. The Aldiko version I installed was 2.00.151, not 127 as in your link. Probably makes no difference here. I couldn't see any option to edit preferences in ADE, but the help page on the web said "Connect the supported eReader device to your computer and launch Digital Editions. Digital Editions automatically detects the presence of your device and offers to authorize it with your Adobe ID". I did that, hoping ADE would recognize that I now had Aldiko on the Vox and would tell it to open all my books. However, when I went to my Vox, the Aldiko icon was different, with the android guy shown and it was now called "com.aldiko.android". When I tried to open it, I just got an error message. I uninstalled this and installed Aldiko all over again, but it still wouldn't import my borrowed books. I'm not sure I really want to pursue this any further.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #20
Cdesja5
Wizard

It is in the Aldiko settings which are accessed from the Vox menu button while (on the Aldiko "home" page) that you input your ADE user. You don't need to plug your device into the computer at all.
Advert
Old 01-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #21
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Gotcha! I thought I had to do it in ADE. I can now load books I own, but still not library books I have out.

Edit: Never mind, I did manage to import a library book, but I had to do it via Dropbox.

Last edited by oldyellr; 01-06-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #22
Cdesja5
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
Gotcha! I thought I had to do it in ADE. I can now load books I own, but still not library books I have out.

Edit: Never mind, I did manage to import a library book, but I had to do it via Dropbox.
you can import books that are checked out wirelessly by adding a catalog:
on a web browser, go to your public library, to the login screen for your Overdrive account, copy the link address (url)
open Aldiko
1. in aldiko, tap on the home icon
2. tap on my catalogues
3. tap on the + sign
4. in the new window, enter a name for your catalog (whatever you want ie. overdrive)
5. paste the web address (or enter manually) for the library's Overdrive login page
6. save

see my earlier post to see what to do from there...

Last edited by Cdesja5; 01-06-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #23
oldyellr
Evangelist

Okay, that's where I get lost. My home page in Aldiko shows 4 icons called "Shelf view", "Store", "List View" and "Files". At the bottom it shows "Recent reads". I don't have "My Catalogs" and "Files" is a file explorer.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #24
Cdesja5
Wizard

you have the newest version then, 2.1... go to store then tap on the Vox menu button, catalog is on the menu that will show up on the bottom of the screen.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #25
oldyellr
Evangelist

Finally! Thanks for walking me through this, Cdesja5. I'll now have to spend more time familiarizing myself with Aldiko. I've already discovered I can turn down the brightness a lot more than with the Kobo reader. If only there were a way to dim the three Vox "buttons". They're like high beams in your face when reading in night mode in the dark with the screen dimmed.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #26
peterhondak
Zealot
peterhondak is on a distinguished road

Device: KoboMini (mine and MIL) KoboVox(returned), sonytouch(mom's),samsung7"
so when you downloaded Overdrive and picked your library it didn't remember it. I have 2 library cards. but when I go to overdrive and press menu, and choose "add a book" it gives me my 2 libraries only. But I think at some point I was asked to "add a library"
peterhondak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #27
Cdesja5
Wizard

Old Yellr, You're welcome!
Old 01-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #28
Cdesja5
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterhondak View Post
so when you downloaded Overdrive and picked your library it didn't remember it. I have 2 library cards. but when I go to overdrive and press menu, and choose "add a book" it gives me my 2 libraries only. But I think at some point I was asked to "add a library"
You can set up the 2 cards on 2 separate catalogs, just copy the overdrive url (after your login) into the url box in Aldiko and identify each with a different name. You have to get the urls off of the web site in a web browser, I use Dolphin and it's fairly easy to copy and then paste into Aldiko.

I am assuming that you are asking about getting your books from 2 different overdrive accounts into Aldiko?

Last edited by Cdesja5; 01-06-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:46 PM   #29
oldyellr
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterhondak View Post
If I recall, when I originally got Overdrive working, I had to "add a library" to choose my library. I don't think my library was in the menu the next time, so I had to "add a library" again. However, now it's always there. Not sure what happened, but I might have removed my microSD card without unmounting it so it lost that information.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:37 PM   #30
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
a [select library] dropdown box and then a list of hundreds of libraries I have to scroll through by swiping the screen to select my library. Usually one of the other libraries opens up while swiping the screen, or I overshoot, and it takes a dozen tries to finally log in.
Did I misunderstand your problem?
I access my library through Overdrive. Press the centre button then "Get Books". The only libraries that will appear in the list are the ones where I have previously created an account.

(But I found that "Add a library" doesn't work very well. It doesn't find them. Better to go to the actual library's home page and add them from there.)

They are added here automatically when you create an account using the library's home page. I have 2 now, my city library and gutenberg.org.

Update:
I clicked on your link and got all excited thinking there was a big Ontario Library Download centre I could use, in addition to my local public library. But it turns out not to be for people in big cities like mine, only for people in smaller places that don't have their own ebook support system yet. This is not well explained on the site and I had to deduce it finally by thrashing around! I tried to email them feedback about this but you can only send feedback to your library, not about their site!

Last edited by Laridae; 01-08-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote