Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-22-2011, 08:14 AM   #1
Kestra Troi
Kestra Troi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Kindle for Linux PC?

Greetings! First post, but have been lurking for months.

I have a 2nd Gen Kindle and will most likely be getting a Kindle 4 NT for Christmas (judging by the hints that have been dropped). I have about 500 books on the K2, organized into collections. I'd like some tips on moving my collections to the K4. I've looked through the forums and can't find anything that fits my situation.

My PC is a netbook running Ubuntu Linux, and there isn't a Kindle for Linux PC available. I had a look at Calibre, but to my shame, couldn't even figure out how to download it. So how can I move my collections to the K4?

Thanks!
Kestra Troi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Whatever Linux distro you are using should offer a package manager / software center where you can install calibre (and thousands of other app). You don't download software separately in Linux as long as your distro offers a package for it.

Otherwise as long as both kindles have wifi/3g you should be able to sync them through Amazon directly, no?
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2011, 08:38 AM   #3
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
The Ubuntu package seems to be 0.8.29 http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=calibre and the latest at http://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux is 0.8.31 as of this writing. The easiest way to install is to use the package manager in ubuntu and simply click install. But as Calibre gets new releases quite often and thus the ubuntu repository may lag a little you may like to install it yourself. Check the instructions at http://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux and ask again if there is something missing.
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:50 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The latest version of Kindle for PC will work fine with newer versions of WINE. You can use that to migrate your collections to your new device.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
Kestra Troi

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Otherwise as long as both kindles have wifi/3g you should be able to sync them through Amazon directly, no?
Well, the K2 has 3g only and the K4 has wifi only. How would I go about doing this?

Otherwise I guess I'll have to ask the hubby to get me Calibre, since I don't really understand Linux. He's the one who deals with updates and stuff.

Thanks for your suggestions, I just hoped there was a simple solution, like using Kindle for PC in the K4 tips thread.
Advert
Old 12-22-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I'll have to ask the hubby to get me Calibre, since I don't really understand Linux. Thanks for your suggestions, I just hoped there was a simple solution, like using Kindle for PC in the K4 tips thread.
I'm telling you... if you have a relatively new version of WINE installed on your Linux PC, you can easily install and use Kindle for PC. Tell the hubby what I said.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:15 AM   #7
Kestra Troi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm telling you... if you have a relatively new version of WINE installed on your Linux PC, you can easily install and use Kindle for PC. Tell the hubby what I said.
Thanks, I'll ask him if he can sort that out for me. Sounds easier than getting Calibre.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
I don't quite understand. Why do you need wine to install Calibre on linux? why not just use it natively?

Code:
sudo python -c "import urllib2; exec urllib2.urlopen('http://status.calibre-ebook.com/linux_installer').read(); main()"
http://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:02 PM   #9
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinew View Post
I don't quite understand. Why do you need wine to install Calibre on linux? why not just use it natively?
Not Calibre. **Kindle for pc**
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:35 PM   #10
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas777 View Post
Not Calibre. **Kindle for pc**
ah... yes I misread.

To the OP, that's how you download Calibre, and I would recommend getting calibre anyway even if you're using Kindle for PC with wine, it's useful.
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:40 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Whatever Linux distro you are using should offer a package manager / software center where you can install calibre (and thousands of other app). You don't download software separately in Linux as long as your distro offers a package for it.

I highly recommend NOT using the distro versions (ex: the Ubuntu version isa really stale version) of Calibre.
Goto the Calibre Linux Download page and use the command line install
Weekly Updates to be done the same way.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote