Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-17-2011, 12:09 PM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I want a Nook Touch with audio, so I'm waiting for the next Kindle to deliver it.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:09 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
will they all keep singing the same song or will the kindle touch become just awesome and "how did I ever think buttons were better"? Some how I think all of a sudden a touch kindle will just become "magical".
As long as it retains page turn buttons - that's the vital thing. As I say, I strongly dislike reading on a screen with fingerprints on it, and do find that to be a significant issue on the Sony.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #18
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
As long as it retains page turn buttons - that's the vital thing. As I say, I strongly dislike reading on a screen with fingerprints on it, and do find that to be a significant issue on the Sony.
it would be interesting to see if the nook uses a different clear screen that the sony. I'm sure the panal is the same but I wonder if the thin screen is different.

The screens at Barnes and noble don't have any noticable fingerprints or smudges on the screen and people play with them all day. The nook color's are a mess with smudges kind of like going into a cell phone store and checking out the smart phones and tablets. all smudgy.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:21 PM   #19
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I want a Nook Touch with audio, so I'm waiting for the next Kindle to deliver it.
just clip your Sansa to your nook touch cover and there you go
Old 06-17-2011, 12:24 PM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
just clip your Sansa to your nook touch cover and there you go
...a clip touch
Advert
Old 06-17-2011, 12:26 PM   #21
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
...a clip touch
you had better trademark that right away. I like it
Old 06-17-2011, 12:29 PM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
it would be interesting to see if the nook uses a different clear screen that the sony. I'm sure the panal is the same but I wonder if the thin screen is different.
That's very possibly true. Good point.

Quote:
The screens at Barnes and noble don't have any noticable fingerprints or smudges on the screen and people play with them all day. The nook color's are a mess with smudges kind of like going into a cell phone store and checking out the smart phones and tablets. all smudgy.
At least, though, with a backlit screen, it may look a mess when it's off, but you don't see the fingerprints when it's turned on. My iPhone and iPad both look like a mass of fingerprints when they're turned off, but the fingerprints are completely invisible when I'm using the machine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:30 PM   #23
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's very possibly true. Good point.

At least, though, with a backlit screen, it may look a mess when it's off, but you don't see the fingerprints when it's turned on. My iPhone and iPad both look like a mass of fingerprints when they're turned off, but the fingerprints are completely invisible when I'm using the machine.
very true
Old 06-17-2011, 12:36 PM   #24
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Well, I'm another who fears that when the Kindle 4 is released I will lose my keyboard. I played around with the new Nook the other day and the ghosting issue was noticeable enough to bother me. I wonder if that will eventually solved through a firmware update.

It's kind of curious to me that the Consumer Report thing discounted the Kindle mp3 function, as well as the web browser -- and does the nook simple touch have Text To Speech? I'm not sure but I don't think it does.

But overall I pretty much agree with them that the devices are fairly equal at this point and which you prefer is largely going to be determined by which website you prefer. I have both the Kindles and the nook color and I find myself shopping 1. Kobo when I have a good coupon code and then 2. Amazon. Barnes and Noble I visit every Friday to pick up their free book. Good for me, not so much for them.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #25
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
will they all keep singing the same song or will the kindle touch become just awesome and "how did I ever think buttons were better"? Some how I think all of a sudden a touch kindle will just become "magical".
If the new e-ink Kindle requires touch for anything more than the keyboard (which I rarely use anyway), I'll stick with my K3 til it breaks. I may even buy another K3 for backup.

The only thing that will cause me to buy a newer Kindle is a significant screen quality improvement. Otherwise, my K3 is 'mission accomplished' for ebooks.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:52 PM   #26
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
It's kind of curious to me that the Consumer Report thing discounted the Kindle mp3 function, as well as the web browser -- and does the nook simple touch have Text To Speech? I'm not sure but I don't think it does.
Audiobooks and text-to speech are important features for me. I could forgo the T2S, but not audiobooks.

It's a shame B&N dropped the audio player, because I was ready to get the new Nook. Now I'm waiting for a touch Kindle with audio.

The new Nook has no audio player or speakers.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:00 PM   #27
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
BTW, yesterday I finally got to trying out iPad 2. Gotta say it's the single greatest experience with ebooks I ever saw. Tried out a couple of gutenberg epubs as well as Winnie the Pooh illustrated. Sharp color imaging, quick and smooth transition between single-page portrait mode and 2-page landscape mode. Plus, it's truly slim and has such a great feeling in holding it.

almost makes me salivating after one. But as amazing as it is, I still prefer pocket computing...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:00 PM   #28
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I actually like the keyboard on my Kindle 2. I can make annotations relatively quick with it. Like others have mentioned, I have heard that the Nook's touch screen isn't the best when it comes to accuracy. I'm probably going to upgrade to the Kindle 3 in the near future, since to me, it is the better form factor.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:03 PM   #29
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I actually like the keyboard on my Kindle 2. I can make annotations relatively quick with it. Like others have mentioned, I have heard that the Nook's touch screen isn't the best when it comes to accuracy. I'm probably going to upgrade to the Kindle 3 in the near future, since to me, it is the better form factor.
that's interesting almost every reviewer has raved on just how accurate and speedy the new nooks keyboard is.

When I gave it a test run, I would say it's just shy of lcd keyboards for it's speed and it was very accurate. I think they did a wonderful job on it.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:07 PM   #30
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
I'm unhappy with the "touch screen" madness. The major reason that ebooks were created were to help the disabled and now we're trying to make it harder and harder for the disabled to use ereaders.

My blind cousin - who's been ereading for years - just got a K3 a few months ago. Why just a few months ago? Because that is when the Kindle finally became accessible. Don't even get me started with the remaining ereaders.

While I love my kobo and really like the other devices, I'm saddened that we are leaving out a huge segment of the population.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote